Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Crashes too often !!!
Moderators: Reaperrr, red_rebel
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
ooo111
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 am    Post subject:  Crashes too often !!!
Subject description: [Bug]
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have tried to played 7 skirmish games (3 Lan games with my brother)

Classic mode: 3 classic mode + (2 lan games)
Reaperrr's Rules: the rest

and I only managed to finish 2 skirmish games (both finished at around 1hour and 15 min mark)

and all the rest were result in crashes
(I could not even finish a whole game with my bro)

Sigh

It's even more frustrating that .. the error message is useless... There is no way i could help to improve this situation by reporting bugs or any sort...

I only know that

it can happen at the beginning of the game right after you finished building the power plant, or when you are attacking the AI base like hell in the end, or just when you are been attacked, or when you are trying to move your unit out of your base.

so .. that's the most i can help

Hopefully, 2.9 can fix this problem.

I like this mod very much but a good mod can be ruined by glitches and bugs as we all know.

Thanks very much for your effort =)

I just want to rise up this issue so hopefully it can be detected before 2.9...

or is it even possible to create some sort of error message like "EDAB3859" <- blah blah blah in 2.9 and when the bug appears .. everyone can help you finding out the problem...

Regards,

ooo111

Dec. 6, 2010

Reaperrr
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There should be a file called except.txt in your ROTD folder containing an error description, if you upload it here we may have a look.

However, I played normal unmodified TS against someone a while ago and had similar problems, so it might be the game engine acting up.

ooo111
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: One sample Expect Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hmm,

I got this "invalid memory access" problem before and tried to use Sandboxie to solve it but, as the attached file indicated, the problem still not fixed.

I will update a few more after getting some new ones (not running under Sandboxie) just for comparison

Regards,

ooo111

==================================

p.s Sandboxie is a program that you can run your exe with a special allocated memory. Originally, I thought that since it is a memory access error, maybe it can be solved by setting up the memory for it.

Well... too bad @_@

===================================

except1.txt
 Description:
Received the same error type after running under Sandboxie

Download
 Filename:  except1.txt
 Filesize:  20.75 KB
 Downloaded:  173 Time(s)

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not actually a "memory access error". As the top of the except.txt says, it's "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.".

Basically, it's just some error inside the game that caused it to get a wrong value for (typically) the location of where something is stored in memory, and then it tried to access or write something in that data. Since an error corrupted the value, it became an address outside the range defined for the program's memory, meaning the operating system prevents it from reading or writing there, and that makes it crash.

The key value in the error message is "Exception occurred at 0046C7E2", since that points directly to the instructions inside the exe file which made the program crash. Mind you, it's not because it crashed there that those instructions are at fault... usually, the data gets corrupted by some completely different function which was ran just before it, and it just crashes on that point because that's the first time the game accesses the data after it got corrupted. Still, it gives some point of reference to those who studied the internal workings of the game, and gives some clue to what could have gone wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon