Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm
All times are UTC + 0
EVA-251's feedback
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject:  EVA-251's feedback Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, first of all, congrats on the release. It's been well worth the wait, and the amount of effort all members of the TI team put into this release shows strongly.

My overall time playing the mod is limited, due to some frustrating issues, but this is what I have to say.

Pluses
Map Design: The map design on the single player maps is absolutely stellar. TI's terrain set allows for a mind-boggling amount of detail to be placed within the limitations of the TS engine. Though I think you guys should cut down the number of crashed A-10s, especially in the campaign. You'd think the entire GDI Airforce once passed by and bombed the area. #Tongue

Graphics: SHPs and voxels look great. Lots of detail, and all fit a general scheme, with only a few issues, mostly related to the absolutely ridiculous/deceiving scale of some of the TD units. (I was shocked by the Medium Tank's appearance, being so large and powerful looking, to find it was basically a cardboard armored POS, even against the other TD units)

Balance: While TS's balance system is far from my cup of tea, TI doesn't seem to have many glaring balance issues. I'd love to, and want to give more feedback on this aspect of the mod, but all I have is an impression of single-player unit balance, which isn't exactly reflective of the in-game. I'd like to test the mod online, but neither my router nor my university's dorm internet have cooperated with TS online.

Storyline: The whole premise of Nod winning is kinda cheesy- so GDI is gone, so that means that nations like the United States and Russia have no interest in stopping a dangerous and rapidly growing terrorist organization hellbent on destroying everything in the name of some bald psychopath?
Getting past that though, the story was pretty good and intriguing. The campaigns left me wanting to know more from and about both sides.

Annoyances
FOREST F***ING FIRES: This really hurt parts of the Single Player campaign. Here I am, using small units of infantry on the heavily wooded single-player maps, and the enemy sends a Grenadier or Incinerator over. My guys take care of him, but he gets off an attack or his death explosion occurs. The forested area I was in turns into a giant conflagration that burns for several minutes and stops me from moving my infantry safely, forcing me to basically watch the fires grow and spread until they die out, or tediously destroy each tree.
Admittedly, the use of forest fires in Nod mission Burn Baby Burn were actually pretty fun, taking out those formidable defensive positions by means of fires spreading to the classic "conveniently placed volatile explosives".
I understand that forest fires CAN be an interesting gameplay element, but with the jungles in the campaign and perhaps elsewhere (I haven't played many MP maps), they go from a visual spectacle to an advance-halting annoyance to a possible cause of rage-quit.

Debris
Debris makes a very cool visual effect for destroyed buildings, but seriously- not everything when shot at blows up into a 35,000 pieces of flammable debris capable of causing massive forest fires. Most buildings will probably collapse in on themselves, not explode in lethal fireballs.

Animation Translucency
I say what I do about TI looking past this critical and massive annoyance. It was actually the first thing I experienced in this mod.

I start the GDI campaign, I'm given battlefield control and look down only to have my framerate drop to about 5 or 6 at best, due to a crater rapidly spawning an unending stream of translucent smoke particles. Needless to say, I had visual effects on Low by the end of the second mission, as parts of the game became literally unplayable.

However, even on low detail, the debris from destroyed buildings causes massive frame-drops -- 10-15 pieces of debris spray out with closely packed translucent smoke trailer animations.

Fix that and it's an instant winner in my books.
All in all, despite the few minor flaws and the obvious placeholders, you guys have a solid release. I'll be getting the next version for sure. Good job.

Last edited by EVA-251 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
FOREST F***ING FIRES:

The damage that fire inflicts on Infantry will be decreased in the first patch.

Quote:
Debris

I find it really unusual how certain people have problems with the debris issue causing slow-downs and other issues when neither I or any of the other staff members get them (at least, that I know of). I'll talk to LKO about the debris and see about maybe decreasing the amount of debris caused by destroyed structures.

Quote:

Animation Translucency

This is another thing I'm confused about. The only animations that use Translucency in TI are the smoke particles due-to trailers looking ugly without the Translucency tag, but maybe it would be better keeping Translucency off of all animations (except the rare one that need the tag to look good). I personally don't get any lag at all from Translucency=yes, but I have noticed some slow-downs in the campaign due-to the smoke flare triggers, I'll have a look at them.

Thanks for the good and well-written feedback, EVA. Hopefully I'll hear more from you.

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Aro, I'm curious how people don't encounter the issue, actually #Tongue

I've played Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2 on:
a Win98 machine with a Pentium II 266mhz and 128 MB of RAM (at most...)
a WinXP machine with less than a 2.4 ghz processor and ~512MB of RAM
a WinXP machine with two 3.0ghz Pentium Ds and 2 gigs of RAM
a Vista laptop with dual core 2.4Ghz and 4 gigs
a Win7 laptop with the same stats

All of them slowed down when the Translucent=yes animations started showing up. It's almost a second nature for me to look away at a clean section of the map when I destroy buildings in unmodded RA2 or TS.

Fortunately, I think this problem could be resolved with use of the TranslucencyDetailLevel= tag.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum