Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:20 am
All times are UTC + 0
LAN bug?
Moderators: Aro, Crimsonum, ErastusMercy, Lin Kuei Ominae, ^Rampastein
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Ferrados
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject:  LAN bug? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ive been playing LAN with my brother lately and it is just awesome.
However something strange has happened.
I was going to test something so I started up a quick game on the very first map. But I forgot to turn down the number of AI's, I am now fighting 4 AI's on the smallest map which is IIRC is a 2 player map. this happened to me on other maps as well but I did not know what caused it at the time. Is this a feature or a bug?
Not that I'm complaining, it's a hell of a lot of fun to try and survive such a small and especially chaotic battlefield! Razz

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've seen this happen before. Me and Crimsonum were playing online via Hamachi (Or CNCNet, can't remember which one it was), we were testing our staff Crate Frenzy map which was originally 4 players, after we started the game, there were 6 AI's in the map rather than 2 when the map only has 4 player positions (Including me and Crimsonum) and the AI Enemy number was only set to 2 (I know this for a fact). I have absolutely no idea why this happens, but it's the strangest bug I have ever encountered, and believe me, I've seen a lot of weird issues. I'm still looking into it.

You mentioned you were "going to test something", what exactly were you doing?

Great that you're enjoying TI by the way, catch me some time and I'll have a game with you.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TS has no check for players vs map spots? That's kinda... strange.

Steam

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TS doesn't check player numbers against the map's starting locations in LAN. It does check it in Skirmish and Online/XWIS though. I've thought everyone has known this for the past 3 years.

I personally think this is awesome, letting me play 4 player maps with 8 players. It's like in RA1, which doesn't check it even in skirmish. There isn't anything to "fix".

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And what happens if only 2 waypoints are defined in the map? Would then several players start at the same location?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

GameMaster0000
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One map is this mod have this problem. I can't remember which map but it is 2 players map, it is miss waypoint 1.

Result is one player(Human or AI) will start randomly somewhere in map.

Tiberian Sun : True Power - Reality Power Of 5 Factions...

Ferrados
Medic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was going to check if going to desktop during an online/LAN game would cause disconnects. I wouldn't recommend it by the way.
A game with you (or anyone else) sometime would be nice. how/where would I catch you?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
TS doesn't check player numbers against the map's starting locations in LAN. It does check it in Skirmish and Online/XWIS though. I've thought everyone has known this for the past 3 years.

Well yeah, that was the assumption considering I've never seen this happen in Skirmish or XWIS, but it's still really unusual.

Quote:
And what happens if only 2 waypoints are defined in the map? Would then several players start at the same location?

No, they end up scattered all around the map. On the map I was playing with Crimsonum there were only 4 waypoints on the entire map, and those were 0, 1, 2 and 3, the additional AI players spawned on random places on the map.

Quote:
A game with you (or anyone else) sometime would be nice. how/where would I catch you?

MSN: The-Black-Pentagram@Hotmail.Com

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea, the game has code to randomly select a area of the map that is flat, and then centers the point in that, i think it has to be like 5x5 cells.

Ordosherrscher
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had once the problem, that I placed 6 start locations, but it were like 0,1,2,3,6,7 or like this -> two players started randomly somewhere, and since it was a visc map, it was an instant death^^

Think of me as Nordos, 'cause Banshee wouldn't rename me

Last edited by Ordosherrscher on Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

iamn00b
Jumpjet Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

GameMaster0000 wrote:
One map is this mod have this problem. I can't remember which map but it is 2 players map, it is miss waypoint 1.

similiar.. oh yes it is Primal heaven map!

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be Dudeinabox's lazy mapping. #Tongue

Dudeinabox
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

iamn00b wrote:
GameMaster0000 wrote:

similiar.. oh yes it is Primal heaven map!

Yeah this happened to me on that map, ztype why do my maps always have problems? Very Happy

EDIT: @Aro: FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Crimmy: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CCHyper wrote:
Yea, the game has code to randomly select a area of the map that is flat, and then centers the point in that, i think it has to be like 5x5 cells.

I assume leftovers from RA1, as there it would also choose random locations (at least, for custom maps).

Dudeinabox
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fixed, the two starting points were 0 and 2 rather than 1...I assumed in the absence of waypoint 1 it would jump to 2.

Posted in the staff forum Aro to be added to multi.mix with some adjustments to both final and primal haven

Crimmy: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum