Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 am
All times are UTC + 0
CCM competition!
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject:  CCM competition! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I decided to test all Colour Conversion Methods (CCM) from BS SHP Builder in a hard match against Paint Shop Pro using the military satelite photo of "ground zero" (World trade center, NY). The picture is 1687x1687, which means that it's over 3 million pixels to be converted.

The first CCM used was 3D RGB Infurium. Since it uses no cache (I've recently removed that due to neighborhood checking), it took more than one minute to convert all pixels (full difference used to take much more when it had no cache and it infurium is much more complex than full difference). The quality is pretty good. The water in the top is nearly perfect to what the palette accepts... although the water is blue in the conversion, while the original is green. The other sections has a very low loss of quality, except for the docks, where all CCMs and PSP failed O.o.

Then, Colour+ had a much faster conversion...less than 15 seconds, but the program still takes a long time to load the thing (used to take more). The quality has dropped a bit compared to Infurium, specially in the water...some undesirable brown started to appear (water is polutted Laughing). Other sections become nearly equal to Infurium.

Full Difference was really the surprise. Conversion was about 10 seconds and the quality of the water was excelent (lightly better than Infurium). The other sections appears to be equal to Infurium....

The next tested was Advanced Difference... this was clearly a deception.. results were terrible... water was too dirty and it lost quality in other sections, including the docks...The conversion was a bit slower than Full Difference, although the cache helped a lot.

The last one from BS SHP Builder was R+G+B Difference and it was even worse than Advanced Difference. (Funny that this was the winner at Stucuk's tests... here it was the worse CCM #Tongue). But the conversion was the fastest one. Both northern water and docks were highly poluted.

And finally, I tested the PSP one... really fast,... about 10 seconds and the quality has beaten Infurium at the water, but it was beaten near the docks, both for minimum difference... The surprise was Full Difference, as I said... It has tied with PSP. Even on speed O.o. I believe the algorithm of both is pretty the same... because it's not the fast time that it ties with PSP.

However, BS SHP Builder deceptioned me when exporting jpg files... each of them was about 2.54 or 2.62mb, so I'm not posting here... if anyone is interested in the results, contact me in MSN...

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"Funny that this was the winner at Stucuk's tests... here it was the worse CCM"

The preformance depends on the image. And the jpg's are exported from BS SHP Builder with 100% quality, meaning it shouldn't loose too much quality when exported.

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As a furure feature you could add an option to change the compression percentage for JPEGs in preferences.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum