Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Dune 2000
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject:  Dune 2000
Subject description: C&C 2000 ?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmflM70vtZI

Has anyone here played this game ?

I have just seen a vid of it for the first time and im amazed how similar it is to C&C

Its amazing, anyone making TS mods could probably get some good ideas from this game and also gfx & sfx

look at the 6:05 in the vid, im damn sure they are TD/RA1 infantry but higher quality

The sabatouer could fit nicely for a Nod/Black Hand elite infantry in a TS mod nd the sfx are great

Bako'Ikaporamee
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is C&C in SPAAAAACE. Pretty fun too. Also the infantry graphics are superior to RA1's however they're still the same size and won't be the right size for Tiberian Sun.

Oh, fuggerbuggerrit!

Tore
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got Dune 2000. Very Happy It's fun, but Dune 2 is better #Tongue

blubb
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh yeah i played this one a long time but it got really repetative somehow....i felt it was a filler for the TS waiting time

Hydraw Art on Facebook

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A good game... but due to only 9 missions per house it get hard VERY quickly. I rather prefer Emperor. But I like Dune 2000 anyway.

Pepzi
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dune 2000 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmflM70vtZI

Has anyone here played this game ?

I have just seen a vid of it for the first time and im amazed how similar it is to C&C

Its amazing, anyone making TS mods could probably get some good ideas from this game and also gfx & sfx

look at the 6:05 in the vid, im damn sure they are TD/RA1 infantry but higher quality

The sabatouer could fit nicely for a Nod/Black Hand elite infantry in a TS mod nd the sfx are great

I want to point out that the Starport is exactly the same in function as the Dropship bay was to be in TS.

Edit: Further, someone should help Hyper do what DCoder is going with YR. Would be nice to see results.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh yes Dune 2000. Didn't play it as much as TS but still a great game none the less. I recall seeing the Harkonen devastator sprite in an old RA mod.

Ordos FTW:P

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ordos never had anything fun with them until the end game. Soldiers and tanks cost too much, due to being merceneries.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Brings back a few memories. Ah Harkonnen, you've got to fear them Twisted Evil

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pretty epic movies too.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the tanks where weaker but much faster, I enjoyed using Deviators and sabateurs though.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Ordos FMVs were/are cool, Edric O keeps getting cooler with each passing mission. #Tongue

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
The Ordos FMVs were/are cool, Edric O keeps getting cooler with each passing mission. #Tongue

Actually he seemed to get more emotional. Too much for a bio-engineered mentat (he dies at the end, though). Sad

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kinda wish EA would release a pack that contains all the dune games in it, like the first decade for Dune. Anyone know where I can get the games today?

Revolutionary
Commander

Location: Scotland, starting a Revolution Cameo: metricon. Posts:???

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Amazon But DONT TRUST THEM
I bought Emperor: battle for dune, all the disks were thare but there was no manual and more importantly no key code Crying or Very sad

i agree with dafool that there should be a dune box set with Dune 2000 and E:BFD but i think dune 2 (the DOS version) should be Freeware (it would be silly to sell such an old game in a box set with the other 2 when unless you run DOS, 95 or have DOSBox you cant run)

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

someone should try to remake the game in like game maker or something, and release it like that. I did get Dune of off some site, but like it was pretty sad playing it, how pimitive it is. But I would beat a level, and it would ask me a like question, to which I probably got the answer wrong, because it shut the game down afterwards.

A combo is much needed, and perhaps a new dune game to be relaesed by EA

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
someone should try to remake the game in like game maker or something, and release it like that. I did get Dune of off some site, but like it was pretty sad playing it, how pimitive it is. But I would beat a level, and it would ask me a like question, to which I probably got the answer wrong, because it shut the game down afterwards.

A combo is much needed, and perhaps a new dune game to be relaesed by EA

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/36/Dune+2+-+The+Building+of+a+Dynasty.html

Download the manual to check the answers for the questions.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Revolutionary wrote:
Amazon But DONT TRUST THEM
I bought Emperor: battle for dune, all the disks were thare but there was no manual and more importantly no key code Crying or Very sad
Doubt you bought it from Amazon itself then... you'll have bought it from just a seller on the site...

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:

I did get Dune of off some site, but like it was pretty sad playing it, how pimitive it is.

Primitive?! You call Dune II primitive? Surprised It's not much less sophisticated than Command & Conquer in the key gameplay aspects.

DaFool wrote:
someone should try to remake the game in like game maker or something, and release it like that.

Here are a couple Dune II remakes:
Dune II The Maker by Stefan Hendriks (an older version can be found here).
Dune Legacy and its recreation, Dune Lunacy.
Dune IV by amonit.
Dune II The Sleeper Has Awakened by Drackbolt.
Most of them are not 100% accurate recreations of the original game though.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By primitive I mean it lacks many of the functions I am used to as an RTS gamer of 2009, from commanding a unit entirely with the mouse, to control groups, qeueing units, etc etc. Nothing against the game, it's just old.

I would love a remake by EA though, as in Doom3 kinda or remake.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a go at one of the remakes, must say Im supprised I never played then when I was growing up.

Then that sparked my interest so I looked on youtube for the first dune. Now that was a game ahead of its time.

Both are indeed archaically primative by todays standards but don't forget, if we loose sight of what made games good to play back then during times of limited graphical capabilities we will then just be fueling the ZOMG GIVES ME MOAR GRAPHICS trend.

Games that focus on graphics alone and don't develope gameplay just suck as people loose interest fairly quickly, *cough EA cough*. EA makes fantastic game worlds but atrocious games. On that note, no I would not like to see an EA remake:P

Play the old game, learn what made it good then if your in a position to design games and mods use what you have learned to make them better. Also old games can still be quite entertaining, Syndicate anyone?

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, I would argue what made them good was thier innovation, but fast forward over a decade and the things that made them original are far gone. Now, I would like to play the game, but having to click a button and click for select, another button and 'm' for move, and finally 'a' and click for attack, becomes really tedious. So you go from playing even TD with only using the mouse to having to leanr a whole bunch of buttons.

It's not the graphics that annoy me, it's all the buttons and interface shortcomings compared to later games.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree about the button thing, like to move and attack, that was indeed a terrible feature:P

I won't be able to effectively reflect further until I have some firm concepts in and effectively studied in depth game design, Thats an actual course at my uni for next semester. I have a rough idea how to explain it now but it can wait:P

Something along the lines of the differentiation of originality in games compared to gameplay compared within the different years of gaming.

Godofgamers
Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember that game, it was good. I can't find the disc any more though.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good game even it doesn't present anything new. i ever played it long time ago too bad look like i will not touch it forever because my PC too fast to play it already. even set speed to slowest i stiil dont even move my MCV before the enemy mass me with 10+ tank . = ="

MrFlibble
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaFool wrote:
Now, I would like to play the game, but having to click a button and click for select, another button and 'm' for move, and finally 'a' and click for attack, becomes really tedious. So you go from playing even TD with only using the mouse to having to leanr a whole bunch of buttons.

I 've first played Dune II after having got used to more modern RTS games (Warcraft 1, 2, Starcraft, C&C), but I got comfortable with keyboard shortcuts and lack of multiple-unit selection pretty quickly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum