Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:01 am
All times are UTC + 0
BS SHP Builder MDI: Current Progress
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject:  BS SHP Builder MDI: Current Progress Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've once promised that when I had the engine working, I'd post a screenshots of two files opened at the same time and 2 preview windows... Well, it's not finished, but it already works very well... I just need to do minor details, but the problems I was having recently with the preview window are gone... Here's a snip:

MultiPreview.jpg
 Description:
For those who wanna make everything at the same time ;).
 Filesize:  110.26 KB
 Viewed:  6032 Time(s)

MultiPreview.jpg

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very good
this will be particularly useful for referencing between SHP's Smile

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! Cool

You're going to remove the frame and zoom controls from that left side bar, right?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee (logged out)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course... I will probably post a poll about a replacement for it, soon...

(Note: Logged out because the DNS returned to point to the old server, so I can't log in due to the domain settings of this board)

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to confirm that I was the one who posted as "Banshee (logged out)", because of DNS problems with the site (it suddenly returns for the old server for few minutes and then it self-fix... weird).

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

as stated b4, whats th epoint of multipil zoom controls? why not just one zoom control at the left, the "children" windows having just the drawing area, everythign else just uses the normal stuff the program has always used. It would save alot of memory, and CPU(rendering all the different zoom controls,etc) and it would save space(on ur screen).

It shouldn't b hard(the word childsplay comes to mind) to make it use one zoom control and one frame control. + one statusbar (which u can't fully see on them small windows, note u can't see what the width value is and other, things, the status bar is important for determining if shadows are on or off, etc, it has to b FULLY visible or the bar is pointless)

Other reasons for one zoom, frame, statusbar etc:

Simpler on user, its easyer to remember the location of a fixed control rather than one tied to a window that could b placed in any location. (The simpler the interface the easyer to learn, User Friendly Interface)

Its smarter, program looks more clean if the duplicates are removed.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

meh... I think it's good to be able to consult which frame each window is without need to switch between them all the time just to know it (which would use more processing afterall #Tongue). I personally prefer this way and honestly... few more spin edits doesnt kill anyone O.o...

Mods, Mods Support, Public Researchs, Map Archives, Tutorials, A Friendly Community and much more. Check it out now!

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The multipul spin stuff, uses more memory and ram. It stores more data in the pc and takes mroe processor time to rander (I thought the idea was to make it uses as low amounts of memory and ram, which was the whole basis for u doing this since 2 BS SHP Builders, would use more ram/cpu supposidly).

Take a look at PSP, adobe , etc. They all use one control "panel" for each thing, and the windows are just edit areas.

You have much more drawing space in a window that has no controls in it, it doesn't take as much memory due to it not needing to store all of the components data in ram, its look etc, less processing time due to it not needing to execute the controls procedures and functions to draw it, etc.

One of the most important things in programming is the user interface, the idea being to keep it as SIMPLE as posible, this way users can easily learn it, multipule things that arn't needed just make the program look complex and not simple.

I can't see any benefits of the current way.

P.S the status bar HAS(note this word) to use the original bar at the bottom. This is a must, unless u are trying to remove an important feature. (this bar must b FULLY(not partly like in ur pics) visible for the user to b able to use it)

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee, maybe you could make two versions, one that is the way that stucuk and I suggest and the other the way you have it, which you would keep for your own use.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stucuk wrote:
Take a look at PSP, adobe , etc. They all use one control "panel" for each thing, and the windows are just edit areas.

- This is why I hate editing .gif files with multiples pictures in PSP. Although the Zoom could be in the left toolbar and we could add in the frame caption the zoom factor before the name of the file like PSP does.

Another important reason to keep the frame in the editing window is that I'll soon add support to open the same file in different windows, so it will be easier to use copy and paste stuff and use other frames as reference when painting...

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You do have a point about displaying the frame numbers.

Could you change everything to the way that stucuk and I suggest, except have a statusbar for each window that says the current and total number of frames? And maybe have an option to turn the statusbar on each window off?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Statusbar is already overloaded... look at the screenie...

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I didn't make myself clear.

I mean move the stuff that is in each window's statusbar to the program's statusbar and put the frame info in each window's statusbar.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, I won't do that. I have a better way to solve this... dont worry.... you will like it...

Kravvitz
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I eagerly await the unveiling of your solution. Smile

stucuk
Geek

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doing the Stucuk way would mean each Files info is stored(including the statusbar info as well as frame and zoom), this means frame number, etc is stored in the program, so copying and pasting wouldn't b any different. Kravvitz's idea about having the windows status bars having the current frame numebr is a nice one.

There is nothing bad with these suggestions, they would make the program better.

Note: this is a prefect example of why it should of been a v4.0 thing, with a compleate remake of the program, fully planed. There would b alot less problems along the way.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zoom and frame would still be recorded somewhere in the window, NEVER in the SHP file.

My idea is simple: the frame number and zoom factor in the left toolbar will be where the user modifies the zoom and frame of the selected window. The window name would be something like [ZoomFactor : 1] shpfilename.shp (CurrentFrame/TotalFrames)

I.e. (tanya window above would be):

[2:1] tany.shp (25/1238)

The status bar would be default on the botton of the program (it would be removed from the editing window as well).

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum