Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:20 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Medium is Murder
Moderators: Carnius
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
White Wolf
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject:  Medium is Murder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

guys, we know Easy's too easy, and Medium is hell, and I've got a video to prove it.

Look, we need to tweak the AI to make them less whoring on overpowered Stealth Tanks and constructing massive amounts of Tiberium Refineries.

The difficulty we faced here was a Medium Balanced, but it felt like so much more. Hell, I've got a 3-hour-long video of me against 1 Medium Balanced in Black's Big Battle. The AI expanded to all corners and spammed me with terrorists, Vertigos, and Stealth Tanks, oh yeah, and massive amounts of Avatars. 5 at one time!

I got a replay to prove it, and I'll send it to you since it seems like I can't attach it here.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AI's performance relies seriously in the map. Any AI usually performs very well on Black's Big Battle because that map has a vast amount of resources near the initial base and a bunch of tech buildings. It has too much credits for only 2 players.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Medium is Murder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

White Wolf wrote:
guys, we know Easy's too easy, and Medium is hell

IIRC, Carnius did not modify the AI, so whatever's going on is likely to do with the map or gameplay balance like the so-called OP Stealth Tanks.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Editing AI = +50% chance of the game crashing on starting a skirmish game. I've learned from experience. It works fine for a while, but after that, it just refuses any edits to the AI, and will crash your game every bloody time Sad

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yesterday I played a skirmish against a medium Nod AI as well. In a 2 player map, tiberium in the middle, forgot the name. Confused
And it sure wasn't easy, it had killed my mammoth mk2 in no time. Sad
After that, it would have taken to long an I quit.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

0warfighter0 wrote:

killed my mammoth mk2 in no time.

That's why GDI retired the bugger in the first place. It's so slow, expensive and impractical that it dies too easily. Not to mention Carnius added $2000 to its price tag and it can't be airlifted like in TS Razz

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still it looks awesome. Razz But that won't defeat the enemy...

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

0warfighter0 wrote:

it needs better range (on par with or even surpassing Juggernaut). Seriously considering the elevation of the guns that should be a given. Besides since the railguns have no movable turret it shouldn't be too unbalanced Smile

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I always imagined the MMkII to be some sort of huge artillery platform... without a minimum range.

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Then what's so "artillery" on it? Laughing

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The fact that it fires from FAAAAAR AAAAWAAAAAYYY?

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

0warfighter0 wrote:
Then what's so "artillery" on it? Laughing

Beats me. I'm still stuck on trying to figure out what's so "artillery" about the Beam Cannon. It's a small, teeny car with an ice cream cone stuck on top... it's almost cute. I hate the design. And EA had to adopt a similarly cute theme for the Specter. Argh.

Mammoth (and Titan) due to their elevation can suit as artillery platforms easily.

@sindri

Snipers can engage targets from distances measured in kilometers but you wouldn't call them artillery would you?

Artillery has to do with firepower too. usually large ordnance or projectiles.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, railguns are heavy ordnance... sort of.

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valdez wrote:
I'm still stuck on trying to figure out what's so "artillery" about the Beam Cannon. It's a small, teeny car with an ice cream cone stuck on top... it's almost cute. I hate the design. And EA had to adopt a similarly cute theme for the Specter. Argh.

I agree, the Beam cannons design is very bad.

But lets not get off-topic here. Razz

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Back to the AI then.

Don't think it should be tweaked 9doesn't see mlike any modder has succeeded in doing so effectively anyway).

Tweaking gameplay balance is more feasible. If the AI using Stealth Tanks is a problem, tweak the Stealth Tanks.

Carnius
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

White Wolf wrote
Quote:
The difficulty we faced here was a Medium Balanced, but it felt like so much more. Hell, I've got a 3-hour-long video of me against 1 Medium Balanced in Black's Big Battle. The AI expanded to all corners and spammed me with terrorists, Vertigos, and Stealth Tanks, oh yeah, and massive amounts of Avatars. 5 at one time!

That is actually problem in vanilla cnc3 too, but it´s not in all maps. In some maps is even hard balanced no problem to defeat. I don´t see in to map editing as much but it seems that in certain maps is AI driven by some script which make it more "smart".

Dutchygamer wrote:
Quote:
Editing AI = +50% chance of the game crashing on starting a skirmish game. I've learned from experience. It works fine for a while, but after that, it just refuses any edits to the AI, and will crash your game every bloody time

Yeah, I have same problem, but so far no luck. But it seems AI consider most units by price/health, when I lowered MLRS price from 1200 to 1100 AI build more these units. So balancing price and health can make AI prefer certain unit. Unfortunately this works only with single player AI. Skirmish AI is forced by code to prefer certain units. Sad

0warfighter0 wrote:
Quote:

Mammoth MK II can´t be unstoppable because of game balance

Valdes wrote:
Quote:
it needs better range (on par with or even surpassing Juggernaut). Seriously considering the elevation of the guns that should be a given. Besides since the railguns have no movable turret it shouldn't be too unbalanced

That sounds reasonable. I think I can increase his railguns range a bit.

Valdes wrote
Quote:
I'm still stuck on trying to figure out what's so "artillery" about the Beam Cannon. It's a small, teeny car with an ice cream cone stuck on top... it's almost cute.

That is soo true Valdes Laughing But still not as bad as "marvelous" units in RA3 Very Happy

Carnius
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valdes wrote:
Quote:
Tweaking gameplay balance is more feasible. If the AI using Stealth Tanks is a problem, tweak the Stealth Tanks.

It seems it is the only way. I will do something about that.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnius wrote:

Valdes wrote
Quote:
I'm still stuck on trying to figure out what's so "artillery" about the Beam Cannon. It's a small, teeny car with an ice cream cone stuck on top... it's almost cute.

That is soo true Valdes Laughing But still not as bad as "marvelous" units in RA3 Very Happy

RA3 is the wacky game. Not surprising to have wacky unit designs inside, but C&C 3 is more serious and the units should look more realistic.

If you seen the Nod Artillery in the ReGenesis mod (design adapt from Renegade's artillery)

It looks much better than the tiny Specter artillery because of the "realism" factor. FYI the design is actually based on a real life South African artillery

...the Zhukov in EndWar also uses this design with a double cannon configuration

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon