Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:34 am
All times are UTC + 0
Voxel III 1.38 under Wine?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject:  Voxel III 1.38 under Wine? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EDIT: I decided not to post this in VXL III's help section, because I don't know whether it's a problem with VXL III or Wine:
here Goes:
I'm guessing that this is a well known (or atleast known) problem, but a search of the fora yielded no help.
Here's the problem: Having two OS I am forced to switch between Linux and Windows for their various functionalities. I decided to install VXL III on Fedora 10 under Wine so that I could voxel to concepts and google images, and make it easier to discuss the voxel on MSN or such.
Well, it was a nice idea, flawed in it's realization.
Yes, the voxel editor works, but without a working 3D view. Without the 3D view I find it quite difficult to use (Or, in fact, 'useless').

Any idea how I can fix it?

I do rather like Wine, just last week I got to play TS on it - making my need of Windows almost obsolete. (other than, of course, voxelling...)

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could try a virtual machine, VMWare Workstation 6.5 is actually quite good for running some 3D applications.

As for the problem itself, if the view is rendered using D3D in some form then possibly using the native D3D dlls could work. It's solved issues I've had with a few games. Do you get any serious errors popping up in the terminal if you run it from there?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it runs fine for the most part, I can paint, fill, normal, all but the 3D view.

Thanks, Clazzy. I'm looking into this 'VMWare' thing.
However, I have no knowledge of the dlls - I'm just a humble voxeller.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

make sure 3d view is enabled.
I once spent 4 hours trying to figure out why it didn't work, and it turned out I had accidentally disabled it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha! First thing I did.! Very Happy But it's pretty obviously broken - it looks like very colourful static. Hang on - PrntScrn...
You'll notice that I have full functionality to all of the options, other than 3D view.
But really, this topic has explained everything to me, and I can now attempt a few other possibilities.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a friend that reports the same problem. I hope I can fix it once the new renderer is done.

Clazzy wrote:
As for the problem itself, if the view is rendered using D3D in some form then possibly using the native D3D dlls could work. It's solved issues I've had with a few games. Do you get any serious errors popping up in the terminal if you run it from there?

VXLSE III 1.38 uses OpenGL. And according to the screen, it seems that the WINE emulated OpenGL is picking the wrong amount of bits per pixel and, as a consequence, the wrong red, green and blue colours.

VXLSE III requires a 32 bits colour depth to work correctly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum