Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:00 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Opera Internet Browser
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [49 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Which is better?
Mozilla Firefox
87%
 87%  [ 27 ]
Operah
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 31

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject:  Opera Internet Browser
Subject description: Does it kick ass?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More importantly, does it kick Firefox's ass? Even more importantly, does it kick Firefox's ass AND face AND scrotum AND nose? And ULTRA more importantly, does it kick Firefox's ass AND face AND scrotum AND nose, ONE MILLION TIMES OVER!!!?

Sorry for the constant caps, but it had to be done. Does anyone even know anything about this internet browser?

The poll shall run for 10 days. Start votin'.

IN-GAME NAME: MAKINTOKE

Last edited by DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol, I thought the topic said "Oprah Internet browser". I was like "WTF?". Anyways, google is my god, so in chrome I trust.

MT
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Operah Internet Browser Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote:
blah blah blah Operah>FF

No, FF>Opera.
And the poll agrees with me 100%.

#Tongue

and watch your spelling, young'n. Opera doesn't have an "h".

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FF, until Nyer gets a look at this...[/u]

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Operah Internet Browser Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MT wrote:
DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr wrote:
blah blah blah Operah>FF

No, FF>Opera.
And the poll agrees with me 100%.

#Tongue
and watch your spelling, young'n. Opera doesn't have an "h".

What? BLASPHEME! I didn't say Opera > FF. I have no clue which is better. Thanks for the spelling correction though; I must perfect this language.

Hmm, so far FF kicks ass. 10 days to see which one takes the cup, of booze.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FF is pure win. I have no complaints about it, thus no reason to switch to any other browser.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats my thoughts exactly. And yet, someone I know insists that this new browser is superb.

Apparently, it looks really cool.

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only problem I have with Firefox is that when you tell it to sort bookmarks by name it doesn't sort folders to the top.
And Opera's full screen (F11) is better.

I did originally use Opera as my main browser but it developed a bug where it wouldn't close the process when you closed the program, after a while of closing it it and opening it again later on you ended up with loads of opera.exe or whatever it's called processes running and lagging the hell out of your PC.
You had to kill it in the task manager every time you closed it which got old fast, so I switched the Firefox and haven't gone back.

Last edited by Daz on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use FireFox chiefly for extensions. I couldn't use anything else with ease.

SDKH
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fire Fox is completely superior. If Opera wins the poll, I'll eat my own T-shirt.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why don't you try it and see for yourself? They have their own individual merits, which may or may not be of interest to you.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Suiseiseki wrote:
I use FireFox chiefly for extensions.

Awesome. I use Opera, and don't NEED any of these extensions. It has all that stuff as standard features.

SDKH wrote:
Fire Fox is completely superior.

In which aspects, other than "I haven't tried the other one"? Rolling Eyes

Really, I've seen a lot of "FF PWNZ0RZ!!!" posts here, but without any single reason why that would be so.

Face it... pretty much all of FF's 'cool features' and even the ideas behind most of its addons are all copied from Opera. Starting with tabbed browsing and saving opened tabs on exit. Both standard features in Opera from day one.

It took me about 10 plugins to customize my Firefox to have the same functionality as my Opera, and up to this point I still haven't found any way to make the nav keys (arrows, PgUp, PgDn, Home, End) simply scroll through a page instead of moving a text cursor on the page that constantly gets stuck inside div and table elements.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Face it... pretty much all of FF's 'cool features' and even the ideas behind most of its addons are all copied from Opera. Starting with tabbed browsing and saving opened tabs on exit. Both standard features in Opera from day one.

Yeah, and that Firefox was free from the day it was published, whereas Opera remained chargeable until 2005.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Opera is best IMO. Smile

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firefox because its got everything I need and I dont like the way Opera looks.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Opera because they still have money to give it a supperior support and features. The next major release is going to be somewhat epic. Very Happy

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I prefer Firefox because of the extensions. Opera is faster and it has a lot of stuff that comes by default, but the extensions from Firefox are ownage. And I have to use a lot the IE tab because of the company I work for... also the download management from Firefox (with plugins) is better. I also enjoy the firefox webmaster tools plugin. Also... the Tab Mix Plus which is a must have plugin... and meh... Firefox beats Opera because of the plugins, really. But Opera is great and faster than Firefox.

Crash
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firefox ftw.

It's stable (more or less), fast, much more secure than IE, and most importantly is free.

Add to that customizable extensions and add-ons is kickass.

John Galt
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jesus snotshitting Christ, when will you knobheads stop posting that Firefox Myths shit? It was debunked years ago, go die in a fire if you still believe it.

On topic, I use firefox 3.1b2 right now. Most useful extensions for me are NoScript, Firebug, Greasemonkey, Stylish, ScreenGrab. If you like something else, fine, have fun using it, I don't care, I won't tell you my way is better, but if you start arguing that yours is, I won't care either.

Daz
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team SomeGuy wrote:
and most importantly is free.

Are there actually any pay-for browsers?
It doesn't seem a very sensible thing to do considering the big three are free.

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whats the difference between them?

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Opera simply doesn't matter anymore for desktop users. It's share is really tiny compared to FF and IE. Even Chrome and Safari have larger market shares than Opera!

Where Opera really shines, though, is on mobile devices. I have Opera for my phone, and it's great, very easy to use, and fairly fast.
On the desktop, though, Opera is slow, bloated, and has poor support for CSS standards. Not as bad as Chrome, of course, but still not as good as Minefield or Webkit (Comparing Opera beta).
As for those claims that Firefox steals features from Opera, do some research first!

Tabbed browsing: First use in a web browser was in 1994, the InternetWorks browser by BookLink Technologies. Even after that, tabbed browsing was used with an IE shell, NetCaptor (in 1997) and others before Opera and Mozilla in 2000 and 2001 respectively. Oh, and that was version 4 of Opera; it didn't have tabbed browsing in the beginning!

Anyways, the point of Firefox isn't to have the most features, like Opera, but to have the most powerful base on which to add whatever features/extensions the user wants. I've always had that problem with Opera; it's the most bloated web browser available, full of features I would never use that just take up screen space, memory, and processing time.

In short, I prefer Firefox to Opera, but my favourite browser is Webkit.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

John Galt wrote:
Jesus snotshitting Christ,...

Thats a good one, I'll have to remember it.

Alright thanks for the replies. Special thanks goes out to DR2K, he summed them up nicely. BTW, any stand out features for Webkit? Never heard of that one before.

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Webkit is the engine behind Chrome and Safari.
It offers by far the best CSS support, and it's one of if not the faster browser available.
The downsides are that it runs through Safari (So oyu have to put up with that interface), and that it's always in development, so it may not be stable (But I've never had a problem with that).

You can get Webkit here:
http://webkit.org/

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thanks for the link.

SDKH
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
In which aspects, other than "I haven't tried the other one"?

I Have in fact tried Opera and though it may have been compatibility issues with my computer at the time, I found endless bugs and constant crashing on most pages. Firefox however has been completely reliable the whole time I have used it. So yea, in my opinion Firefox is superior.

DoMiNaNt_HuNtEr
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think FF is more widely known than Opera, thats for sure.

I think we can all agree that Internet Explorer definitely needs to be improved.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IE is fine by me. Tabs made it cool.

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Opera is slow, bloated

Quote:
Opera and though it may have been compatibility issues with my computer at the time, I found endless bugs and constant crashing on most pages.

This is one of the reasons why I used Firefox for awhile, Opera runned like crap on my computer, but then I got a new computer then I decided to try Opera again and it runned like a charm. Opera runns great on my laptop too.

I guess it was either a new version of Opera or my computer....

After a recent patch Opera has become a bit buggy again....

Team SomeGuy
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
IE is fine by me. Tabs made it cool.

THIS IS BLASPHEMY! THIS IS MADNESS! This! Is! Spartaaa!!!

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Firefox

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Suiseiseki
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nyerguds wrote:
Suiseiseki wrote:
I use FireFox chiefly for extensions.

Awesome. I use Opera, and don't NEED any of these extensions. It has all that stuff as standard features.

SDKH wrote:
Fire Fox is completely superior.

In which aspects, other than "I haven't tried the other one"? Rolling Eyes

Really, I've seen a lot of "FF PWNZ0RZ!!!" posts here, but without any single reason why that would be so.

It took me about 10 plugins to customize my Firefox to have the same functionality as my Opera, and up to this point I still haven't found any way to make the nav keys (arrows, PgUp, PgDn, Home, End) simply scroll through a page instead of moving a text cursor on the page tha constantly gets stuck inside div and table elements.

Cool story bro. You don't know what extensions I use and as such are talking out your arse.

partyzanPaulZy
Commander

Location: laptop? ... otherwise the Czech Republic -> south Moravia Posts: long int Posts;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know which browser is better, because I haven't tried Opera, I use Firefox. I don't use plug-ins currently, just browsing, opening x tabs, several windows, fullscreen is OK, I am used to use it, although I have heard Opera was better when FF was in v. 2.0 (it showed text better, CSS styles probably, I don't remember well this thing). If that memory thing is true then FF is better.

Don't blame the others if you haven't checked your own (in)ability in the first case.

MT
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

Reason unrequired, FF PWNZ0RZ!!!

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I say:

Fx PWNZ0RZ!!!
IE PWNZ0RZ!!!
Safari PWNZ0RZ!!!!
Chrome PWNZ0RZ!!!!!
Opera PWNZ0RZ!!!!!!!!!

All having their ups 'n downs Very Happy

Sir Modsalot
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
I prefer Firefox because of the extensions. Opera is faster and it has a lot of stuff that comes by default, but the extensions from Firefox are ownage. And I have to use a lot the IE tab because of the company I work for... also the download management from Firefox (with plugins) is better. I also enjoy the firefox webmaster tools plugin. Also... the Tab Mix Plus which is a must have plugin... and meh... Firefox beats Opera because of the plugins, really. But Opera is great and faster than Firefox.

Basically exactly how I've thought about this. Chrome is fine, too, especially since Google shocked me by pulling it out of beta, but it won't be on the same level as Firefox or Opera for a while.

[quote="DCoder"]There is no sanity left in this thread.[/quote]

Beowulf
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrome is a lie. It's a Firefox shill with a different HTML rendering engine. ztype Chrome.

Also, I'm too cool for the rest of you. INTERNET EXPLORER! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Version... SIX.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

firefox has a 4chan add-on.

/thread.

Wess
TS Mapping GOD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using FireFox, because it has everything I need. Why should I switch to something else?

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well,I had to appear.

The best option is....Chrome.

Didn't had too many problems.So,I don't see why I wouldn't use it.

Plus,what's with all this "There's a BIG difference between browsers" thing?

A different browser doesn't accelerate your internet.And I personally don't see any big difference between browsers.

partyzanPaulZy
Commander

Location: laptop? ... otherwise the Czech Republic -> south Moravia Posts: long int Posts;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are some differences in html, css, javascript, etc. code reading, for example.

Don't blame the others if you haven't checked your own (in)ability in the first case.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find FF to unreliable.

And too well known, therfore unprotected.

Also, noscript-like options are included with Opera.

Beowulf
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just about every browser can disable JavaScript but that sucks and is retarded. NoScript is at least selective about it... and I can get ABP and Flashblock. SUPER PWN. #Tongue

Firefox is good but I use it and IE7 fairly equally now.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DeathRay2K wrote:
In short, I prefer Firefox to Opera, but my favourite browser is Webkit.

Honestly, I hate webkit. It's the only engine that screws up PPM website. It runs perfectly on all other browsers. So, I really don't trust its CSS support. That's the only reason I do not like Google Chrome.

Beowulf
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not its bad CSS support. It's just sloppy web code. ZING. #Tongue

DeathRay2K
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Honestly, I hate webkit. It's the only engine that screws up PPM website. It runs perfectly on all other browsers. So, I really don't trust its CSS support. That's the only reason I do not like Google Chrome.

Webkit has by far the most complete CSS support.
But because it's developed as a modern browser, it doesn't support some of the more hacky things in PPM's layout, as they're trying to encourage standards-compliant code.
Seriously, I just looked at the HTML and you do some really weird stuff in there... Each link in a separate paragraph, weird table structures, blank image space-holders?! Madness!

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The blank images are requirements from few toplists and the tracker. The tracker code is too weird, but if I modify it, it screws up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [49 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon