Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am
All times are UTC + 0
The Cloning Vats -COMPLETED
Moderators: DaFool, Dutchygamer
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject:  The Cloning Vats -COMPLETED Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, you build this building; the clonign vats, and it's suppose to give you a free infantry whenever you buy one. Possible in Generals? Absolutley.

However, I am trying to figure out the most efficent path to doing so. If there is a module that will enable another module when triggered by an upgrade, that will save me alot of time and effort, however, this is what I am doing for now, and it works:

1) Build the cloning vat. Upon completion of the cloning vat, you will be granted an upgrade; cloning upgrade.
2) Your barracks. The barrack's commandset will be upgraded (aka changed) when triggered by this action.
3) The Commandset. You will have a new but graphically identical commandset, which has commandbuttons for cloned (as in c&ped ini entries) of the infantry.
4) Back to the barracks. There is a module used in the chinese barracks that makes it build two red guards instead of one. I will have a module for every of the cloned infantry, so two will be built at the barracks.

So, all in all, you build the cloning vats which changes the commandset of the barracks so it now builds the infantry which will cause the barracks to build it in sets of two.

If the module mentioned above exists (I tried searching 'enable, allow, and turnon' in the module list there, but to no avail) then I could skip the commandset upgrades and the cloned infantry entries, and just enable to modules that allow for two units to be produced from the getgo, thus saving alot of effort.

Last edited by DaFool on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ain't it an easier solution to make the Cloning Vats act like a barracks, only producing 2 inf instead of 1?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But doesn't that make everything over-complex?
I would be wondering in vain whether it is possible to make a unit appear at a building other than the one which would normally create it, right? #Tongue

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Dutchy, making the Cloning Vats another barracks would be the easiest solution, but I feel that it is not the best. For seevral reasons: 1) it will make the older barracks obsolete, 2) It sucks compared to the other factions* and 3) it just wont be that big of a benefit.

*Compare to the industrial plant. It gives a discunt to all vehicles produced at all factories. Your method will only give an additional soldier when bought from that cloning facilitiy.

My method will allow all barracks already on the feild to produce additional infantry whenever one is produced, and is what I feel closer to what the original did, or atleast adapted to Generals.

I have also had a thought, there is a tag in some Triggers that is "TriggeredByUpgrade = ". When I get home I am going to test if adding this to other modules will have the desiered effect, which would cut down on alot of work.

JJ_
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

More or less what you mentioned should work, just you don't need to copy all the infantry codes, just make it a reskin like the Technical variations.

Before you upgrade, you create the build variation object which isn't doubled, then after that you build the build variation object which is doubled when built. This will also prevent the bug with not able to group-select the C&P'd units with the original ones.

Another idea is to make the Cloning Vats give a 50% cost reduction to infantry.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JJ_ wrote:
More or less what you mentioned should work, just you don't need to copy all the infantry codes, just make it a reskin like the Technical variations.

Before you upgrade, you create the build variation object which isn't doubled, then after that you build the build variation object which is doubled when built. This will also prevent the bug with not able to group-select the C&P'd units with the original ones.

Another idea is to make the Cloning Vats give a 50% cost reduction to infantry.

50% cost AND speed reduction.

JJ_
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Simple speed reduction in the manner of cost reduction triggered by the Refinery is not possible.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking about this the other day, couldn't I just clone the barracks so that it has codes to build 2 of each infantry, and thus only 1 object entry will be cloned rather than 1 for each infantry, and I can have the barracks turn into the other through the Vats granting an upgrade which triggers the barracks to upgrade to the next one.

JJ_
Light Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That module is slightly problematic, it will automatically heal any damage. I guess you can somehow do it the Sneak Attack Tunnel way maybe? (through death modules)

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, the OCL list stuff for deaths has the ability to transfer health.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, I have this working fine ingame. Just make 2 barracks, one with production updates to produce two of all infantry available, and then the normal one. The cloning vats will grant an upgrade upon completion that triggers the normal barracks into becoming the upgraded one, and you're all set.

Just make sure you set the prerequisite for your infantry to have either no prerequisite or just require a structure other than the original barracks, because once they get the upgrade, they will all become another building, and therefore no longer serve as the prerequisite.

The-Light
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why use a moduleTag per unit if you can do all units in one moduletag, i tried it you can really do more units in one moduleTag.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh you can? Then I'll make my code more efficent when I get the chance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon