Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:01 am
All times are UTC + 0
New Rendering Engine - Kirov up to 3699 FPS, you doubt?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:25 am    Post subject:  New Rendering Engine - Kirov up to 3699 FPS, you doubt?
Subject description: Have you followed VXLSE III's SVN recently?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

I've been recoding VXLSE III for a while, to organize the code, make it easier to add new features, create OSGIC and, specially, to use it for my final project from the university.

The main part of this recoding procedure is the new rendering engine. It shouldn't simply make the creation of new previews (such as one for HVA editing in a later time) much simpler, but it's also able to store all voxels as 3D models (which is why it is now showing the polygon count instead of voxel count, although I'll make it count voxels again) to export them as .obj, .3ds and any other file format.

At the moment, it renders voxels at the same stupid way it always did: each voxel is a cube (although the algorithm behind it has been 100% changed). It is rendering voxels in an absurdly fast speed and... rebuilding voxels much faster as well. You should notice no lag if you make a change in the voxel section.

There are several things that were not tested yet, but this version should be somewhat stable. To test it in your machine, make sure you have an installation of VXLSE III 1.38 or better and replace your vxlse_iii.exe with this one. Full guide is located at PPM FAQ.

WARNING: DO NOT USE THIS REVISION IF YOUR VIDEO CARD IS HAVING HEATING/TEMPERATURE PROBLEMS

Here's the performance in my desktop (Phenom x4 2.4ghz, 8gb RAM, GeForce 7800 GTX, Windows XP), at the attachment below.

NewVXLSERenderEngine.png
 Description:
1840 FPS in the 3D Preview Window + 1859 FPS in the preview = 3699 FPS
 Filesize:  43.7 KB
 Viewed:  13660 Time(s)

NewVXLSERenderEngine.png

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that Kirov has pink eye

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, because of the palette that Roach added #Tongue.

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is impressive stuff you will surely get a 1st for OSGIC

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, it sure does its job fast.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

There were several updates in the last two days. The current version in the SVN is stable and won't fry anyone's video card, so it is safe to use and recommended. I've wiped almost every bug I could and made an FPS cap system, so you can render multiples windows at approximately 70 FPS or the speed that you choose (you can still fry with your video card, if you want, by going to Options -> Preferences -> 3D Options and disable the FPS cap, although my video card never fried, just had a similar reaction to OS:VV with a little noise).

I hope you guys get testing and provide feedback whenever possible. The only bug so far is that transparency is not working (once it works, you'll see several sections transparents in the 3D preview window, if you set to see the 'Whole Voxel').

This revision is more stable than VXLSE III 1.38 itself and any previous revision of 1.4x. To use it, make sure you have an installation of VXLSE III 1.38 or better and replace your vxlse_iii.exe with this one. Full guide is located at PPM FAQ.

zep_008.gif
 Description:
360 animation of Kirov airship generated by VXLSE III revision 113
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  13562 Time(s)

zep_008.gif

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mammoth Mark II under water? No, this is the transparency feature, exclusive of the new rendering engine, that spotlights the selected section (in this case, the body).

hmec_000.gif
 Description:
Mammoth Mark II with all non-selected sections with transparency.
 Filesize:  503.12 KB
 Viewed:  13539 Time(s)

hmec_000.gif

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, you are teh best! Very Happy

Roaches, I think you should make a version of this with the keyboard shortcuts now.... Razz

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Errrr.. that version has the keyboard shortcuts that Roaches added a while ago.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so, tell me about exporting to a 3d object. How does it do it, a cube for each voxel? Or something more efficent?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It will have two modes:

1) 1 Voxel = 1 Cube. This one is already coded, although you cannot export it yet. This one builds quite fast and is useful for editing purposes only.

2) 1 Voxel starts as 1 or more triangles and then, it gets optimized to reduce the number of triangles. This is based in a new technique adapted from Marching Cubes that is being coded. This is for exporting purposes, perharps, making the models useful for newer 3D games.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't quite undertsand marching cubes from reading it's wiki, but perhaps you could code a variation of the cube, where if two voxels touch, they form a rectagonal prism, and perhaps this could be expanded out to larger rows, for however many voxels may be in a row. So rather than individual cubes, you could get long like...french fries.

But I'm sure it will be best to just use the voxel as a base and model a shell over it.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You don't need to understand what Marching Cubes is. Just look at the samples that can be generated with it and you'll see what kind of result I'm trying to reach with VXLSE III Wink.

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uh, I think theres an error. Everytime I try to start a fresh voxel, nothing comes up. Sad

It still works if you load an older one thought.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Meh... I've tested almost everything except starting a new voxel, saving the voxel and importing a new section.

Anyway, I've fixed it in revision 120. Redownload it and this problem should no longer happen.

Update: I've tested voxel saving and it doesn't have any problems at all. Import new sections should get some fixes related to the 3D Preview Window soon.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bansh this is hardcore, I'm really curious to see the vxl23ds will look like Very Happy

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
vxl23ds

That will make deploy frames so very much easier Very Happy

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think anything can top this Banshee. kick ass.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Smile

At the moment, I'm trying to fix the import section from voxel feature. HVA gets somewhat messed up when I do it. Also, the program delets the section, but I'm not sure if it does it well. The other features look fine.

Btw, if you view the section properties, you'll be able to edit the HVA, frame by frame. Also OS: HVA Builder is still a much better program to do it.

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FPS is a bad comparison between the new and the old since the old doesn't use Render To Texture. The new one will have to to achive that high a FPS. You should implement FBO's into VXLSE. FBO's(Frame Buffer Objects) are a better way to Render to textures. See This for more info on rendering to textures(Bottom post has my code on implementing FBO's).

Transparency feature looks cool.

@HVA: An idea would be to intergrate HVA Builder into VXLSE. Could hit a button and an OpenGL window would open where the main editing bit is.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Render to Texture doesn't do much of a difference when you rotate the camera. It actually slows it down #Tongue. At these conditions, VXLSE III still gets over 250fps with 2 kirovs rotating at once in my desktop, without FPS cap. In my laptop it gets much slower and barely reaches 60fps.

Of course, it speeds up a lot when the camera is stopped and unit is not modified, which is about 99% of the time.

Regarding FBOs, the idea is good, although I'm not very happy with its requirement (Open GL 2.0 using the extension). I'll probably implement it later.

And integration of HVA Builder is in the 1.4x roadmap.

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats why you would check to see if the user has the right extentions and if so use FBO's instead of just copying the screens buffer to a texture. FBO's are simple to implement.

P.S What do you get with 2 kirov's rotating around on the old rendering engine? Btw, if your rotating them around like i did on OS VV then the render to texture would improve rotating renders(Since on OS VV it wasn't re-rendering the scene every time, it was only re-rendering every so oftern). If you constantly rotate it manualy it should be slower.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you rotate the scene, the scene changes and the texture has to be recreated, just like in OS:VV, so the render to texture slows down the scene, since it changes angle of the camera on every single frame.

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On OS:VV (The version i gave you) it DIDN'T update it each time when you pressed the "Rotate" button. When you did it manualy using the mouse it updated it every frame(But thats a different matter).

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You are correct, Stu. Just check the code.

Anyway, guys, you can play with the latest version by replacing your vxlse_iii.exe in a previous installation of 1.38 with this one:
http://svn.ppmsite.com/filedetails.php?repname=OS%20Voxel%20Tools&path=%2Fvxlseiii14x%2Fvxlse_III.exe&rev=0&sc=1

The latest revision (130) is looking more stable than VXLSE III 1.38 itself. And it has the following features added recently:

- HVA transformation matrix for all frames and all sections can be edited at the Voxel Properties window.
- The main painting window works faster.
- Import section from other model and delete section seems to be working now.
- Several bugs fixed in the render

and a couple of other things. I'm hope you'll enjoy. If you find anything wrong with the program, report here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum