Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:57 am
All times are UTC + 0
Voices from C&C4? In your TE? Hey, it could be good.
Moderators: Carnius
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
rcp90
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject:  Voices from C&C4? In your TE? Hey, it could be good. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had a few thoughts regarding unit voices in the mod, namely using some C&C4 voices in place of certain "Mk. II" variations of units such as Scorpions, Predators, and so on to set them apart from the old versions found in crates. I had posted in the comments section a couple of times but got buried under other posts quickly, however... I did manage to contact Carnius about this and he said he'd take a look.

So what I thought I'd do is make a thread so the mod community can poll and post their thoughts on the matter. I'll post my ideas for now.

Two GDI tanks have decent, military voices: the Hunter and the Sheppard. Either could potentially be good for the new version of the Predator.

Though I doubt a voice used in a flying repair ship would have any use, the Archangel actually has a decent voice with a couple good lines. Rest assured, we will win.

The Firehawk might be good for the Orca Bomber. Not saying having the Aurora is bad [if I recall correctly, haven't used the bomber in awhile], keeping it in the Tib universe may or may not be prefered. From my conversations with Carnius, he appears to agree with this.

Juggernaut and Mastodon are good for voice though I don't really know if they'd have a place. Then again, the TT APC is a little better than the TW one, but the Juggy would be more awesome to hear than him. Somehow TW's APC doesn't sound right as a unit called Goliath...

The Wolf Tank sounds better than the KW Wolverine, though just about any unit sounds more badass than mr. "I think I crapped my suit!"

As ridiculous as TT's Scorpion and Avatar look, they actually sound better than their TW counterparts. Though the Avenger could also be a Scorpion option for a more military tank voice.

I don't remember if the old Buggy/Bike are/will be crate units, though the TT versions' voices are decent.

KW Reckoner sounds good as he is, but he lacks an attack voice. If you don't mind a woman with somewhat bland lines, TT's Reckoner has attack lines made for a fire port unit. Her burrow lines could even be used for the burrow attack. If nothing else, the psycho Marauder would be fun to hear somewhere.

Borg Basilisk as Basilisk Beam Cannon. This would be awesome.

Not to say that TS's cyborg voices are bad, they're better than anything EA made. But their lines are lacking in number; the Reaper and Enlightened are decent, though I honestly wondered why not use KW's Awakened as the cyborgs; they do sound pretty good. Nostalgia is all well and good, but while I've likely misread a great number of things, TE has seemed to be a mod to evolve the concept of TS rather than bring it into 3D; to make it the sequel TW should have been. While TS cyborg voices are awesome, quantity-wise they are lacking next to the other voices. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm shot down horrifically on this.

Medusa and Vertigo are somewhat RA3-ish, but they could potentially be good for the Banshee if you'd prefer to have a unit with more lines. Medusa's can also be fitting in the sense that, IIRC, both it and Banshee are named for female demons.

This is just a personal thing, and I'm sure I'm a minority on this issue, but hearing the same death sounds for every infantry when they die is kind of bleh. Especially when I kill the Nod commando and she yells out in a man's voice. Again, nostalgia is all well and good. But sometimes it's just a bit blatantly set apart from the rest, you know?

As an aside, with a few filters, even EA's Cyborg Commando can sound pretty cool. I've just yet to cook up something that sounds different enough to be good, yet doesn't make some lines completely unintelligible.

Oh, as another aside... I'm wondring if it would be possible to have aircraft always play their death sound when they crash. It's a little less satisfying to see them fall without a sound out of their pilots.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Imho, the current voices are okay, so why change them Confused I mean, the original Cyborg Commando voice owns the new one 10 times.

rcp90
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I understand that. My main point is the placeholder TS voices, which were great in TS but feel out of place in a game that's supposed to be evolved from it; it's nice to hear, but only until suitable voices are found in their place. Likewise with the new units that replaced old ones, similar to the Devil's Tongue using a different voice from the crate Flame Tank, I had thought different voices could be used for other replacement units.

And I agree that the cyborgs are awesome as-is, 10 times better is an understatement. My only issue is quantity. But as I said I fully expect to be shot down on that one XP

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

C&C4 voices suck.

Valdez
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rcp90 wrote:
I understand that. My main point is the placeholder TS voices, which were great in TS but feel out of place in a game that's supposed to be evolved from it; it's nice to hear, but only until suitable voices are found in their place.

The C&C 4 voices feel just as much out of place trust me. I've heard the voices.

As far as I'm concerned, most of the current voices are suitable enough. Carnius doesn't have a professional voice actor team at his disposal.

The white lady~!

Carnius
Grenadier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some of cnc4 voices are quite good and i find them useful for my mod. Cobra, stalker and some others, but all together only very few has real quality in it. The rest of them sound too ...dont know the right word for it ... cheesy i think . You know, lines like "For honoour" or "Yeah bro".
And some of these lines is completely out of place, like when GDI unit say "In purpose" - typical nod line, or even better nod unit saying "justice will be done" - good line for gdi units (or rather for USA tank from generals Smile). It feels like someone mixed unit lines list for actors in all this development rush in which cnc4 has been developed, no wonder it is the worst cnc game ever done. Sad

rcp90
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carnius wrote:
And some of these lines is completely out of place, like when GDI unit say "In purpose" - typical nod line, or even better nod unit saying "justice will be done" - good line for gdi units (or rather for USA tank from generals Smile). It feels like someone mixed unit lines list for actors in all this development rush in which cnc4 has been developed, no wonder it is the worst cnc game ever done. Sad

Referring to the Paladin? Yeah, he always felt more Nod-like. Religious figures and GDI don't mix, but neh.

What are your thoughts on the Basilisk btw? I always thought it was awesome, but I've always loved heavily processed voices anyway XD...

Valherran
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The voices in C&C4 aren't THAT bad, not as bad as Yuri's Revenge (shoot the dumb ztype who did the voice for the Flak boat.)

I would rather voices from other games be used than the same existing unit voices doubling for another unit. I have played god knows how many C&C MODs where almost every new tank unit someone adds is a predator tank voice. #Mad

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Valherran wrote:
The voices in C&C4 aren't THAT bad, not as bad as Yuri's Revenge (shoot the dumb ztype who did the voice for the Flak boat.)

I'd like to disagree. I think the joke was supposed to be on Eskimos. Yes, there were actual Eskimo squads in Soviet army.

Eagle 11
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am against this idea,its pretty silly when the commander is called "Kid" by a Buggy driver you know ? I would like to feed that driver to Tiberian Fiends in the Arena to statuate an example Twisted Evil

rcp90
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It makes sense in its own context, though. Buggies aren't piloted by some cocky, reckless teenager; an older guy whose seen action is behind the wheel. If you've survived long enough as a scout to be old enough to call your commander "kid", you've gotta be a damn good scout. Or extremely lucky.

On a slightly different note, the Basilisk is the only TT unit voice I'd really fight to have put in. A laser vehicle would require lots of precise calibrations, no? Especially one designed to calculate firing solutions at the Basilisk's long range. Even more so on a unit designed to do this three times at once. With TE returning Nod's cyborgification to TW, it makes sense to have a cyborg hive mind in the vehicles for efficiency, right? At least a little more than an organic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon