Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:17 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Possible Save Game Bug?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Slavack
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject:  Possible Save Game Bug? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all,

As you can see I'm new to the forums but i hope someone can help me...I have modded tiberian sun extensively (old school way, not TibEd/Sun2K) and every time i try to load a saved game my game freezes, i don't get an IE, it just frezzes up.. Now i have searched the forums both here and tiberianweb.com and i did manage to find this thread...

http://www.tiberiumweb.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27

-I did remove all animations after 707=invso and integrated them in the missing slots before 707, without moving the WW entries, but the problem still occures....i have the first decade, the original 2disk game (patched/and original) also the free software DL as well and it always the same result...

I doubt it my comp by anyway......

Manufacturer Gateway
Model DX4640-UB101A
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
Total available graphics memory 2047 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 256 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1791 MB

also i attached my rules.ini for inspection... many public reasourced used so if necessay i will credit all if needed Smile

EDIT* OS=vista... did run game as admin!

rules.ini
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  rules.ini
 Filesize:  260.58 KB
 Downloaded:  102 Time(s)

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just moved that tutorial to the general modding section of TibWeb

Although it worked for me at the time it does not seem to necessarily work for other people

Slavack
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SMIFFGIG wrote:
I've just moved that tutorial to the general modding section of TibWeb

Although it worked for me at the time it does not seem to necessarily work for other people

Is this a common situation when modding the game? I followed the tutorial topics to the T.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The savegame bug tutorials are really one of the few very old and outdated/wrong tutorials.

To avoid the savegame bug you have to keep the rules.ini Animations list in its original state and copy all animations from firestrm.ini into rules.ini and add them to the end of the rules.ini animations list after 707=INVISO.
After these you can then add your new animations.

However since you just started modding, i would strongly advise you to install the UMP first. This doesn't only fixes many bugs of vanilla TS, but also moves all stuff from the firestorm inis into the TS inis, which completely prevents any further savegame bugs caused by a wrong animations list and also makes further modding a lot easier and less error-prone.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Slavack
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank You both so much.... Smile

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LKO, I hope you don't mind, but I've placed your words about the savegame bug at the PPM FAQ, under Red Alert 2/Tiberian Sun Modding Questions.

Slavack
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
The savegame bug tutorials are really one of the few very old and outdated/wrong tutorials.

To avoid the savegame bug you have to keep the rules.ini Animations list in its original state and copy all animations from firestrm.ini into rules.ini and add them to the end of the rules.ini animations list after 707=INVISO.
After these you can then add your new animations.

However since you just started modding, i would strongly advise you to install the UMP first. This doesn't only fixes many bugs of vanilla TS, but also moves all stuff from the firestorm inis into the TS inis, which completely prevents any further savegame bugs caused by a wrong animations list and also makes further modding a lot easier and less error-prone.

Well.. i preformed a fresh install, DL and used the UMP assets, carefully transfered my art/rules/sound within the new ini's and it still occured...could this be directly due to my new entrys? ... everythig preforms perfectly in skirmish? could i be missing something small/stupid?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
LKO, I hope you don't mind [..]

Of course not. Though i think the old tutorial removed and replaced by a new tutorial that goes more in detail than my quick answer might better.
I'm not sure if my words were that clearly understandable and wise chosen to be used as a FAQ answer.

Slavack wrote:
[..] it still occured...could this be directly due to my new entrys? ... everythig preforms perfectly in skirmish? could i be missing something small/stupid?

Are you sure you haven't touched firestrm.ini and artfs.ini from UMP? With UMP you only have to edit rules.ini and art.ini.

What exactly have you done? Can you post a code snippet of your changes?
There are definitely more ways to cause the savegame bug, though the wrong animations list is certainly the most common problem.

Public SHPs

Tools

Slavack
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you sure you haven't touched firestrm.ini and artfs.ini from UMP? With UMP you only have to edit rules.ini and art.ini.

What exactly have you done? Can you post a code snippet of your changes?
There are definitely more ways to cause the savegame bug, though the wrong animations list is certainly the most common problem.[/quote]

-Fresh Install-
-Unzipped the contents UMP into the Sun Directory
-Took all mod entries form my old art/rules and transfered it to new (UMP) art/rules
-Made new Ecache mix's with my units/buildings/animatios/cameos

***given the fact that my mix files have MANY public files that i have made adj too i will not post without consent*** However LKO, most are yours, so i can send them to you in an PM for inspection if you deem it valid???

rules.ini
 Description:
Directly out of my Sun Folder

Download
 Filename:  rules.ini
 Filesize:  320.58 KB
 Downloaded:  74 Time(s)

art.ini
 Description:
Directly out of my Sun Folder

Download
 Filename:  art.ini
 Filesize:  114.04 KB
 Downloaded:  76 Time(s)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can you go more in detail what you've changed in rules.ini and art.ini, so it's easier to find your changes?

From a quick view over your rules.ini i only found that you wrote "YES" as a keys value, while the game is case sensitive and should not read this correct.
I also saw "MetLarge" on the MeteorWH, while it definitely has to be METLARGE in full uppercase. Since the game is case sensitive, it can't find the specified animation. This can be a reason for a savegame bug, because the game might try to save this animation name into the savegame and when it loads the savegame it can't find the stored anim. The savegame loading routine works different than the map loading routine, thus some mistakes work/are ignored during the map loading but crash the game when loading a savegame.

So i would advise you check every changes you have done and make sure you followed the rules which i have listed in the newbie guide in modding

If everything fails, it might be necessary for you to disable (comment out) all your changes and then put them one after the other back in, while testing them each time ingame to find the one change causing the trouble.

Public SHPs

Tools

Slavack
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
can you go more in detail what you've changed in rules.ini and art.ini, so it's easier to find your changes?

From a quick view over your rules.ini i only found that you wrote "YES" as a keys value, while the game is case sensitive and should not read this correct.
I also saw "MetLarge" on the MeteorWH, while it definitely has to be METLARGE in full uppercase. Since the game is case sensitive, it can't find the specified animation. This can be a reason for a savegame bug, because the game might try to save this animation name into the savegame and when it loads the savegame it can't find the stored anim. The savegame loading routine works different than the map loading routine, thus some mistakes work/are ignored during the map loading but crash the game when loading a savegame.

So i would advise you check every changes you have done and make sure you followed the rules which i have listed in the newbie guide in modding

If everything fails, it might be necessary for you to disable (comment out) all your changes and then put them one after the other back in, while testing them each time ingame to find the one change causing the trouble.

OK...kinda broke it down.. I added ship yards too??

**edit***fixed the case sensitive issues you showed me

Rules Changes.txt
 Description:
Within i changed original art on gdi radar / nod Obelisk

Download
 Filename:  Rules Changes.txt
 Filesize:  3.13 KB
 Downloaded:  73 Time(s)

Art Changes.txt
 Description:
Within i changed original Rules on gdi radar / nod Obelisk

Download
 Filename:  Art Changes.txt
 Filesize:  19.87 KB
 Downloaded:  67 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon