Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am
All times are UTC + 0
Darken / lighten colors
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject:  Darken / lighten colors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A feature that let's you darken or lighten a range of color (e.g. grayscale, brown1, etc) by any value you want. As of now I have tons of custom cschemes to do this. A kinda working trick for this is to have the darken / lighten cscheme for only 1 color block (e.g. brown1), then if you want to darken soviet you first convert it to brown1, apply the darken cscheme, then covert it back to soviet. But if the SHP already had brown1 in the first place, that would get darkened too. So a feature like this would cut out alot of hassle.

EDIT: This feature would be useful for the Voxel Editor too.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can sorta use the 24 bit color conversion method and adding/subtracting white (same amount ffrom ll the thre channels) but yeah, it'd look good, I have cschemes for that too ATM.

(Tho I have no issues of unwanted darkening because I use the 208-239 range too as two gradients with their cschemes and no TS colors. #Tongue)

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why bother? cschemes can do the job just fine, I made each color line its own darkener where each use of script darkens by 1 shade.

Besides separate function like this wouldn't be able to likely work with different palettes so cschemes is better way unless we work on the principle of only working with unittem.pal

Keep in mind, with buildings especially this kinda separate color line darkening is kinda bad since mixing of color lines is common and when you only change one, the more you do it, the more you screw up the lighting and eventually your shp is very pixelated and well...need I say crap?

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually the color replace menu can be used for this, though you have to select each individual color one by one.

It would be handy if you could use the same color replace selection technique here that you can use in the palette editor, e.g. it allows you to select multiple colors at once and paste them over the colors you want to replace. This way it wouldn't be dependent on any palette, but would make color replacing very handy and quick.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As the others said, the color schemes are much more useful for that.
To program and add such a feature would surely do much more work, than letting each user create a simple text file which does the same job. And here you can also use quick enumeration tools like ultraedit column-mode which allows you to create any number sequence you need.

Your example would look like this in the cscheme file
Code:
[Info]
Name=Darkener
By=The PPM Community
Website=http://www.ppmsite.com/
ImageIndex=-1
Split=false
gametype=0
schemetype=1

[Data]
71=72
70=71
69=70
68=69
67=68
66=67
65=66
64=65

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
A feature that let's you darken or lighten a range of color (e.g. grayscale, brown1, etc) by any value you want. As of now I have tons of custom cschemes to do this. A kinda working trick for this is to have the darken / lighten cscheme for only 1 color block (e.g. brown1), then if you want to darken soviet you first convert it to brown1, apply the darken cscheme, then covert it back to soviet. But if the SHP already had brown1 in the first place, that would get darkened too. So a feature like this would cut out alot of hassle.

I can't even comprehend this. You converted soviet colors to brown1, darkened the brown1, then converted back to soviet? And you're complaining about the brown1 elsewhere in the SHP other than the desired area darkening? You are asking for a function that lets you easily darken pixel by pixel from what I understand. Otherwise there's absolutely no reason you need anything outside of cschemes.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7 wrote:
Quote:

I can't even comprehend this. You converted soviet colors to brown1, darkened the brown1, then converted back to soviet? And you're complaining about the brown1 elsewhere in the SHP other than the desired area darkening? You are asking for a function that lets you easily darken pixel by pixel from what I understand. Otherwise there's absolutely no reason you need anything outside of cschemes.

I said IF you did that. An example to show that you need alot of cschemes for the process. Right now I have crapload of cschemes to darken / lighten each different color block. I know cschemes can be used for this, but if you don't have a cscheme ready for a certain color, you need to close SHP builder and go create it palette editor (or by hand as shown by LKO), then re-open SHP builder for it to read the new cscheme. So it's not something that can't be done, but it could be alot more handy if the functionality of the palette editor was in the color replace menu as seen in the screenshot above.

Or another way that doesn't require any code would be to include a lighten / darken by 1 cscheme for each Unittem.pal color block. So in addition to all the default swaps like soviet -> brown1, there'd be Darken soviet by 1, and Lighten soviet by 1. And maybe cschemes to darken / lighten every single color of the Unittem.pal. If most people seem to have these cschemes, maybe it would be good to include them with the SHP builder.

SuperJoe
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something like this. Didn't realise you can get the cschemes to show up in the PalPack 1 & 2 menus. I might create these for all the color blocks and a few other generally useful cschemes, then release it as a download so people can get them quickly should they reinstall SHP builder or install it on a new computer.

cschemes.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.44 KB
 Viewed:  5738 Time(s)

cschemes.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum