Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:03 pm
All times are UTC + 0
How to unprotect a protected MIX file
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3 [150 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject:  How to unprotect a protected MIX file
Subject description: requires: a hex editor and a brain
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some background:

TS/RA2 Mix files consist of a header, an index, and a body. The header includes basic information about the MIX (does it have a checksum, is it encrypted, how many files are in it, how big is it). The index includes the size, location, and checksum of each file in the mix, and the body contains the actual files.

There are two main "MIX protector" or "Leechkiller" programs out there that will mangle the header (specifically, the internal file size) in such a way that RA2 reads the mix properly but XCC Mixer will refuse to open it. They both operate under essentially the same principle.

First, it is necessary to understand how the headers are laid out. The first four bytes are the encryption and checksum flags. If the MIX is has encrypted headders (not to be confused with "protected": "encrypted" refers to the Blowfish encryption that Westwood used on its own mixes; XCC breaks this just fine) the flags are 00 02 00 00. If the MIX has a checksum, the flags are 00 01 00 00. Neither of the current MIX Protector programs work on files with encrypted headers, (although they could be modified to do so with some effort), so I won't go into that right now.

On unencrypted MIXes (i.e. all the ones you will need to break), after the flags comes the "header". The header consists of a 16-bit integer that equals the number of files in the MIX, and a 32-bit integer that equals the size of the body of the MIX (the size of the MIX file minus the size of the header and index). These numbers are "big-endian", which means the bytes are arranged backwards (but the bits within each byte are arranged normally). (This is because the Intel x86 architecture is semi-retarded). So if bytes 04 and 05  (the number of files) are 0xB801, you need to rearrange this to 0x01B8 to get the actual number of files. (0x01B8 in decimal is 440, you can use Google Calculator to convert if necessary.)

sidenote: this means that MIX files larger than two gigabytes or containing more than 32,765 files are impossible under the RA2 engine.

So, here's the big picture so far: The first few bytes of the MIX are

byte 00: always 00
byte 01: is 01 if checksummed, 02 if encrypted, 00 otherwise. Should always be 00 on protected mixes.
byte 02: always 00 (VK's Mix Protector will overwrite this with garbage)
byte 03: always 00 (VK's Mix Protector will overwrite this with garbage)
byte 04-05: big-endian number containing the number of files.
byte 06-09: big-endian number containing MIX body size. (LeechKiller and VK's Mix Protector will  both overwrite bytes 06 and 07 with garbage).

Then you have the index (12 bytes per index entry) and then the body.

All the "MIX protectors" do is add some number to the body size. XCC Mixer checks the body size first when reading a MIX, and rejects the MIX if the body size in the header is larger than the actual body size. (If I had the XCC source code, I could fix this easily, but I can't seem to find it on the XCC website, despite it being hosted on sourceforge. Strange.) It does this to avoid accessing unallocated memory and crashing with a segmentation fault.

Red Alert 2, on the other hand, apparently just ignores the body size in the header, and operates entirely on the information in the index. In theory, anyway. I suppose it's possible that "protected" mixes could cause RA2 to access memory out of bounds and crash, but I haven't seen it happen yet.

Anyway, VK's Mix Protector apparently just adds 2 to byte 06, causing XCCU to fail but making it easy to repair the MIX file. The XRML LeechKiller will add a random 16-bit value to bytes 06-07, instead, making it more difficult. To repair a "protected" MIX, you need to recalculate the body size and write it into bytes 06-09 with a hex editor.

To calculate the body size, take the actual file size by right-clicking on the file and clicking Properties.  Windows should give you Size: n MB (x bytes). (Ignore "Size on Disk"). Take the number of bytes and apply the following formula:

BodySize = FileSize - ( (NumberOfFilesInMix * 12) + 10)

You see, the index has twelve bytes for each file, the header has four bytes for flags, two bytes for the number of files, and four bytes for the body size.

Don't forget, the body size and the number of files are all in big-endian form, and must be inserted as such.

Short form tutorial:

1) Grab your favorite hex editor and open the protected mix.
2) Ensure that the first four bytes (bytes 00 - 03) are 0x00000000.
3) Read the next two bytes (bytes 04-05) and reverse the order (e.g. b8 01 becomes 01 b8). This is the number of files. Convert it from hex to decimal.
4) Multiply the number of files by 12. Then add 10. We'll call this number H.
5) Take the file size. We'll call this number F.
6) F - H = B.
7) Convert B to hex. Pad the front with zeroes until it is eight hex digits long. Rearrange the bytes in big-endian order (e.g. 00 94 26 7F becomes 7F 26 94 00)
8) Overwrite the next four bytes (bytes 06-09) with this corrected value.
9) Save the MIX file and exit your hex editor.

Note: this will not recover the filenames of each file in the MIX. Those are gone forever.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Modding #TiberianSun #Firestorm #RedAlert2 #YurisRevenge #OpenRA #XCCUtilities #MIX 

Vefbl4
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice.

Lol,now there is no point protecting them.

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really, this shit wasn't particularly hard to figure out. It took me maybe a half-hour with a hex editor, the MIX documentation on the XCC website, and the two protection utilities, and then another fifteen or twenty minutes to type all that up. The biggest thing that stumped me was that I forgot about big-endianness.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There goes asset safety... I'm gonna pester a coder to ztype up something ese YR can handle but RA2 doesn't. It's like the saying that nothing is idiot-proof, they'll always build a better idiot.

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Screw asset safety. Modding used to be fun.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lol, this is ppm. It makes a hobby something serious and annoying #Tongue

We need damned releases from teams... Inactivity is boring. Noow I must go, to the modwagon!

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kind of agree with this gentleman.

Most of the big mods horde all of the artists and the people who can't make SHPs or voxels to compete with the big mods really get fucked over. Especially when those mods sit in development hell and have greedy leaders who won't share assets, or even code.

The worst is when they criticize smaller mods and suggest that the smaller mods get building makers or new infantry. How? All of these huge mods have a ztyping monopoly on every new talent that comes into the community. Its really bullshit.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Honest attitude, frankness, inconvvenient truth? Who could this be I wonder and could it be possible they need an un-ban?

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bah, I need EVA251 to fix the damn Invader barracks in SS firstly.

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hell, I'm not even talking about that.

Here's some background: I started modding RA2 around the time YR came out. I didn't post around here (this site was mostly TS-focused at the time) and I didn't post under the name "aristurtle" (I was young, and my choice of usernames was stupid). I mostly posted around Sleipnirstuff (now largely inactive) and Deezire (now largely inactive), as well as a little at Cannis (now firmly dead), Revolution and Origin (now Revora).

I was a code guy; I couldn't make art worth a damn. And I never really cared about releasing anything; the whole point was to play around with ideas and code. So I used public assets, and not-so-public ones, since my mod was private anyway. Only I and a few non-modding friends ever saw it. It was fun.

I moved on from YR shortly after Generals came out, and moved on from modding when I went to college and got a girlfriend. Then, a couple months ago, I got a new laptop, an Eee 901, and YR was one of the few games that ran on it. I decided to start modding again, because vanilla YR never satisfied me, and went back to the community to see what kind of shape it was in, figuring that it would be pretty slow since YR is now very old.

Well, some of what I saw was impressive (Rockpatch/Npatch most specifically), and the Cannis/Revora stupidityfest was over by default, but there was still more Cartmanland-style bullshit than ever with this "MIX protection" nonsense.

Tell me, again, why adding a unit to Red Alert 2 or to Yuri's Revenge is encouraged, but adding one to, say, CannisRules is somehow verboten? The idea that someone who is modding someone else's work should try and forbid anyone from modding their work makes me sick to my stomach. What the hell is wrong with you people? If Westwood decided to add (say) hash checks on the Mix files, or compile the INIs (as they did for C&C3/RA3), you wouldn't have been able to mod anything in the first place, but you think it's a good idea to do the nearest equivalent on your own work?

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And here's an inconvenient truth to anyone who wants to make a more effective "protector": You can only mangle a MIX so far. YR still needs to be able to read it. Eventually, I can unmangle any mix that YR can read. And if it becomes too complicated for a tutorial, I'll write a program to do it, and the two requirements right now that'll keep the talentless rip kiddies out (a hex editor and a brain) won't be there any more.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, saving this tutorial and backing it up in the odd event that Aristurtle is banned (God knows that happens often.).

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've posted it at Modenc as well.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

He won't be banned because of this tutorial. In fact, it is helping me to kill some doubts that I have about mix files.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
In fact, it is helping me to kill some doubts that I have about mix files.
What? Banshee cracking mixes? lol!

Either that or he's working on something big...

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and the main reason why I did this was that PixelOps went down and I wanted some of the resources from it, so I cracked CannisRules's MIXes instead to get them. I would have done it eventually regardless, though: RA2DIY has some nice assets but they sometimes use VK's utility.

I wish there was some way to recover file names, though; pairing VXLs with HVAs will be a pain in the ass without them. The only method I can think of is trying to find hash collisions based on guesses about the file name (e.g. files that look like .shp files will end in .shp, etc.), but even though it's just a CRC hash that would still be a real pain in the ass to do.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only issues with hvas is when its animated.

Your taking this arguement that all information should be free which is fair enough.

However if I see my mod effort and time being wasted on some shitty 1000+ unit mod with godzillion new factions, I'm gonna not bother to mod.

A lot of those so called quiet modders have been modding for years straight on there own projects like D-Day, Robot Storm.

This just gives us another reason to not release our modifications you know.

Also its nothing new you know, you've just made it easier for rippers who can't be arsed to use google.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If someone publically releases ripped stuff, they get blacklisted, as always.

If you seriously don't want to release a mod because someone might privately use some assets from it, or learn from your code, well, hey, I don't think we're missing out on much. How much of the assets and code in your mod were based on Westwood's work?

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blacklisted counts for jack all, I mean they simply host it in there own foreign country like iloo did. Its just more hassle.

I mean you think you've done something enlightening?

You've just made it easier for people to get blacklisted and discouraged a lot of other modders.

It obvious people will use this to rip for public mods.

If people really want to rip my stuff for so called "private use" then let them find out there own way.

Also before you say our coding is trivial I would like to see you make a aimd.ini 5 times large or to correctly art code a building.

Last edited by Allied General on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

anyone who has no problem modifying Westwood's work but hates the idea of anyone modifying their work is useless to me, and I won't miss them.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah well when there no new work to be released I think you will and I mean like proper mods e.g. TC's, big mods.

M4AEstro
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[quote="Lt Albrecht"]
There goes asset safety[/quote]

Wrong, there are other ways of encrypting a mix file.

@aristurtle: Good work, nice tutorial.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You yourself just said blacklisting means nothing, then use the 'ease of blacklisting' argument against him.

This is discouraging? What about the public modder who has a brilliant idea but can't get any artists? He can code, but he can't get a single ztyping artist because every Tiberian Sun remake or unoriginal mod is hording all of the 3D modelers? I find that quite discouraging. Original ideas get killed because there are no artists to bring these ideas to life, instead they're remaking GDI and Nod vehicles in SUPER HIGH DEF THREE DEE only to port them back to ztyping voxel again.

And you dare say that this is going to damage the modding community? A community built on hoarding and 'LOOK WHAT I GOT?!'. It'll be the greedy mods who kill this community with their huge staff portfolios who kill the community before some asshole with a mix cracker ruins the community.

Last edited by Volgin on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello? This is 2009, not 2001. YR modding has been slow as shit for years. There are no more new people picking up YR and releasing the first thing that comes to mind. Most people have moved on, the old guard is all that's left. So what's the difference?

Besides, the idea that "I won't release anything if anyone else can look at it" is just more Cartmanland bullshit to me.

Allied General
General

well kinda pointless if his intention is to make a exe to decrpyt them all.

also your statement is bs

its people sheer laziness and lack of proper completion.

Last edited by Allied General on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:

So use the free assets people make, there's hundreds of em. You see- if someone ripped Robot Storm now, and released some "2.5 version" he made, what happens to us? They'll "credit" us but now we have some other guy who made this "patch" taking our mod that we worked for years on? That's not fair is it?

Last edited by Elerium-155 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

M4AEstro wrote:
Lt Albrecht wrote:

There goes asset safety

Wrong, there are other ways of encrypting a mix file.

@aristurtle: Good work, nice tutorial.

Like I said, you can only mangle it so far as YR can still read it. The next logical step is to use an encrypted header, but this just means you need to 1) decrypt the header 2) change the flags 3) remove the blowfish key and 4) fix the bodysize. Too complicated for a tutorial, so I'd write a program.

But I'd only make a program to do it if someone else escalated it first.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

also you don't get the modders arguement

it's the effort and time spent that matters in the end indeed :/

sorry if you lack the ability to learn stuff.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is just disrespectful. Is it so hard to respect someones privacy? Do you think you have the right to view anyone elses property whenever you want, let alone use it yourself? Your just pissing all over peoples hard work.

By doing this your bypassing any work necessary and going straight for the end result, meaning your mods will have no personality, no consistant level of quality and you wont be able to pull it off yourself as you'll have learnt shit all. The funniest thing is, now youve posted this, all the other little faggots dont need to ANY work to even steal now! They dont even need to learn how to do it!

Anyway im just off to make Robot Storm meats AGSA + Turkey mod 5.6, see ya.

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Elerium-155 wrote:
Quote:

So use the free assets people make, there's hundreds of em. You see- if someone ripped Robot Storm now, and released some "2.5 version" he made, what happens to us? They'll "credit" us but now we have some other guy who made this "patch" taking our mod that we worked for years on? That's not fair is it?

You post on the Robot Storm forms that "Robot Storm Extended Booyah Edition" is an unauthorized, unofficial version. You continue updating your own mod. Booyah Edition is forgotten, because it was shit anyway, and now it's out of date, without the changes you've put into the mainline. Marketplace of ideas, etc. etc.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So for your time and effort its perfectly OK to horde assets and to never release your project, or to give nothing to the community?

This is a _community_. It works on the basis of people helping, not an elite of modders kidnapping all new 3D modelers and voxelers for their mods. (Oh wait, thats what it is now!)

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
This is just disrespectful. Is it so hard to respect someones privacy? Do you think you have the right to view anyone elses property whenever you want, let alone use it yourself? Your just pissing all over peoples hard work.

Hey, I don't recall you being so broken up when you circumvented Westwood's blowfish encryption and obfuscated file system to view and use their property without their permission. Westwood's mixes were protected far better than these are, but they're fair game, right?

Anyway, I'm out; I've got classes to go to.

Last edited by aristurtle on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This community does jack all lol. You are just retards in regards to coding or any supposed talent.

I seen two many examples of noobs, instead of newbees willing to learn.

Most of you beg but never give back.

But yeah I guess your arguement is, no one should ever mod.

Also in the commerical world, its possible to have a open source product but to keep some new module of code or whatever "in-house"

Last edited by Allied General on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol. With that kind of attitude its a wonder there is still a ztyping community. They really have no choice but to beg while the elites up there horde everything. And then they release assets and people come along and say 'oh lol that lookz like shit'

aristurtle
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I'm giving back. I posted a tutorial, didn't I?

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This community provides nothing of intellectual worth. Only individual members make it stand out.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Volgin wrote:
So for your time and effort its perfectly OK to horde assets and to never release your project, or to give nothing to the community?
"Horde assets"? WE made them, WE have the rights to use 'em. Can I have your house for the next 60 years? Don't worry, ill give you it back when I die. Smile

Volgin wrote:
This is a _community_.
And community also means mutual respect; ie, if someone doesnt want you to have something you dont have the right to own it.

Volgin wrote:
It works on the basis of people helping

HELPING, not giving somone a prebuilt mod. If you are getting an IE, we'll help. If you want to know how to render a 3D model, we'll help. If you have contacts by being a nice guy and doing the right thing you can get your own assets. Dont be a cockface and think because he's your neighbour that makes his things equally yours.

Volgin wrote:
not an elite of modders kidnapping all new 3D modelers and voxelers for their mods.
KIDNAPPING? People can't get kidnapped over the internet. If someone wants to lend their 3d skills to a mod because the mod looks interesting, unlike most shitful mods that use ripped assets and have no ambition, its up to them. FREE WILL jerkoff.

Why dont games companies reuse each others assets? That'd be ztyping awesome seeing the same thing in every unrelated game.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That attitude kills the community. YOU are the cancer to the community, AG. Veteran or not, endorsing this whole system of hoarding and internet blowjobs is just despicable.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh, Westwood reused assets a few times. #Tongue also, if this doubleposts, LULZ.

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol this thread.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Volgin wrote:
Ahh, Westwood reused assets a few times. #Tongue also, if this doubleposts, LULZ.
Huk huk, arnt you smart. They reused them themselves, they didnt give them to Eastwood to make a fairy-planet spinoff game.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

aristurtle wrote:
Elerium-155 wrote:
Quote:

You post on the Robot Storm forms that "Robot Storm Extended Booyah Edition" is an unauthorized, unofficial version. You continue updating your own mod. Booyah Edition is forgotten, because it was shit anyway, and now it's out of date, without the changes you've put into the mainline. Marketplace of ideas, etc. etc.

Get this, Internet is LAAARGE... not everyone goes to that particular mod's website/forums to read such statements and in this case...that ILOO ztype had been spreading that mod in turkey website for ages until came to msg on english forums so of course turkish ppl etc think lesser of the mod when they may have played HIS shit version FIRST so mod impression is ruined and no, fixing reputation is not exactly simple.

and now, you have opened the floodgates to let it happen with my latest version when i release it and I was hoping to to do different so i think public release is nothing but feeding ppl that can't do own work from scratch or heck, wont even TRY as its easier to just STEAL.

wonderful...

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You kill off creativity and the willingness to anything for themselves.

In the past people use to learn from other peoples ideas and make better things.

They didn't just steal something and add some paint on top.

Elerium-155
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Allied General wrote:
You kill off creativity and the willingness to anything for themselves.

In the past people use to learn from other peoples ideas and make better things.

They didn't just steal something and add some paint on top.

This.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because hording assets is _so_ much more respectable and honorable.

Judeau
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aristurtle's argument is valid, making a mod, and then not allowing anyone to mod that mod is hypocrisy at best.

However, the one that mods it, should :
1. Put in a readme with credits
2. Make it absolutely obvious that his stuff is not "endorsed" by the original mod makers

Allied General
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So Judeau I can rip your mod and just say its not endorsed by you even if say I just say change titan strength to 20000?

cheers

Apex
General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not hording if you ztyping made them you idiot. Hording would be along the lines of finding 100 public assets and saying "DIBS CANT DOWNLOAD ALL MINE!" and using underscores _so_ makes your statements more meaningful(that's sarcasm if you didn't notice). It is up to the author to what they want to do with them. You wouldn't even know about them if they never released them.

Try this, tell any game company that you found a way to take anything out of their games and use it for yourself. Then you make a new game using their game engine, models, textures, ect and see exactly how far down the shithole that gets you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 3 [150 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon