Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Star Strike is 6 Years Old!
Moderators: EVA-251
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject:  Star Strike is 6 Years Old!
Subject description: That time of year again!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

is 6 Years Old!

As is tradition, the obligatory birthday update of Star Strike is here! A lot of things have been going on with Star Strike in the last year- while far from the most productive year, this one perhaps will have the most to show for, as you'll see shortly.  Yeah, imagine that, pictures instead of uh...well, WALLS OF ZTYPING TEXT.

Without further ado...
Enhanced Voxels
I finally sat down and learned some of the complexities of manual normals painting in the past month or so. These are some of the byproducts- I didn't aim to repaint them entirely, but to get rid of the things AutoNormals failed at- IE stair-step effect.

Click the images to see what they looked like beforehand.
Invader Proton Tank

EDF Humvee

Invader Bomb Drone

EDF Gun Turret

SSIA Mobile Rocket Artillery

New and Old Faces
Many unit have seen more extension revision though! Do note that many of the unit profiles use OUT OF DATE imagery.
Hint: Many of these images are also links, showing older versions, model/ingame shots

Sentry Drone

One thing always bothered me about the sentry drone; at its size, the concept that I had never really panned out, and it just ended up looking too tall. Now he's a little shorter.

Juggernaut Tank

One of Star Strike's oldest voxels, its story has been one of constant, constant improvement. The original is available on YRArg, as for some ungodly reason, I actually released it in 05-06.

Omega Laser Turret

Nearly as old as the Juggernaut with only an eighth the number of revisions, this thing only recently got a major touchup to make it look better. Note it still needs a new base.

B-90 Bomber

Replaces the Delta Force's B-52 Bomber. Big and mean, but elegant at the same time. Sorry guys, no fancy name for it- though when I refer to it, I like to call it "that big mean thing that blows up your base Sad"

Warrior Transport

Replaces the recolored Chinook. This absolute MONSTER mounts a 30mm vulcan cannon in its chin turret and can spew death in a countless number of flavors owing to its firing ports. Note the size of it compared to the "mighty" Gunship.

Doomsday

This fabulous voxel by Damned Machine/Tony looked pretty good, but was missing something: color. Now it kicks your (enemy's) ass while looking (more) awesome at the same time. No ingames sadly.

Other Graphics Updates
Tired of the same old nukes? Thanks to AreaSz, you won't be anymore. Comes in 3 flavors:
Tsar Bomba

Castle Bravo

Note the new disintegration death animation.

Fatman

Note: Tsar Bomb, Castle Bravo appear pixelated (and are), but this effect is nowhere near as prevalent or noticeable ingame.

In Progress
Development of some new toys for each side is underway, as well. Here are some previews.

???

Mysterious, isn't it? This vehicle is both very special and rare; it's also "very" in a huge number of other categories too. Expect a complete list when the unit profile/unit itself are done.

Invader Plague Tank

When the Invader's manage to sneak a Spy Drone into an EDF Advanced Tech Center, they get this. Right now, it's only a chassis, but when finished, it's going to be something rather deadly...like the plague.

Conclusion
Hey that was pretty fun. Should do this more often. Please leave comments and feedback, I'm always willing to read what you have to say about the work being done!

Also, I'm looking for beta-testers. Just send me a PM if you're interested. Try to include:
  • Modding experience (INI, SHP, Voxel, etc)
  • Testing experience
  • Timezone
  • How often are you online-battle capable
  • Willing to do tests related to Ares logic (see below)
  • Why

Ares
Ares is in need of your assistance. See this thread for ways on how you can help the best hope for YR's modding future today!

Last edited by EVA-251 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice! I really like that Invader- Doomsday Razz

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My greatest complain goes to the nuke graphics. They look like a good change compared to the stock RA2 nuke, but they seem awfully stretched.

Yurisarmy
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I freaking LOVE that Doomsday tank.

Now on ModDB!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account AIM Address
Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

omg pixel nuke #Tongue

Other wise...I'm quite liking the turret and the Omega laser.

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The big nukes don't look so good and the gun turrets have black dots. Otherwise, things are getting better Smile

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

EVA-251 wrote:
Note: Tsar Bomb, Castle Bravo appear pixelated (and are), but this effect is nowhere near as prevalent or noticeable ingame.
I'll be honest, showcasing the nukes would have probably been better done in a video, as when they're animating, the pixelation isn't nearly as jarring. Too bad I can't seem to find a good recorder for YR.

As for the dots on the turret, they're being worked on. That voxel is being particularly tricky in regards to stamping out the dots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon