Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
Water Animation?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject:  Water Animation? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is it possible to animate the water like in Generals for RA2?

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Technically yes but animated terrain is generally not really effective. Though, ask Mig Eater. I think he has animated shorelines.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Terrain animations are possible, but it would likely lag the game a lot on slower machines...
I know that in Tiberian Sun animating tiberium would cause the game to get desynchronized while playing online, so it'd likely be the same with animated water/shores. Maybe if there's a way to tell the game the water animations don't need to be synchronized between players, there wouldn't be a problem... Although I wouldn't know how. Possibly "Normalized=no" does this?

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm pretty sure the terrain control files don't use any art tags. My knowledge on terrain is a bit shaky I know but I'm pretty sure Normalized is just for animated objects in art.ini.

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

take a look on the waterfalls and how they work

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, animated terrain and animated tiberium are something different.
Animated tiberium uses CellAnim which most probably cause the Sync-problem, as it is a rules.ini key and most of the rules.ini stuff needs to be synchronized.

Animated Terrain uses a special key in temperate.ini to assign a certain art.ini anim to this terrain piece. Since waterfalls work perfectly fine and you can even place hundreds of waterfalls on a map without any lag on MP, i'm pretty sure you can do animated terrain too.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does DCoder know this? Maybe someone should put this up on the ARES page...

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeHawwww! I finally created animated water, though the offset and zadjust needs to be tweaked, going to go fiddle with it now, will have some results later and post code so others can enjoy making animated water too.

Last edited by crevio on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

crevio wrote:
[WATERANIM]
LoopStart=0
LoopEnd=0
LoopCount=-1

0 frames!?
something is obviously wrong here. Wink

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to get my animated water more translucent, are there any other settings besides Translucency= 25,50, or 75. Would like it to be near invisible yet still see the anim motion on the water. Heres my code for art. Dont mind the code its like that for testing purposes, and to find the best results with the least amount of lag. Someone said animated terrain dont lag the game, but ohhhh yes it does!

Code:
[WATERANIM2]
Theater=no
Normalized=yes
LoopStart=0
LoopEnd=30
LoopCount=-1
Rate=200
Flat=yes
;DetailLevel=2
DemandLoad=true
;ShouldUseCellDrawer=true
;StartSound=WaterfallLoop
;AltPalette=yes
;Layer=ground
;Translucent=yes   
Translucency=75
;Tiled=yes
TranslucencyDetailLevel=2

WaterAnim.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  570.89 KB
 Viewed:  4029 Time(s)

WaterAnim.gif

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

try it without transluency and see if lag is reduced

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

Dny
Energy Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

raminator wrote:
try it without transluency and see if lag is reduced

It will be redused i have tested that (in Yuri) if all animations dont have transluency=not much lagg Wink

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah from all my testing, unless you have a very high end computer the Translucency= tag is bad news. Oh well I guess untill I can afford a new motherboard for my laptop (350.00 frickin dollars) I'm stuck with this old P4 comp.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, translucency is always bad news no matter what system youve got. It's just the way YR is (it's a very low spec game...).

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I disagree, my Dell QuadCore, 4GB ram, with NVidia graphic's laptop had hardly any problems at all with any type of anim whether it had translucency or not.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not everyone has a quad with that much RAM so that's an incorrect test case.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

Location: Hampshire, England. Creating RA2: Moscow's vengeance

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Dell QuadCore

Lies, dell manufactures nothing but cases. They buy all the innards from other companies.

crevio
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Lt, for one please dont call me a liar, and 2 what are you talking about? It's a frickin Dell with a quad core processor, Oh I'm sorry I forgot to mention the word "Intel" ...jesus christ! Rolling Eyes

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could have been AMD.

Dark Templar X wrote:
Not everyone has a quad with that much RAM so that's an incorrect test case.
Well I do and it sitll lags as much as the last computer.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can run Crysis easily, but a Prisma-spam slows my computer down to a grind.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Well I do and it sitll lags as much as the last computer.

Stands to reason though. YR is a single core game and will only use a single core so having multiple doesn't do any good. I have a C2D and I need the ddraw.dll otherwise I get some slowdowns too.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think cores really matter when 266mhz requirements vs 2.8ghz in reality. Plus more efficient CPU than a P2. It's just fail coding.

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only on account of the software wanting to handle rendering instead of letting DirectDraw do it. That's the biggest reason really.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any way to properly get it to outsource the job to directdraw?

Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Without Ares telling it to, not really. The best is to disable DirectDraw or disable the back buffer. Why the latter works is quite beyond me.

Lt Albrecht
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Ares telling it to
Any talk of this in the DevCave?

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how do i go about disabling the back buffer?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Dark Templar X
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In ra2(md).ini;
[Video]
VideoBackBuffer=no

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [28 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon