Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:25 am
All times are UTC + 0
Mammoth Tank idea
Moderators: Carnius
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject:  Mammoth Tank idea Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've thought up of an idea for the Mammoth Tank. I find that it's too good of a unit with dual rocket launchers AND the dual cannons/railguns.

I had this idea of perhaps removing the rocket launchers and adding them instead as an upgrade. This upgrade would add these launchers onto the Mammoth Tank and allow it to use a Rocket Barrage ability. This ability would fire the missiles from its twin rocket launchers into a target area and would be good against light units like Buggies, Seekers, Bikes, Pitbulls, Harvesters, APCs and some T1 and T2 infantry.

Perhaps it could still keep its AA capacities, but then I kinda think it woud become an OP unit by not only being good against medium and large units and good against most air units, but also being able to easily kill masses of lower tech units, which is its only weakness ATM.

Atari2600
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That seems understandable.

Perhaps in the un-upgraded version, the rockets point up, sorta like the RA1/RA2 Mammoth/Apocalypse. I believe those are purely anti-air.

Anyway, just a thought.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

IMO the rockets should just be made pure AA, with a moderately slow ROF. Letting its rockets attack surface targets is too good for killing the masses of low-tech units that are supposed to serve as its weakness.

The white lady~!

Carnius
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like mammoth tank like it is right now, its quite the same like my favorite Tiberian Down mammoth tank which was capable of firing missiles at any target (RA mamoth too). Its very cool unit and i missed him in Tiberian Sun very much so in CnC3 its like dream come true.
The capability of firing missiles at any target any time makes mammoth tank mammoth tank, without that it got to be not mammoth tank but apocalipse tank or something completly else.

And in both my mod or vanilla TW its nothing better than watching like couple of mammoth tanks annihilate army of tier 1 units with railguns and missiles. I never get bored of such picture and never destroy it not even if that got to be reasonable. (which is, no doubt about that, but also boring)

0warfighter0
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like it as it is to, maybe you can counter it with the Cyborg commando, I think he'd be able to handle it.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Cyborg Commando's for Nod only. How are GDI and Scrin supposed to deal with it?

And Carnius, I think now that the MK II is in, it can assume the role of the epic one-unit army. The Mammoth Tanks can be built in quantity, if they were too strong, Nod and Scrin would suffer unless they have a countermeasure.

The white lady~!

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And do they not have appropriate countermeasures? Even though I am an avid Scrin player, I still prefer the Mammoth as it is. The entire Scrin ground forces are healed by Tiberium AND Corruptors, in addition their aircraft need no reloading, the Devvies and PACs are boosted by the Ion Storms, and the Mothership can...

...and for Nod, that...I don't know. #Tongue

Rico
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnius wrote:
I like mammoth tank like it is right now, its quite the same like my favorite Tiberian Down mammoth tank which was capable of firing missiles at any target (RA mamoth too).

It's the same thing as the TD mammy except its got a different looking model (slightly) and u can now upgrade it with railguns (err why isnt this default since MMKII had duel railguns by default Confused )

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valdez wrote:
IMO the rockets should just be made pure AA, with a moderately slow ROF. Letting its rockets attack surface targets is too good for killing the masses of low-tech units that are supposed to serve as its weakness.

That idea is the most ludicrous I have ever heard, The mammoth must be able to fire against both air and land units or it wouldn't be the C&C mammy I have known and loved all these years.

Wow talking about loving a virtual tank of pure win.....

Just make it OWNE.. It is worthy of being a modernised epic unit imo..

Now I sound like a C&C vet, there are but afew of us in the swathes of ZOMG C&C 3 generation players.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mortecha wrote:

That idea is the most ludicrous I have ever heard

You wanna know what's ludicrous? Replacing a perfectly good and reliable tank with a big and clunky equine mech that needs to rotate its entire body just to aim its weapons.

And yet Westwood did it.

And EA did it. Again. For C&C 4.

I can't believe EA passed up the chance to do a Banshee and instead went and made the Mastodon for C&C 4.

Mortecha wrote:

The mammoth must be able to fire against both air and land units or it wouldn't be the C&C mammy I have known and loved all these years.

If something as superficial as that is what keeps you loving the Mammoth Tank all these years, I really cannot argue with you because I'm not on the same wavelength. If I love a unit I normally do so for more reasons than whether it has AA in-game or not.

The white lady~!

ilic stefan
Medic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Mammoth tank counter measure Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valdez wrote:
The Cyborg Commando's for Nod only. How are GDI and Scrin supposed to deal with it?

And Carnius, I think now that the MK II is in, it can assume the role of the epic one-unit army. The Mammoth Tanks can be built in quantity, if they were too strong, Nod and Scrin would suffer unless they have a countermeasure.

And they have, planetary asault carrier, devastator, tripod.

Heavy aircrafts can destroy mammoth easily and anihilator can fire emp to disable it but needs to be close. It seems that mammoth needs counter measure for this.

Nod has venoms, group of 5+ with lasers can tear appart mammoth and even go to repair itself. Ther is also avatar and vertigo bombers, and black hand. Enough?

White Wolf
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, Westwood made the Mammoth Mk. II having to rotate its entire body around to man its rail guns in a given direction...but we fixed that, didn't we? Smile

I'd rather keep the Mammoth Tank with its Rockets as it is. The rockets and the Mammoth Tank have always gone hand-in-hand with each other. to make them an upgrade would detract from the classic aura of the Mammoth Tank

in that regard, we should try to enable to Mammoth Tank to repair itself when its armor drops below 50%, just as it always has

same goes for the Mammoth Mk. II if it hasn't been done so already.

Eagle 11
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes Mammoth Tank should autorepair without gaining veterancy at least.Mammoth Mk2 can be left away cause its already epic unit Very Happy

ilic stefan
Medic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Mammoth tank Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eagle 11 wrote:
Yes Mammoth Tank should autorepair without gaining veterancy at least.Mammoth Mk2 can be left away cause its already epic unit Very Happy

Also I noticed that flame does much more damage to mammy or to say to all vehicles. It should be fised. Flame should be good vs infantry and buildings, moderate vs light units. And crap vs heavy units. Also 10 shots from mammoth tank kills just one member of the black hand and others are almost unharmed. Do I have to remind you what is railgun or you should fix it.

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valdez wrote:
Mortecha wrote:

That idea is the most ludicrous I have ever heard

You wanna know what's ludicrous? Replacing a perfectly good and reliable tank with a big and clunky equine mech that needs to rotate its entire body just to aim its weapons.

And yet Westwood did it.

And EA did it. Again. For C&C 4.

I can't believe EA passed up the chance to do a Banshee and instead went and made the Mastodon for C&C 4.

Mortecha wrote:

The mammoth must be able to fire against both air and land units or it wouldn't be the C&C mammy I have known and loved all these years.

If something as superficial as that is what keeps you loving the Mammoth Tank all these years, I really cannot argue with you because I'm not on the same wavelength. If I love a unit I normally do so for more reasons than whether it has AA in-game or not.

I was refering to the TD mammy or RA2 apoc or the TW mammy based tank as found within the first 2 posts. Such a tank fires missiles at both land and Air units. If you also notice in the first post Alex06 states the use of cannons also...

Also there's nothing superficial about liking a tank that can shoot missiles at anything, it is merely one of the elements that make the mammy tank in what ever form own.

The current TW design is excellent and portrays the very essence of what a mammoth tank should be like, so it wont do much harm changing very little and keeping it the way it is.

TX1138
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mortecha wrote:
RA2 Apoc...

...could not fire missiles against ground units.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mortecha wrote:
there's nothing superficial about liking a tank that can shoot missiles at anything

No no what I said was, it's superficial to like a tank that does just that, and suddenly stop liking it when it can no longer do that.

Ultimately balance > style. I don't think firepower should be at the expense of gameplay balance. After the 2nd or 3rd round of pwnage with the same OP unit, it gets stale.

The white lady~!

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon