Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:54 am
All times are UTC + 0
Diffuse Textures Being Automatically Generated?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject:  Diffuse Textures Being Automatically Generated?
Subject description: That's our current research.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

Today I've committed a version of VXLSE III that includes a featured called 'Generate Diffuse Texture'. You can grab it HERE. But don't hold any high expectations from it yet. I'm have a shitload of bugs to fix on it and the results are not satisfactory yet, although they do make a bit of sense, if you know what I mean. Here's the texture that it builds from the demo truck (note, I've cropped the picture, since it will always generate 1024x1024 textures at the moment).

demotruck.jpg
 Description:
That's a work in progress attempt to automatically generate diffuse textures.
 Filesize:  85.58 KB
 Viewed:  23042 Time(s)

demotruck.jpg

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Where is this option located? I searched but could not find.

Image4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.27 KB
 Viewed:  22987 Time(s)

Image4.png

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can find it inside the Modelizer Tool (at Tools -> Modelizer).

Once you go to the Modelizer window, check the button near the rotate buttons. It has a lot of opens to tweak your model. The Diffuse Texture generator is inside the Texture Effects.

It has nothing to do with this Voxel Texture tool in your screenshot above.

Bear in mind that the Modelizer is a beta tool and interface is not my priority with it at the moment. I'm simply trying to make stuff work. Once everything is setup, I'll revamp the interface (which sucks at the moment).

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get this when I click Generate Diffuse Texture

Image9.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.08 KB
 Viewed:  22951 Time(s)

Image9.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do not understand these memory addresses.

Are you using the release 250? It has several fixes compared to the revision I had when I've posted this topic. At least, it was more stable. But, if you PM me the voxel file, I'll try to reproduce your problem here and it will be easier to figure out what's going on.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Are you using the release 250?

I'm not sure, in the properties it says "File version 1.3.9.103" and "Product version 1.4.0.0"

I downloaded whatever you have up top here in your first post. I just downloaded it again to make sure and it has the same version numbers. Unless your talking about something else. Anyway the voxel im using here is just a recolor of the RA2 TRS.vxl but I'll send it anyway.

[edit] I think I found the problem, once you have already made a diffuse texture, and try to make it again, thats when it throws the error. So the way it's setup at the moment, in order to remake a new Diffuse Texture I need to delete the existing one first. However I know you said it still has some issues but the Generate Diffuse Texture wacks everything up. like this.

pic= before defuse
pic2= after diffuse

Also I dont know if it's already on your list of things, but it would be nice to have an undo button in the 3D Modeler.

Before.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.76 KB
 Viewed:  22927 Time(s)

Before.png

After.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.96 KB
 Viewed:  22926 Time(s)

After.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's some points:

1) You don't need to generate the diffuse texture once you have generated one #Tongue. I'll probably add a code to prevent users from doing it.

2) The results are not perfect and I'm aware of it.

Quote:
But don't hold any high expectations from it yet. I'm have a shitload of bugs to fix on it and the results are not satisfactory yet, although they do make a bit of sense, if you know what I mean.

There is something distorting the colours, as you show in your picture, but I still can't understand why certain faces do have weird colours on it, although the effect looks cool #Tongue.

3) Undo feature is really a good idea. I know it, but it is not a priority. Bear in mind that I've generated these features for my final graduation project (which I've defended last friday) and the texture will be for master #Tongue.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys,

I've fixed several issues with this texture generation feature and I'm getting close to acceptable results. My only problems are the borders of each partition of the model, which is distorting the final model. And, for some, my triangle filler algorithm is not as smooth as I wished.

Here's how it is looking like, in a demo truck:

(Warning: 2.37mb picture)

The attachment shows up the texture file that it has generated for this mesh.

trucka_texture.jpg
 Description:
The way it generates texture has improved a lot.
 Filesize:  93.57 KB
 Viewed:  22827 Time(s)

trucka_texture.jpg

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

are these updates available? I already have the download above, just dont want to download it again for no reason if they werent added to it yet.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The latest SVN build generates a fully working texture that works well for single sectioned models. The attached picture shows a model from SaneDisruption properly textured.

Note that OBJs are still not being exported with textures yet. I have to finish the multi-section support in a single texture file before I finish the OBJ with MTL export code.

Warhammer_001.jpg
 Description:
This unit is using textures instead of color materials.
 Filesize:  117.36 KB
 Viewed:  22661 Time(s)

Warhammer_001.jpg

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy shit.

1.Sane's work is freaking awesome.
2.This thing looks interesting.I might try it.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In order to try it:

1) Load your voxel.
2) Make sure you are using the correct palette.
3) Go to Tools -> 3D Modelizer
4) The modelizer window will show up. There is a special button near the rotation buttons that has a huge set of options. Click it.
5) Go to Normal Effects -> ReNormalize Mesh
6) Then, in the same button, go to Texture Effects -> Generate Diffuse Texture.

Feel free to play with the other options... there are a lot of random interesting stuff there.

Tacyarts
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm sorry if this is off topic but I just updated to the latest VXLE III and I have run into a problem.

According to the properties of the .exe file, the version I was using previously was 1.3.6.0 and the new version I downloaded is now 1.3.9.250.

My problem is I can no longer see what I'm working on in the 3D view or the OpenGL 3D preview.

All I see is a black silhouette. The silhouette rotates as normal but there is no colour in either window.

I've tried creating a new unit as well as loading other units extracted from RA2 and TS with the same results.

I'm using on a fairly old PC with Intel 2Ghz CPU, 1Gb Ram, ATi Radeon 9550 Video Card, Video Drivers Ver 6.14.10.6546, XP Home SP 3.0.

I'm wondering if the problem is the video drivers being out of date or if the video card itself lacks something needed to run the latest version of VLXE ?

As I'm just learning how to use VXLE it would be nice to learn on the latest version but if not I could go back to the previous version.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tac.

PS.

I found a site ( http://www.myogl.org/?target=database&page=1&sortby=7&fromtop=0 ) that tested my OpenGL the results are as follows.

Java: version: 11.3-b02 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM, Sun Microsystems Inc.
OpenGL version: 2.0.5079 WinXP Release
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Renderer: RADEON 9550 x86/SSE2
Shading language: 1.10

There was also 2 pages of "OpenGL extensions:" and "Max values:"

I'm not sure if the above information is of any help but I figured the more info the better the chance of finding a fix.

Tac.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yea, it sounds like you may need to update your drivers.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Your driver was created in 2005. It is highly recommended to update it.

Tacyarts
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I updated the drivers only to a later version but that didn't help so I downloaded something direct from AMD called "Catalyst Control Centre". It has the latest drivers and a fairly complex control system for changing just about everything to do with the video card and although its slowed my pc slightly it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for the help Smile

Tac.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm glad that it works. I don't know why old ATI drivers doesn't work. Perhaps it might be due to a random extension I'm using. There is one to turn off v-sync and it doesn't seem to be an old one... anyway, new drivers for both ATI and nVidia cards do not have problems with it, as far as I could test it at home (now there are 2 ATI cards here).

Anyway, I've updated the program once again and now it generates a single texture for multi-sectioned models. Of course it reduces the quality of the model a bit, but it will be more compatible with more games and it won't be such a hassle for your video card.

My next objective is to finish the OBJ with MTL export code.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, guys. The current revision is exporting .OBJ with textures. The only problem is to test it in other programs.

- Truespace (with luuv) loaded it correctly.
- GMAX loaded it correctly (except for the inverted axis).
- Blender did not load the textures here and I don't know why not. I've even tried using an additional plugin for it, but it has failed as well.

Warning: .OBJ file format does not store bounding boxes and hierarchy information, so if you export multi-sections, these sections might be placed wrongly.

nighthawk_on_truespace.png
 Description:
This is a sample of a multi-sectioned voxel exported as OBJ. OBJ does not hold bounding boxes or hierarchy data, which is why the propeller is in the wrong position
 Filesize:  116.75 KB
 Viewed:  22545 Time(s)

nighthawk_on_truespace.png

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Works with 3dsMax 2010, but only on the setting shown in pic-1. It also imports the texture at opacity=0 so you'll need to change the opacity setting via Material Editor.

pic-2 shows what it looks like in 3dsMax 2010, though a little to smooth for my liking, I guess it will do for now. Keep up the great work Banshee! This is becoming one hell of a tool.

Image1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.77 KB
 Viewed:  22533 Time(s)

Image1.png

3dsMax 2010.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  50.84 KB
 Viewed:  22533 Time(s)

3dsMax 2010.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmmm... Opacity = 0? I guess it is the Ns or some random setting in the material. Could you open the .mtl file that it generated and change the values of Ns to 4.0? Then, import it again in 3dsmax and check if the opacity is correct...

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Na, I changed the Ns value to 4.0 and no change. Still imports texture as opacity=0. I'm including a pic to show what it's doing.

V3 .png
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.13 KB
 Viewed:  22511 Time(s)

V3 .png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, try adding the following line at each material:

Code:
Ni 1.0

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you mean by how I have the settings here, it didnt work either.

Image11.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.01 KB
 Viewed:  22505 Time(s)

Image11.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

Can you import it, setup the opacity correctly and re-export it as .obj and post the .mtl file here?

@Edit: And then, you import what you just exported and check if the opacity is working. (I need to know if it is a problem from the obj that VXLSE III is exporting or if it is a typical behaviour from 3dsmax)

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These are the settings needed to properly import the textures into 3dsMax. I did what you said, I exported the model as .obj then copied the settings from the .mtl file and pasted it into the .mtl file from vxlIII and worked excellent.

Image12.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.48 KB
 Viewed:  22492 Time(s)

Image12.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. I believe my problem was the Tr, which I set to 1.

Anyway, I've committed another revision that should no longer generate fully transparent materials.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I also tried it with MilkShape 3D, It imports wavefront .obj , However with this program it did not load any textures.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Maybe these programs use map_Ka instead of map_Kd, which is why 3dsmax includes ambient map (map_Ka) when it exports .obj.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, MilkShape 3d uses the same settings as 3dsMax, problem was settings were on shaded instaed of Texture as shown in pic. I'm showing these pic's so people who use these progs will no what to look for incase of problems like I had.

Maybe you can try using these settings in Blender as well Banshee. I dont have Blender installed right now so I cant test it for you.

Image13.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  70.1 KB
 Viewed:  22442 Time(s)

Image13.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still unable to see the textures on Blender.

DaFool
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know gmax doesn't load up dds, but they will load up a tga of the same name, while ingame the reverse is in effect.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3dsMax settings work for Blender also, The same situation applies to Blender as it did with MilkShape3d. You need to choose the Textured option for it to appear. So it seems that all 3d progs are gonna use these same same settings as far as I can see Banshee.

Image13.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  144.16 KB
 Viewed:  22421 Time(s)

Image13.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much. I've searched for that option everywhere, except at the obvious place Laughing.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

in an earlier post you said there was problems with exporting/importing multi section vxl with it misplacing parts. I tried this with my cobra which has a body,cylinder09,and cylinder18. It seems they were exported/imported properly. Unless this is a bug you fixed already it seems to work ok with 3dsmax.

cobra.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.29 KB
 Viewed:  22368 Time(s)

cobra.png

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What I said is that it doesn't export bounding box positions, neither HVA information. Try the Nighthawk and you'll see what I mean.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see what your saying, the shad propellers were outta place, but I'm wondering why did my cobra export/import correctly and it's set up the same way as the shad, 1 body, and 2 propellers? What would make them different?

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [37 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum