Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 pm
All times are UTC + 0
3ds Max (everything)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject:  3ds Max (everything)
Subject description: My 3ds Topic
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey everyone I'm just going to use this topic for all of my 3ds and 3d questions..answer..work..uv....and all that stuff (so i dont keep creating new topics and to save space + organize)

So here's my first question..

I have a poly box and want to cut a shape into it..
I know how to use booleans but I think they're quite ugly and i dont like making an Editable Poly then Boolean then EdiPoly (over and over).

Is there an easier (and cleaner) way of doing this?

p.s. 3ds max 2011 64-bit

3ds Topic
Clicky

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: 3d Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what kinda of shape?

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a box and a smaller box with rounded (chamfered) edges. I've already moved on with this model but i had to remove all of the ugly edges and recreate them. But I'd like an easier and prettier way...

3ds Topic
Clicky

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: 3dmax Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

can you show a pic so I can see what you are reffering to. Maybe the book I have can offer some help.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like I've said I already moved on so it's hard to explain. But in the pic you can see the cutout from the original box. Booleans create unnecessary edges and it makes the polygon hard to work with.

chamfer-boolean.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  26.8 KB
 Viewed:  9223 Time(s)

chamfer-boolean.png

3ds Topic
Clicky

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yep, the boolean operations always have more or less glitches dependent on the complexity of the 2 models. But i fear there is no way around that.

The only thing you can do to reduce the errors, is to apply the boolean operation once, then remove the errors and finally copy the whole section to the duplicate places.

For such easy shapes as you have shown on the pic, you could also try using the extrude function, to intrude the area and then use chamfer edges on the intruded part. extrude/intrude and chamfer edges doesn't produce that much mistakes.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or use poly cutting meathods. Inset and what not. Connect, Extrude, Chamfer and Inset are your best friends in poly modeling.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright thanks guys. Guess I'll just have to make due. I'll post on this topic again when I have more questions or whatever Smile

3ds Topic
Clicky

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: 3d max Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, like LKO and Regulus said the extrude type deal.

look at example. make a box and give segments, 5 and for then convert to editable poly, on segment 2 and 4 and select connect and give odd number connects, I gave 7. I did not select the outer 2 of the vertices arrows and selection the vertices on the dots on the low edges on the outer edges and moved the outer most up so far to form the arch. Does that help?

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30594 the book here is good as is the site.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Nik! (and if you observe my pic a little closer you'll see my cuts have a space between them)

3ds Topic
Clicky

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: 3d max Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, i saw that. I was just trying to show you something. If you go to:
http://www.traptcg.com/

and watch the videos, it can give you some basics. I suggest this one to start off with:

http://www.traptcg.com/content/car-modeling-3d-studio-max-part-01

It can be a help when making vehicles in 3d max. The site has some good videos.

That book I suggested in the post has some good pointers. It was written for gaming. It talks about making arches, bridging, extruding, working with lighting, basic shapes and texturing.

I usually make a building, doing all my extruding, bridging, connecting on one piece. Then I copy each piece not moving it, giving specific names, ex: if its the base of a building name base or roof....I make each of these buildings unique. Then I'll go to say the roof building, hide unselected and delete all polys except roof stuff. I do this for the purpose UVW Mapping. I will do this for all specific items; roof, base, building, window trim, stairs, chimneys, what have you. Since I did not move the buildings in any way they will all line up like they are suppose to be.

I got the Polish building (from a name escapes me at the moment) and plan to use this process.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: UVW Issues Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't been Unwrap UVWing in awhile so I may have missed something simple...

I've tried everything I can think of...
The model is pure Editable poly.
I cannot seem to flatten OR unfold the models uvws.

can someone tell me what i may have missed?

I've tried it with the entire object/all polys/all uvw points/ everything...selected still no result :/

uvw problems.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.97 KB
 Viewed:  9034 Time(s)

uvw problems.png

3ds Topic
Clicky

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Animations Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a fire animation I built inside 3ds Max and I'm curious as how to make it isometric. it seems to face the camera regardless....the animation is a Blizzard Particle if that helps at all

3ds Topic
Clicky

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: 3d max Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alrighty I'll check that out thanks...any idea on how to render more than 100 frames? and how/what i need to save the animation as so i can put it in SHP editor?

3ds Topic
Clicky

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: 3d Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats alot of frames...only thing I could think of is...once you have 100 frmaes done, save it as part 1....then copy frame 100 and make it the first frame. then go from there

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

alright and what should I export it as (from 3ds) cause the only video option i get is .avi and that has horrible lossy-ness

3ds Topic
Clicky

raminator
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if you rightclick on the "play-symbol" you can change the animation length.
also...for uvw you could try to select faces in the modifiers list...

just a simple logo by bricks @ raminator, on Flickr

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks! Very Happy

3ds Topic
Clicky

Regulus
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

100 frames is way overkill for an animation. Most Animations in TS were around 32 frames or so, with 16 frames or so being the actual animation, depending on what type of animation it is. So 100 frames is a gross overkill for at quality.

On the 4th setting on the game speed tab in Tiberian Sun, it is supposed to run at 60 frames per second. So I suppose you could theoretically double everything to 64 frames or what not, but it doesn't make a huge difference. The more frames, the slower the animation, generally speaking, assuming 60 frames a second.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The 100 frame animation isn't for Tiberian Sun, Regulus.

3ds Topic
Clicky

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I watched a video on Max and the guy used Arrays (it wasnt a tut and there was no audio) so does anyone know how I can use this feature?

3ds Topic
Clicky

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did you figure out how to add more frames to 3d max?

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah yes thank you Cranium!
And yes i did, thanks Nik.

3ds Topic
Clicky

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Shp Builder problem. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My TS does not work (different subject) but I'm still making shps.
So I open SHP Builder (after installing 3.36) and import a freshly-exported e2.shp (disk thrower) and this is what I get.

Jumbled frames. As if certain 5-5px boxes were randomly placed in each frame.

p.s. I have exported it many times, restarted shpBuilder and XCC Mixer, and the computer. I cannot solve this problem.

Please help me.

shpbuilderWTF.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.22 KB
 Viewed:  8721 Time(s)

shpbuilderWTF.png

3ds Topic
Clicky

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

it looks like a bad pallet, but i can't be sure :/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not the pallet. Look at the first shp. the corners are all scrambled. EVERY shp turns out like that :/

3ds Topic
Clicky

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

from what i can see....thats not unittem pal. when you open the file, go to the top bar, palette, ra2, unitem

Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unitem pal, if i am not mistaken

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DUDE. it's NOT the pallet. Look at the picture. the guy is all scrambled.

3ds Topic
Clicky

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's not the palette obviously and yes he's using the unittem pal, it's just the TS version which doesn't have those missing pink colours. Maybe it's SHP compression?

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How would I go about testing/changing the compression?
Sorry I've never encountered this problem before.

3ds Topic
Clicky

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

compression needs to be 1 iirc. Banshee mentioned something about compression being any more causes problems and severe loss of quality.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So once again I'm posting in this topic with a question. Yes I realize it's a huge bump....I said I would be bumping this and here I am.

Alright so I've thrown 3ds Max out due to loving open source software and I am using Blender 2.61. I have already searched this site quite a few times but cannot find what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have a template for Blender that fits in Tiberian Sun?
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could send me on my way with a template.

p.s. once you get used to the way Blender works it's AMAZINGLY simple! Love it!

3ds Topic
Clicky

Machine
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Judeau might still have one, though haven't seen him in ages.

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Or Blade. But, anyways, there was one around here iirc.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Update out of nowhere! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So here's the bottom of a Scar I've been modeling starting at about 3pm today. My models are improving quite a bit. No textures yet as the model is obviously not complete.

EDIT:
Pretty much done with the model (a little more work to do). I'm working on making it all one shape or mesh for ease of UVing.

New picture.

ScarBottom.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.86 KB
 Viewed:  6419 Time(s)

ScarBottom.png

3ds Topic
Clicky

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Woot. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright guys and gals I'm resurrecting this thread to show an update on that ugly model you see above.

ScarH Right.png
 Description:
Full view at /viewtopic.php?p=475157#475157
 Filesize:  23.62 KB
 Viewed:  5136 Time(s)

ScarH Right.png

3ds Topic
Clicky

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you can find any of the things I modelled (probably badly) in blender that I posted here I always posted the blend file. Not sure how well they will work in the latest blender versions since 2.5 though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon