Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 am
All times are UTC + 0
Red Alert 2 + New computer.
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject:  Red Alert 2 + New computer. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So. I bought a new computer not to long ago, as i also felt i'm going back to modding thus installing Red Alert 2.

The only annoying problem i have that it's running slow as hell. On gamespeed 6 i get like 10 fps or even slower whenever a conyard or something like that get's blown up, and when i move the screen over a base it's really slow and laggy. I have the TFD version installed for the matters.

Computer specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@ 2,40Ghz
XFX GeForce 9600 GT, PCIx16 2.0 512 MB 650mhz/900mhz (But plugged to normal PCIx16 port)
Corsair Dominator/w fan 2x2GB, 1066Mhz
Western Digital HDD 7200rpm, 500GB
EDIT: Win XP Professional 32 Bit, SP3

I can run Crysis on Max Graphics without ANY lag at all, but Red Alert 2? No.

Someone got any clue what this can be?

Thanks in Advance.
//Chrisse

EDIT: Important, Read Beowulf's First post. Problem Solved, for all having the same problem Wink

http://open.spotify.com/track/3B5lZi3QJ8AeVpdLtO9NcI

www.myspce.com/ttex91 (Listen to my music (Outdated)).

Last edited by Chrisse on Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:03 pm; edited 2 times in total

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Use compability mode, and set it to Windows 98/ME... Works for me Wink

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is automaticly set when installing TFD because it won't start without it, so it didn't fix my problem Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OS?

NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ra2 is a old game to. It may not be compabilty with dual core or something else.

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Win XP Professional 32 Bit, SP3

And RA2 worked just fine on my old computer which had Dual Core and the same OS.

NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

could be 32 bit(dunno what I have, one of these require a patch that VK made) or SP3.
I havent installed SP3 yet, waiting on a swe version of it.

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NewGuy wrote:
could be 32 bit(dunno what I have, one of these require a patch that VK made) or SP3.
I havent installed SP3 yet, waiting on a swe version of it.

Swe version is already out, i have the Swe version of it.

Still havent got it fixed, updated TFD, DirectX and GFX Drivers. Still no result.

Somebody Else
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Limit it to only one CPU core, that might help, it helped me with a few things (Task Manager -> processes -> right click -> set affinity). Preferably the second one. I heard something about RA2 using the CPU for transparency instead of the graphics card, and that it dislikes dual cores.

- Somebody Else

NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Somebody Else wrote:
Limit it to only one CPU core, that might help, it helped me with a few things (Task Manager -> processes -> right click -> set affinity). Preferably the second one. I heard something about RA2 using the CPU for transparency instead of the graphics card, and that it dislikes dual cores.

Alright, i tried this and no result. Also i tried disabling multiple cores in BIOS with no result Sad Still after all updates, it's been a little better but far from as fast as it should be. at speed 6 without any explosions etc it's on about gamespeed 5, when explosions, etc come. it's seriously lagging.

NewGuy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrisse wrote:
when explosions, etc come. it's seriously lagging.

ahh I had that bug before. It made me crazy but I forgot how I fixed it Very Happy

Dupl3xxx
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reinstall the game? and can you play for some time, but then is suddenly ginds to a halt (like 2 SPF) or is it just when there are multipl animations? Also, try this

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Voxel engine TS and RA2 use is terribly unoptimized.

In TS, put the RA2 Apoc Tank in, and have your average Apoc assault. Your FPS should drop about 66%-75% upon viewing your tanks. Fortunately, when W$ developed RA2, they greatly improved the voxel rendering.

The worst FPS dropper in RA2/TS is the transparency of animations. Cut the transparency from explosions, smoke effects and whatnot, and you will notice a huge FPS increase, especially during battles.

Cutting combat light is also good. A huge combat light flash will cause your computer's speed to drop regardless of how good it is.

There is really nothing to do with your computer to make RA2 run faster.

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The weird thing is that it did run about 2 times faster without any FPS drops on my previous computer. While this is faster in every single way.

EDIT: Tried to set all Translucent=yes to Translucent=no in my artmd.ini and start the game. this unfortiantly had no diffrence. As before it's lagging when anims like explosions etc appears, running a little slower than my last computer when units just move around etc, general play.

EDIT2: Ok, so i tried not building a SpySat when playing and set a powerplant on build, moving to fully shrouded area (Where's no graphic involved) Now, it took me about 1 sec to build a powerplant costing 800 Credits. When Moving over a base it took me about 6 sec.

So what it looks like is, that the Graphics is the thing that slows my RA2 down really much, as we maybe already know. But to make it more clear. Also, The newer and more Graphic card i have had the slower the game has become (Graphic wise, generally) eg. on my dads computer which has an ATI Radeon 9600 with AGP Bus the game runs much faster graphic wise than this one does, which has PCIx16 2.0.

So i'm then asking myself, and everyone else. If this could be because of some settings or rendering methods the new Grahic cards use, which leads to Incompability. I'm going to test this someday with the settings i have, like maybe Disabling Anti-Aliasing and such. To see if it have an impact.
Also i'd like to know if you can Display the FPS ingame when playing RA2 to compare.

Thank you.

EDIT3: Tried to set all options on my Graphics card to minimum, still no diffrence. Hmm.

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: *Important Bump* Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so i looked around a bit on Google, where i came to a site saying something about DirectDraw. DirectDraw is a function you can either Enable of Disable in the dxdiag program (DirectX Config tool). When DirectDraw was enabled (Which it is by defeault) I had around 3 fps while blowing up a whole base with a custom Demo truck. When Disabling DirectDraw, i had around 50-60 FPS. The Problem though is, if you Disable DirectDraw. Most games will be unable to run.
And i don't know any way to only automaticly disable it when running RA2 or YR and then re-enabling it.

But it is a Solution to the problem, and a solution good enought. To have a stable gameplay.

Beowulf
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drop in RA2 directory. Might even work with TS, as well.

ddraw.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ddraw.rar
 Filesize:  16.38 KB
 Downloaded:  28596 Time(s)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beowulf wrote:

You sir... Made my day!

Tested with the file. And exact same result as if i had disabled DirectDraw, no lag, fast and smooth gameplay!

Now, what exactly did you do with that file? Or id it just that RA2 uses DirectDraw only when it's in the RA2 Directory?

Anyway this file should be stickied on a seperate topic with an Description why it's usefull.
Also, EA should include this file in the game by Defeault. Seriously.

Anyway, Thanks! Smile

Beowulf
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got that from Piscinex I believe. I'm pretty sure it's like the LAN Patch, modifies it for the game only.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does this also fix the bug in TS where the game slows down when you build a cheap structure (aka everything below $1000)?

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer wrote:
Does this also fix the bug in TS where the game slows down when you build a cheap structure (aka everything below $1000)?

It fixes the Graphical Issues. The file Disabled DirectDraw making the GFX Drawn by Software, CPU Based.

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No. That bug is due to the game's hardcoded usage of 54 gclock frames. This dll simply disables video back buffering.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Beowulf wrote:

HOOOOLY SHIT. #Shocked THIS DDRAW FILE FIXED MY TS WAVECLASS ERROR!!! (sorry for this outbreak but it was necessary)

Sonic beams and Laser work now perfectly fine!

Please, all TS player which have the WCE test this.

I love you Beowulf. Thank you very much.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Please, all TS player which have the WCE test this.
That might work better if posted in the actual TS forum...

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Kurorahk
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, thank you so much, this is something that will greatly help with just playing RA2 and TS, thank you again!

-Kurorahk-

Blaze, Demon of The Round Table, Mobuis One call me what you want I am one with the sky.

u6795
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is excellent! I've been playing RA2 for years with my new computers and each one of them had puzzling lag, especially in multiplayer.

Thank you so much, Beowulf.

Kurorahk
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well um... it is not working for me, I just get a black screen, get audio but no video when I run the game and the dll seems to be corrupted some how, mainly that it just makes the game unplayable at all now, which is really bisare...

So if someone could help me with this I would be very happy.

Before downloading the DDraw.dll it worked just fine, I remove ddraw.dll from the folder and it works just fine.

-Kurorahk-

Blaze, Demon of The Round Table, Mobuis One call me what you want I am one with the sky.

partyzanPaulZy
Commander

Location: laptop? ... otherwise the Czech Republic -> south Moravia Posts: long int Posts;

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Will try if it works for me too! Very Happy

Don't blame the others if you haven't checked your own (in)ability in the first case.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kurorahk wrote:
Before downloading the DDraw.dll it worked just fine, I remove ddraw.dll from the folder and it works just fine.
Well you only need this if you have problems in the first place...

Kurorahk
Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, I have the problem of random slow downs to a crawl or it just crashing if I view something, it has been that way since I have started playing it on my new computer that is:

1.86 GHz Duel Core
2 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7150M, 64 MB of Video RAM
(yes I know I got gibed on that part)
And it is a HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop from exactly a year ago.

I would rather not have the slow downs that I get, and have gotten since I got my computer, and have no access to a older computer such as the one I first played RA2 and TS on. And I do get WaveClass errors too, or do from time to time, anyways cool still that someone got the lag and graphics problem fixed.

-Kurorahk-

Chrisse
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kurorahk wrote:
Yes, I have the problem of random slow downs to a crawl or it just crashing if I view something, it has been that way since I have started playing it on my new computer that is:

1.86 GHz Duel Core
2 GB of RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 7150M, 64 MB of Video RAM
(yes I know I got gibed on that part)
And it is a HP Pavilion dv6000 Laptop from exactly a year ago.

I would rather not have the slow downs that I get, and have gotten since I got my computer, and have no access to a older computer such as the one I first played RA2 and TS on. And I do get WaveClass errors too, or do from time to time, anyways cool still that someone got the lag and graphics problem fixed.

-Kurorahk-

Try adding VideoBackBuffer=no in your RA2MD.ini file,
and in your SUN.ini file

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [32 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon