Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 pm
All times are UTC + 0
3D Preview of Voxels
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Do you want a seperate window for the 3D preview in VXLSE3?
Yes
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Maybe
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject:  3D Preview of Voxels Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My suggestion is to have the 3D preview window of your voxel in a seperate window. Heres why:

1. It's easier to view large voxels
2. No need to open up the hva editor to look at it (unless you edit the hva)
3. When making the voxel itself, it will be easier to gain an overall picture of what it looks like
4. Bigger is better!

And since I started this topic, there could also be shortcuts for switching from Cross section to Full to Emp. Depth view.

Please consider this suggestion Banshee (and/or anyone else involved in the dev. of VXLSE3) Smile

MT
General

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There already is one. It is "Ctrl F8" #Tongue

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, somebody PLEASE punch me in the face right now, Im an idiot for posting this! #Mad

But this brings up something else... the 3D preview is still slow when you put it as ctrl + f8, I thought that OSGIC or something was already applied, like the 3d preview you see in the small box! Surprised

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which version of VXLSE III are you using? 1.38 or 1.39.24?

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Im using 1.39.24

I should point out that if I extend the box by about 500x500 pixels, that is when it gets slow

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is your:
- processor
- RAM
- video card
- operational system?

And what is the voxel and face count of your voxel displayed in the 3D preview window?

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-pentium D @ 3.4 ghz
-2gb ram
-radeon 9200
-Xp Pro

About 16k voxels, 25k faces

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

radeon 9200 is problem Wink
I have a 9550 and it works ine ant higher res.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is lagging your system is definitely the video card, which is the piece of hardware that the renderer most relies on. As far as I could see, it is somewhat in a similar level than a GeForce FX5200 or worse.

My laptop's GeForce 6150 slows down when I make the Kirov rotate here, specially with 2 Kirovs, which has slightly more faces than what you lagged your program.

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok then, guess its time for a new vid card...

It's an AGp system too, so I've gotta get one compatible with it Confused

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can get up to a Geforce 7800 as far as the Nvidia cards go but its probably going to involve ebay getting one.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not worth to buy another video card because of VXLSE III, unless it is affecting the performance of other applications that you really need.

Buying an AGP card is also a waste of money. Once you need a new system, you'd better buy a new motherboard, processor, memory and a better video card.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
What is lagging your system is definitely the video card, which is the piece of hardware that the renderer most relies on. As far as I could see, it is somewhat in a similar level than a GeForce FX5200 or worse.

I have a GeForce FX 5200 in one of my computers, and there is no lag whatsoever in VXLSE III's 3D preview, even with the Kirov rotating as you described (I just checked, to be sure).

Last edited by Orac on Thu May 28, 2009 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you have implemented the Render To Texture wrongly (Don't know not looked) and havn't forced the actual texture size to be a power of two, then you will find that alot of older generation cards will not render at a fast speed when the window is not a power of two size. Newer cards that have the power of two opengl extention are not effected by this problem.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The program does render to textures with a power of two size, just like OS:VV does, unless the GetPow2Size method in OS:VV is not working correctly.

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It should be. Non power of 2 textures are just top of any list of "Things which may cause lag at odd sizes".

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum