Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:35 am
All times are UTC + 0
Things to take note about Orca Transport?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [35 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
felastine
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject:  Things to take note about Orca Transport? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi

Simply making Orca Transport buildable can be problematic. I observe that the transport sometimes hovers in the air, having its target line insanely changing to different positions.

I first made a copy of the transport so I won't mess up the original one. I've then tried adding a Airdummy weapon to the transport. I've tried tweaking Category= (doesn't make sense, eh?).

So what are some notes to take about making a workable Orca Transport? Is there a working code lying around in these forums?

Thanks.
Felastine.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Add CarryAll=yes

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's some working code, and there's some Orca Transport code. And they're pretty different things in many respects.

felastine
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CarryAll=yes tag. And this will enable the orca transport to airlift vehicles as well?

So in other words, a workable orca transport has the same code as the carryall, except that it also has capacity for some more passengers?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orca Transports are far from working in Tiberian Sun, there are a whole host of bugs with them which leave them fairly unusable.

felastine
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But I've seen them in mods, like Tiberian Sun Retro and some others did use the orca transport.

Some problems with them as well?

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They use CarryAll=yes tag or a modded TS game engine from before the Orca Transport bug was around.

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Destiny
President

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm very sure unpatched TS had working Orca Transports without all the problems after patching. Very, very sure because it is fresh in my memory.

But to find an unpatched TS nowadays would be hard.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why is it hard? Let me guess TFD came with bugged TS on it?

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I'm very sure unpatched TS had working Orca Transports without all the problems after patching. Very, very sure because it is fresh in my memory.

It did; The transports worked in one of the previous versions of TS (Can't recall which one).

Quote:

There was a thread at TiberiumWeb which listed, and IIRC, had a download link of every version of TS ever released.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Destiny wrote:

do you maybe know the version of that unpatched TS?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

felastine
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Lin, in your TI, you used the orca transport. You said they are able to pick up enemy units in a forum post manual, so from v2.0 onwards, what exactly happened to the logic about CarryAll= tag?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, first it's not my TI. I'm one person in a great team with Aro the leader and me the co-leader. Wink

Second, i fear i can't follow you. Can you point me to the topic where i said that?
I don't remember that i have said, that carryalls are able to pick up enemy units.

Third, afaik wasn't the CarryAll logic changed in any way during the update from 1.17 to 2.00. The aircraft logic was changed in general, which broke the air-transport, since it has no special logic key like "IsAirtransport=yes" and is using the basic transport logic that also vehicletypes use.

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure, but didn't the logic break as a side-effect of fixing another bug, where aircraft was able to land at water at the top edge of the map?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought that too, but afaik was this fix already done during the 1.13 to 1.17 update and not in the 2.00 update.

Public SHPs

Tools

felastine
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Second, i fear i can't follow you. Can you point me to the topic where i said that?
I don't remember that i have said, that carryalls are able to pick up enemy units.

Sorry. You didn't say it but I believe people in your team said it in this post:

http://ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28370

Aro wrote:
Orca Transport: This unit can carry up to 5 Infantry passengers anywhere on the battlefield.
Note: This unit is currently using the Carry-all workaround logic so it can also pick up enemy vehicles, I trust people not to abuse the issue in-game though.

And my question was unclear. Sorry about that. #Tongue

So the Orca Transport can be made to work using "the Carry-all workaround logic". I'd just like to know what's that? Confused

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, seems you found a mistake in the guide. Well of course it can't carry enemy vehicles, but since it's using the carryall logic to make the infantry transport work, it can carry player vehicles too.

We use the Carryall logic in TI, since this is the only way to have a working airtransport with as few as possible sideeffects. All other workarounds (*) still have a lot of sideeffects which would have made the airtransport unbalanced. Using the carryall logic, the only 2 sideeffects are, that it can transport a vehicle too and that it unloads one infantry after the other and each on a different cell.

(*)e.g. vehicletype with air/jumpjet locomotor
or aircraft transport with weapon

Public SHPs

Tools

felastine
Cyborg Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol. It'd be funny as hell if I can pick up enemy units. Very Happy

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm still an advocate for jumpjet vehicles

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If there would be a way to make the AI target them automatically, i would be definitely supporting them too. Especially with your railgun and/or superjoe's jellyfish workarounds.

Public SHPs

Tools

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Team Black wrote:
I'm still an advocate for jumpjet vehicles

By any chance because you came up with the idea? Rolling Eyes In my opinion, none of the workarounds are worth using with their current side-effects.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went for a combination of a vehicle which looks like a cargo/infantry carrier, acts like an APC and can't move, which combines well with the Carryall to form an transport of sorts. It's an interesting option, but probably only if you're giving GDI a more modular style in their units too.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^ you mean ZoidZilla's Multi Container System.

Yep, that is one of the best ideas to get around this problem by adding at the same time a great new gameplay feature. I would have loved to add this to TI, though ZoidZilla wants to keep it Tiberian Fall exclusive.

Public SHPs

Tools

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried to mess a little with the orca transport again. Didn't find anything really useful, but I managed to create a slightly altered version of the weapon + paradrop logic. Instead of dropping the infantry out, the transport lands to the location where you fired, and you can empty it as you would normally do. But it's still too buggy, have to force-fire the ground or attack a target, and if you don't force-fire / attack, the transport goes to the insane mode. You can reduce the weirdness a little by giving Dock= key every building GDI has, so it should always at least head back to base, not to your closest units.

I did find out something useful. If you give an aircraft SlowdownDistance=100, or up to 120, it will land really quickly instead of taking its sweet time positioning its ass correctly. With this key the Carryall logic should empty all 5 infantry out a bit faster. It might even be a good idea to give this value to all air units, it makes them more controllable.

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
^^ you mean ZoidZilla's Multi Container System.

Yep, that is one of the best ideas to get around this problem by adding at the same time a great new gameplay feature. I would have loved to add this to TI, though ZoidZilla wants to keep it Tiberian Fall exclusive.

Shame, I thought of this idea for a mod years ago and was going to add it to one of my mods, but somehow it's magically copyrighted by ZoidZilla, even though the idea is a clearly presented capability of the dropship anyway. Not to mention the US Army experimented with the idea using their Sikorsky Skycrane. Rolling Eyes

Exhibit One

Exhibit Two

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't think you can claim ownership over the game logic in any way. Because in the end, unless it involves private executable modifications, anyone can implement those features in one way or another once they know how. Only thing you can do in attempt to keep some of the mod features exclusive is not to tell others how you did it. In case someone else manages to figure it out on their own, you'll just have to deal with it.

Of course one can choose to not use same ideas as others already have out of sheer respect if the person who originally came up with wishes to keep it exclusive. I don't think anything is going to oblige people to do so, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uh protip: this could be done with the GDI APCs and a carryall in TS. quit being butthurt that somebody implimented it into a unit in their mod.

I'm so glad nobody thought of adding MCVs to their mods. Steal my ideas? ztype I thought this was a COMMUNITY!

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

but, nobody ever thought of MOVEMENT SPEED=0!!!!

What if we created a pod with a move speed? That changes everything!

I think that copyrighting code is a bit ridiculous, copyrighting image assets isn't.

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:
but, nobody ever thought of MOVEMENT SPEED=0!!!

If this works the same way in TS as it does in YR, then it doesn't. Basically the unit still tries to move but since it can't do so according to it's speed, it gets stuck to the moving state or something like that unable to perform any actions. Somebody else might know and be able to explain better, though.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, the Achilles heel of the whole pod idea.

There is a work around, but it only works on pre-placed units. If you restrict a unit's movement zone to railroad or some other terrain it will not be able to turn. This has uses for things like voxel container crates like the one's in TS:AE.

Setting ROT to 0 doesn't address this issue either, and when a vehicle with movespeed and ROT set to 0 is built from the war factory, it won't exit, forcing you to sell the WF. Once it is out, it will not turn when told to move or attack. However, once you pick it up with a carry-all, the bug occurs again.

And don't even get me started about the bugs and weird behaviors of the "pod" if you allow it to carry infantry.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A vehicle with ROT=0 will behave like an infantry when turning; in other words it'll instantly face the direction it intends to go in without actually turning to face that direction first.

View user's profile Send private message ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Once, it will only do it once, after you move it with a carryall.

If a vehicle being built from a warfactory has a speed of 0 and a ROT of 0, it will not exit the war factory. Once the war factory is sold, the unit will not be able to move nor will it rotate, however, it can be picked up by a carryall. Once you set it down again with a carryall, it will be able to turn ONCE. After it attempts to turn once, it will no longer be able to be turned until you pick it up again with the carryall.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regulus wrote:

There is a work around, but it only works on pre-placed units. If you restrict a unit's movement zone to railroad or some other terrain it will not be able to turn. This has uses for things like voxel container crates like the one's in TS:AE.

Wouldn't it be possible to make self-destructing invis buildings that have them as FreeUnit? They would just appear on the building side of the sidebar, but wouldn't that kinda make sense too if they can't move?

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
Regulus wrote:

Wouldn't it be possible to make self-destructing invis buildings that have them as FreeUnit? They would just appear on the building side of the sidebar, but wouldn't that kinda make sense too if they can't move?

Deleted idea....

C&C in RA-1 Get it here

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [35 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon