Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm
All times are UTC + 0
So-called global event
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Gaijin121
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject:  So-called global event Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if this idea will be accepted and considered good, but I will explain it and see how you like it.
Lets say Ion Storm is kind of random event, that cannot be artificially created. Since it effects whole map, we could say it is global. Hence comes the expression global event. In original Tiberian Sun, only global event was Ion Storm. So could you guys add any other global events, such as Tiberium Supercrystals (as those seen in Tib. Wars). It would slowly grow and its growth would cause tremors in proximity. Feel free to say what you think, and even suggest your own global events.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We've been discussing things like these 'global events' in the staff forum, mostly things to do with rain and weather effects.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Global events are a bit tricky as it isn't easy to affect the whole map. Animations can cover a wide area, but if you want to do damage too, you have to make sure that nearly every second cell deals some damage.

And an effect like an earthquake (tremor) that does damage over the whole map, can cause heavy lags due to the many particles used by the necessary particlesystem.

But none the less we will try to add different global events and if you have an idea for such an event you can post it here.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only PCs that will lag are those that are from 2005 and older. (Very few) Anything that can withstand RA3, Crysis and such, will not even as much slow down a little.

Lord Unforgiven
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alex06 wrote:
The only PCs that will lag are those that are from 2005 and older. (Very few) Anything that can withstand RA3, Crysis and such, will not even as much slow down a little.

Not quite true.
My pc can play RA3 on max detail. However, if I play TS with Nod and cloak my entire base, I run into some lag. No problematic lag: I can still play the game, even faster then when it came out, but I notice the difference.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You will still get lag even if you have a really powerful PC, the problem is the inefficiency of the games core code & not hardware.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The TS (and RA2 engine too) are not optimized and will give lag with anims and particles, which is a shame Neutral

Gaijin121
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had one idea which i linked with some cool mechanic, but problem is i already mentioned this idea once on a some forum (maybe on this) and nobody liked idea, except me, so as result i am reluctant to tell about it again. And besides, i suspect global events would only work in newer games-personally i would love to see it used in CC3 modification.
Global events need to have widespread effect on the game. Like, when Ion Storm hits: radar shuts down, every flying unit lands, lightning strikes cause damage to buildings... What I am trying to say is, that rain and fog is not exactly qualified for global event.
Nobody said nothing about that super-crystal idea i posted. Was it so bad everybody ignored it? How do you think it would work in never game?

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The best global event would be a meteor hitting, wiping everything out and reshaping the map. Laughing

Alex06
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
The best global event would be a meteor hitting, wiping everything out and reshaping the map. Laughing

As crazy as it sounds, this might be doable, but the game engine will lag like hell most likely.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only in singleplayer if you did like the YR first mission and have basically 2 versions of the map on the same map and change the visible area.

Of course that could work in multiplayer but players would "lose" their stuff, and only be able to gain preplaced structures etc But it was an idea not meant to happen. #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gaijin121 wrote:
Global events need to have widespread effect on the game. Like, when Ion Storm hits: radar shuts down, every flying unit lands, lightning strikes cause damage to buildings...

The TS engine is quite limited in this case and we can only use existing logics. For example we can only do damage (on a random amount of cells) or emp over the whole map.

That's why the variety and the possibility to add global effects is quite limited.

Gaijin121 wrote:
What I am trying to say is, that rain and fog is not exactly qualified for global event.
Nobody said nothing about that super-crystal idea i posted. Was it so bad everybody ignored it? How do you think it would work in never game?

We can of course add big tiberium monoliths, which in fact are already planned. But we can't make them grow/spread as they will be only buildings that look like a crystal.
Tremors/earthquakes around them is also not that easy as TS doesn't supports screen shaking (like on big explosion in Tiberian Dawn) and area damage can again only be done via particlesystems, cluster missile logic and art.ini debris. All three of them do area damage only by randomly choosing cells around the centre cell and applying damage on these cells.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The idea of a map reformation is excellent, shame it's only possible via singleplayer maps (Yes, it can be done in TS).
Oh, sorry I've not been active recently guys, I've not had much time for MSN, PPM etc. #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum