Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:41 pm
All times are UTC + 0
The Economy
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

What method of gathering money is best?
Garrisoning Civilian Buildings
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Capturing towns
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Keep Ore
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject:  The Economy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, in Broken Alliance, I have come up with four ways of gathering cash. I didn't like the method of ore mining, as ore fields were tricky to defend, and offered little strategy.

Which do you think will be best? They are....

Earning small amounts of money every minute from garrisoned civilian buildings

Capturing villages, towns, or cities (clusters of civilian buildings in varying size) by capturing the town hall in the centre. The bigger the settlement, the more funds recieved.

Keep Ore mining

Litter maps with toned-down oil derricks. Players must capture and defend these for funds.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course, capturing towns! This is the spirit of war Very Happy. This will certainly improve strategy. But for some maps, other methods might be important also, specially in maps that have no city at all...

zdflamer2
Shrapnel Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i would use all 4, depending on the maps, if a player makes a map for a mod, then they have the choice and it maps could change the strategy completely

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think I may have some maps where oil derricks are used instead, but not all 4. I'll have different game modes for the two.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Have you got an shp already for the town centre? Are you using an existing one or making a new one? I'd love to help make it in some way (it's a cool idea, and I like being involved in cool ideas #Tongue).

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, ill probably need about 6, for these:

Very small building for a cluster of houses or a farm.
Slightly bigger building (church?) for a village hall. A reasonably large village.
Medium building for a town hall.
Monumental building for a larger town hall.
Large monumental building for city district (for city maps)
Enormous skyscraper for sprawling cities.

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I believe Blitz2 uses a similar method of resource gathering (capturing towns), and it works well in that so i don't see why it shouldn't work well here.

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think they used garrisoning civilian buildings.

awrethien
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be interesting. Id sugest a combination of the methodes because what happens if the buildings get hit with a Nuke? (Nuking defenslice civilions sounds like fun lol Twisted Evil )

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I may have a mode where you can garrison civilian buildings. Or, since im getting rid of terror drones, I could give the town centre terror drone armour and make all weapons useless against it except superweapons. So on a superweapons game, it would be quite possible to nuke a city to prevent your enemy from getting his hands on it.

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But what is a town if not a collection of civilian buildings, i say go for civvy buildings as you can have the town being split between the players, with urban battles to sweep out opponents, bring up the engineers, and re-garrison the building yourself, would make it very tactical.

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But wouldnt everyone just rush and put one infantry into every building on the map?

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, and then they'd lose them to people who rush to put two infantry into each.

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

(I ought to mention all infantry will be able to garrison civilian buildings and fire out, á la generals.)

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How would capturing a town make you money in real life anyway?

Lord Kal wrote:
since im getting rid of terror drones, I could give the town centre terror drone armour and make all weapons useless against it except superweapons.

why?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So you could absolutely destroy the city if you wanted to.

But.... what would I do if people just destroyed the civilian buildings? Then there would be no money on the map.

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that would be a problem

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it can't be the only source of cash available, but it should be the easiest one...

E.I.G.
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like these ideas, they sound like they would make a great game. If its posible, one way to solve the all buldings are distroyed problem is to make the buldings rebuild over time, or be buildable if you capture the main building.
PS: I can't spell

W/P
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

how about you get a set amount o cash every minuite you defend a biulding??

ENGLAND 2006!!! HAWAY THE LADS!!!

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be good if there was a way to make buildings undestroyable, but they could still go down to red and be damaged(so as to evacuate the people inside.)

Alternatively, I could give each side infantry units which clear civilian buildings.

Perhaps i'll release a small mod which converts the moneymaking system to the two and we can see which is best.

Clazzy
Karma Police

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's also one other thing. What about the AI? Will they be able to cope with something like this as they generally have a habit of blowing up almost any civilian building they see. I think it should be more like the bridge repair hut. Indestructable and allows engineers to go into it. If it's destroyable, people will simply blow them all up and starve their enemy into defeat.

Is it possible for units to enter a structure and gain some cash? You could create the illusion of pillaging the supplies there and selling them for cash. Then you could receive a small but steady supply of cash.

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Remember, i'll be adding Assaulter infantry to deal with garrisoned civilian buildings.

So we see garrisoning buildings would be more tactical, but it is flawed. Capturing towns would be good, and quite tactical as the enemy would have to break through the outer perimeter of garrisoned buildings as well. I just think it might look a bit silly if the civilian buildings around it are destroyed.

Tratos
General

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The AI should be possible

Rules.ini =

NeutralTechBuildings=CAAIRP,CATHOSP,CAOILD,CAOUTP,CAMACH,CAPOWR

And then some extra taskforces for each side, to make them build engineers, and send them off to capture tech structures. Should work, although they might try to capture all the airfields etc... first, but it should stand a good chance of working if the majority of the tech buildings are civvy buildings.

Lord Kal
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not worried about AI right now. For those of you who have never tinkered with it, the RA2 AI is immensely powerful. Its just Westwood used it to about 30% of its potential.

What I am worried about is the method and rules coding I will use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [25 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon