Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Adding a new Playable Faction [ZH] (1/3)
Moderators: Generals Moderators, Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject:  Adding a new Playable Faction [ZH] (1/3)
Subject description: PlayerTemplate.ini and ControlBarScheme.ini
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Adding a Playabe Faction

I have recently begun my crusade into modding generals after all these years that it's been out.  Noticing that there aren't too many tutorials at this site, I've decided to write some basic ones up about stuff I have just learned how to do.  This is based in part upon other peoples' tutorials, but I have rewritten it myself, and I use XCC not FinalBig Wink

Tools Required: XCC Utilities, Notepad.

Step 1, Setting up Your ZH Directory:
The first step in modding Zero Hour is setting up your directory so you can place your new files in it.  You must locate your ZH directory, and it's location shall differ if you installed it through The First Decade or Zero Hour by itself.  Most likely you cn find it through my computer -> program files -> EA Games -> (The first decade) -> Command and Conquer Zero Hour.  Once you have found and entered the directory, I recomend you hit the "sort by file type" button.  On the top of the lists should be folders.  You should see a folder named "Data".  If not, create it.  Inside of this folder you should see a folder named "INI" (and if not, create it) and a folder named "English" (if not create it).  *I highly recomend you make a shortcut to this folder on your desktop.*  Once you enter the INI folder, you have completed the first step.  However, you can go further and help out future use; if inside the INI folder you do not see the folder named "objects", then create it now.  You can now minimize the folder and move on to step 2.

Step 2, getting the right files:
Open up XCC mixer and navigate to your Zero Hour directory.  Look through the list of files and you should see ENGLISHZH.big.  Double click on it.  Within this directory, locate the file named "generals.csf".  Right click on it and extract it to your desktop.  Now go to your desktop and move this file to the zero hour directory in the folders data -> english.  Go back to XCC Mixer and hit backspace.  You should be in the zer hour directory, if not go to it.  Locate the file INIZH.big and double click on it. There are two files you need to extract now.  "PlayerTemplate.ini" and "ControlBarScheme.ini".  Once you have extracted these to your desktop, you can move them to your zerho hour directory data/ini.  Now the planets are aligned for your success Wink.

Step 3, making the additions:
You can close XCC mixer, you won't need it for now.  Go into the ini folder in the ZH directory and click on the PlayerTemplate.ini file.  (if it asks what program to open it with, choose notepad).  This file has the entries for all the playable factions in ZH.  If you want to add a new one, simply copy any of the entires and paste it at the bottom.  For this tutorial, we'll do the third one; America.  Copy the entire entry and paste it at the bottom.  We will now examine some of the choices you have to edit.

The first thing you should do is change the name FactionAmerica to another name (make sure you keep the Faction part).  I called mine FactionAllies (and you can call yours what ever you want).  The second line said "side = USA", change it to whatever you want  I did "side = Allies".  If you scroll down you will see the folowing tags;

DisplayName       = ;Change this to INI:Faction(your sides name)
 StartingBuilding  = ;this decides what building to use at the start, change it to whatever you want (copy paste from another side if you wish to do this)
 StartingUnit0     = ;this decides what construction unit you start out with.  (if you change it, copy paste from another faction).

Once you have made the changes you desire, save it and close it.  Now go to the INI folder and open up "ControlBarScheme".  copy the entry for "America8x6" and paste it at the bottom.  Rename it from America8x6 to your factions name (I did Allies8x6).  Save and close.

Step 4, naming it:
What we do now is add the names that show up ingame.  Open XCC Mixer and click Launch/string table editor/open... Navigate to the ZH directory, go data/english/ and open generals.csf.  You will need to add a couple entries.  In the INI setion, ad INI:Faction(your faction).  Set the value to your factions name. In the side section, add Side:(whatever you put for side = ) and set the value for whatever you want it to be.  Once you have done that click ok.

Step 5, testing it
Everything should go well for you, and your faction should be choosable in skirmish.  If not, double check what you did with the tutorial or leave a comment here.

Key Words: #Tutorials #Modding #Generals #ZeroHour #XCCUtilities 

Last edited by DaFool on Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:14 am; edited 2 times in total

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job. Wink

Heh, I remember when I made new factoins..... lol #Tongue

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too bad it's quite hard (if not impossible) to add AI to this side, so the CPU can play with it Laughing
Anyways, good tutorial (and I really should make my base-building tutorial I promised #Tongue)

Joshy
Schwing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Too bad it's quite hard (if not impossible) to add AI to this side, so the CPU can play with it
Anyways, good tutorial (and I really should make my base-building tutorial I promised )

IIRC Creator has made AI for his new sides (Robots, Flame, and that GLA one... can't remember the name...) in Contra.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you can have up to 15 functional AIs in each map. No more. Considering that the game (ZH) already comes with 12 factions, there are not much room for more.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the compliments.
I'll try to get a new tutorial up everyday. One of my proffessors says "the best way to learn something is to teach it", so I'll try this out for modding.

KeserYeser
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks man but i have problem.

i add the new armys , i add "China Hackers General".

and i have the skin USA , and music USA.
why? and i check the file , i see its write china.

and more problem:
in new armys i add , the line of power big.

thanks for help.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dude, I have no idea what you are saying.

Try just copy and pasting and seeing if it shows up ingame. Then play around with the stuff.

So from what I understand, you have the interface look and sound like USA, and then I don't understand what you are saying here: "why? and i check the file, i see it's write china". Perhaps you did not save it?

lin of power bug? I don't know anything about this. Can you describe it?

KeserYeser
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TiberianFiend
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the problem is the ControlBarScheme.INI
go into it and copy the code for china (in this case)
and paste it at the bottum of the file and rename the title
to your Side
eg
to change the style copy and paste the faction style you want and place your name after the basic faction aka(GLA,China,USA)
Code:
ControlBarScheme China(Name of your faction)8x6
  ScreenCreationRes X:800 Y:600
  Side (the side of your faction(no need for china,USA or gla in front))
  QueueButtonImage SCBigButton
  RightHUDImage SNLogo
  CommandBarBorderColor R:90 G:125 B:2 A:255   ;blue
  BuildUpClockColor R:0 G:0 B:0 A:160
  ButtonBorderBuildColor R:67 G:108 B:190 A:255   ;blue
  ButtonBorderActionColor R:1 G:175 B:2 A:255     ;Green
  ButtonBorderUpgradeColor R:208 G:108 B:0 A:255  ;Orange
  ButtonBorderSystemColor R:207 G:195 B:2 A:255   ;yellow

GenBarButtonIn SNBarButtonGen2IN
  GenBarButtonOn SNBarButtonGen2ON
  CommandMarkerImage SNEmptyFrame
  ToggleButtonUpIn SNMaxMinUH
  ToggleButtonUpOn SNMaxMinU
  ToggleButtonUpPushed SNMaxMinUP

ToggleButtonDownIn SNMaxMinH
  ToggleButtonDownOn SNMaxMin
  ToggleButtonDownPushed SNMaxMinP

OptionsButtonEnable SNOptions
  OptionsButtonHightlited SNOptionsH
  OptionsButtonPushed SNOptionsP
  IdleWorkerButtonEnable SNWorker
  IdleWorkerButtonHightlited SNWorkerH
  IdleWorkerButtonPushed SNWorkerP
  IdleWorkerButtonDisabled SNWorkerI
  BuddyButtonEnable SNChat
  BuddyButtonHightlited SNChatH
  BuddyButtonPushed SNChatP

OptionsButtonDisabled SNOptionsI
BuddyButtonDisabled SNChatI
BeaconButtonDisabled SNBeaconI

BeaconButtonEnable SNBeacon
  BeaconButtonHightlited SNBeaconH
  BeaconButtonPushed SNBeaconP

GeneralButtonEnable SNGeneral
  GeneralButtonHightlited SNGeneralH
  GeneralButtonPushed SNGeneralP
  GeneralButtonDisabled SNGeneralI

UAttackButtonEnable SNUAttackI
  UAttackButtonHightlited SNUAttackH
  UAttackButtonPushed SNUAttackP

MinMaxButtonEnable SNMaxMin
  MinMaxButtonHightlited SNMaxMinH
  MinMaxButtonPushed SNMaxMinP

MinMaxUL X:640 Y:433
  MinMaxLR X:687 Y:464
  GeneralUL X:712 Y:433
  GeneralLR X:770 Y:464
  UAttackUL X:97 Y:420
  UAttackLR X:132 Y:437

OptionsUL X:184 Y:490
  OptionsLR X:220 Y:514
  WorkerUL X:184 Y:516
  WorkerLR X:220 Y:540
  ChatUL X:184 Y:568
  ChatLR X:220 Y:592
  BeaconUL X:184 Y:545
  BeaconLR X:220 Y:566
  PowerBarUL X:260 Y:469
  PowerBarLR X:538 Y:475

MoneyUL X:360 Y:437
  MoneyLR X:439 Y:456

GenArrow CHINALevelUP

ExpBarForegroundImage SNExpBar
  ImagePart
    Position X:0 Y:414
    Size X:800 Y:184
    ImageName InGameUIChinaBase
    Layer 4 ;; layer means how deep the image will be drawn, it's a number between 0-5 with 0 being on top
  End
  PowerPurchaseImage GeneralsPowerMenu_China
End

Frontlines
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have the same problem as the person with the Background for purchasing General powers.. but.. .. getting ahead of myself..

ok..
so i make the playertemplate *copy and paste, edit the Strings etc. then.. i make the Controlbar scheme.. or w.e

and..
ill go in game to see if it works..
-two things.
One.. it still says missing string

Two.
- i use a 1200x w.e -its like the max size.. not 800x600
first.. off.. in that image the guy showed of the missing background..
i have that..
+
half the bar is gone.
-the lower bar where u purchase units and such..
its like its smaller and only fit 800 x 600
because. ill switch to 800x600 resolution and itll look fine.. but its not really fine x.x
so the image is hellah off..

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon