Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:18 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Projector
Moderators: SuperJoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject:  Projector Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cost: 250
Prerequisite: Warfactory, tech center
Role: Deception
Strengths: N/A
Weaknesses: N/A

A true testament to the deceptive nature of Nod, Projectors are small and cheap mechanical units that project themselves as other Nod units and base defences. In addition to the appearance, the projector mimics the behavior of the real vehicle to make it impossible for enemies to tell the difference between projectors and real units. Once they come under fire though, the deception is quickly broken as the projectors break up quickly to even light fire. The projectors are not armed with any real weapons.

A group of projectors faking as an attack force:

The player who controls the projectors can tell the difference between them and real units when the projectors are selected. A selected projector displays a row of boxes at the bottom part of the selection box, while real units do not. Enemy players won't be able to see the boxes, thus unable to tell the difference. Below is an example picture with projectors and real units:

Last edited by SuperJoe on Thu May 02, 2013 6:20 pm; edited 4 times in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't believe no one tried this before. SuperJoe, I admire your creative use of rules.ini codes. Good job.

PS. Mind telling us just how it works? #Tongue Unless you want to keep it to your mod Smile

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wait what? I am curious how it was done. hrm,

Orac
President

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is it done like fake buildings in RA?

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The projector fakes as a different vehicle in stages. When you first buy it it appears as a tick tank, then you can deploy it to fake a deployed tick tank. Undeploy from there and it fakes a reaper, and so on, until it has gone over all the 5 fakeble vehicles (tick tank -> reaper -> artillery -> hellfire mlrs -> mcv -> tick tank...). Most of the unit stats are shared between the different forms except movement and weapon behavior. Alternative would be to have each fake vehicle seperately available to buy in the sidebar, but I thought that would clutter it up a bit too much.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm I tweaked the faking order a bit to make vehicles that don't normally deploy into anything (reaper, hellfire mlrs) to fake something worthwhile when deployed. So now it works like:

Tick tank -> deployed tick tank -> reaper -> laser turret -> artillery -> deployed artillery -> hellfire mlrs -> sam site -> mcv -> deployed sensor array -> tick tank...

Now the projector can be used to make your base defences seem alot bigger than they really are. I wonder if this makes the unit even too powerful for a low cost of 200 Laughing

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Aha, that's very clever. I would raise the cost to 3-400 and give it a very low strength.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, yea i figured you'd be abusing the free unit logic or the deploys into w/e the key is. Seems more like a shape shifter.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hah! Awesome idea. Reminds me somewhat of Emperor:Battle for Dune's Ixian Projector Tank. I assume that it was of some inspiration?

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I increased the projector cost to 250, since real laser turrets and samsites are pretty cheap too, 425 and 500 each. You can still get 4 projectors for 1000 instead of 5. The projector has only 50 hp + light armor so 1-2 shots from pretty much anything will break them up.

Yep Gufu I just recently played Emperor again after many years break. I took inspiration from it for other things beside the projector too Wink

GameMaster0000
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good creative idea man.

One problem that it also confuse you self which one is fake or real, you make it has unique voice to make player recognize that is fake or real.

Tiberian Sun : True Power - Reality Power Of 5 Factions...

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd use the limpet bleep for that, imo.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took that small robotic vehicle (that releases gas that makes units go crazy) voice from Yuri's Revenge for it.

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
I took that small robotic vehicle (that releases gas that makes units go crazy) voice from Yuri's Revenge for it.

Chaos Drone, eh?

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oooo, nice idea.

*takes note for mod ideas*

ArvinCool
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is fun online

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The fake units should look a little different from the originals, otherwise even the player could mistake them for the real thing.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They have a different, robotic selection voice. You could also put them under different control group for quick access. Beyond these I don't think theres any way to change the visual appearance to be different to the owner and enemy players.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Found a solution that allows you to tell the difference visually between projectors and real units. The projectors display row of pips when selected, while real units don't. I've updated the unit profile with this. I used similar thing with the fake / real ion storm missile launcher for the Forgotten.

MT
General

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cleverer and cleverer, SuperJoe. A good idea to start with and now made to work well ingame. I'll have to try these right away when the mod is out.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
Yep Gufu I just recently played Emperor again after many years break. I took inspiration from it for other things beside the projector too Wink

The fake units from an Ixian projector DID have real weapons though. I always took out the Emperor Worm with a ton of projected units #Tongue

So, do these units/structures shoot but with no damage, or don't they shoot at all?

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

SuperJoe wrote:
Beyond these I don't think theres any way to change the visual appearance to be different to the owner and enemy players.

yeah, it's a shame that AuxAnim = and AltImage= are used for building types only. "Maybe something CCHyper can look into". But this is brilliant anyway. I like what you've done with this mod so far. Smile

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great but indeed perhaps too cheap in-game since it could make or break game depending on how the opponent judges your arsenal. Either your having the unit with so little evident money would give it away or on the other hand they could not tell when to attack when they could do so successfully, since for just $200 you could have a whole field of these units posing as defencively significant units.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

j4m3sb0nd wrote:
Great but indeed perhaps too cheap in-game since it could make or break game depending on how the opponent judges your arsenal. Either your having the unit with so little evident money would give it away or on the other hand they could not tell when to attack when they could do so successfully, since for just $200 you could have a whole field of these units posing as defencively significant units.

I already increased the price once from 200 to 250. Think if it cost more it would start to become useless, since the cost difference to a real unit that actually has a weapon wouldn't be as much. For example a real laser turret costs 425 and a samsite 500.

j4m3sb0nd
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Understandable, though it can transform into things appearing of vast worth, the delay in transformations might be an added disadvantage of the unit to justify the price as well.

Morpher
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Whilst things may appear to be of vast worth, they are effectively useless combat wise so too much increase of price and you might as well save a few more credits on buying something that looks the same but also has firepower.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [26 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon