Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am
All times are UTC + 0
Allied MBT
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, OpenRA Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:  Allied MBT Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The original tank was created with feedback from the community and was spotlighted for that reason in 2006.

About 5.5 years later, after a re-evaluation of Spotlighted voxels and a proper determination that the "atank" was mediocre, I decided to update the voxel. The hull was an easy thing to redo, but the turret was designed out of scale (x: 26->24, y: 13->9, z: 42->38 ) and felt that it'd turn out to be just another Abrams turret if I redid it to match. So I ended up with a new turret, designed from scratch.

As an alternate, I've included a renormalized/textured version of the old voxel, so you can mix and match the new/old turret/chassis.

atank_hull2and1_updated.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.2 KB
 Viewed:  19039 Time(s)

atank_hull2and1_updated.png

atank_hull1_update.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.42 KB
 Viewed:  19039 Time(s)

atank_hull1_update.png

atankold.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  atankold.zip
 Filesize:  26 KB
 Downloaded:  606 Time(s)

atanknew.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  atanknew.zip
 Filesize:  22.03 KB
 Downloaded:  676 Time(s)

Last edited by EVA-251 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:07 am; edited 7 times in total

Muldrake
Supreme Commander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A very well made voxel, using comments from the community to help finish this tank to a very high quality.

I like this tank especially, as it shows the artist working with the comments received with the community.

The original topic is located here.

Definitely worth the spotlight!

ChielScape
General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i agree.

ihateharriers
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

congrats on a very nice voxel Eva Smile

i don't really notice anything "odd" about the barrel, though, it seems to look good from all angles. it was also nice that, as muldrake mentioned, you took comments from the community and integrated them into the voxel. that represents a true artist and i think that the results are defintaly great.

Tony
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes fine job!

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a 5.5 year necro-post. Do you have a problem with it? I hope not. I don't. Because I made this thread. I have the power. Nah nah~.

Recently, it has come to the attention of the community that quite frankly, many of the spotlighted voxels in this section are well, crap. Not wanting my lone submission ever considered worthy enough to fall to the wayside, I did this.

It's pending ingames and a less extensive redo that will simply update the normals and textures to not look ugly.

atank_hull2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.55 KB
 Viewed:  19591 Time(s)

atank_hull2.png

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That look much better. If it looks good in game I'll vote to keep it in.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looking good, me likes. The old one wasn't too bad either, blends in well with the vanilla units.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is the updated version. Remap color is somewhat non-standard, being a bit deeper than standard RA2 red (I'm running RA1.5)

I'll replace the original download in a bit.

atank_update2012.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  77.41 KB
 Viewed:  19531 Time(s)

atank_update2012.png

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't replace, allow us to decide which one will we take!

Nice one... and tbh maybe I'll use both.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, don't replace.
I actually prefer the old one, because of the higher details and the less visible bad normals lighting of the ra2 engine. The few thin bright spots even give it some kind of bright reflection effect which is quite cool.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now that I see an ingame of the new one, I too prefer the older one.
It looks good but needs more detail.

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The second one is way better, but I still feel that it lacks the oomph needed for spotlight status. Some shading details, as well as fixing the black dots in the SE/SW facings would do it some major justice. And, a personal quip would be the length of the barrel being way too long for my own taste.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Yep, don't replace.
I actually prefer the old one, because of the higher details and the less visible bad normals lighting of the ra2 engine. The few thin bright spots even give it some kind of bright reflection effect which is quite cool.
The only reason those details existed were to cover up the poor performance of the 3.0 series auto-normalizer. Your opinion on RA2 normals is noted but is not constructive or reflective on what I've done here.

m7 wrote:
The second one is way better, but I still feel that it lacks the oomph needed for spotlight status. Some shading details, as well as fixing the black dots in the SE/SW facings would do it some major justice. And, a personal quip would be the length of the barrel being way too long for my own taste.

I'll be fixing the black dots (actually, dark blue #Tongue) and adding some shading, as the sides of the turret and hull are a little bland.

The barrel length, well. I like high-velocity guns.

m7
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As noted, the barrel length was purely opinion-based. I wouldn't see any reason it couldn't get spotlighted (or stay spotlighted) for something that trivial. I'm interested to see some more shading done when it gets time, and I'm curious as to how you're doing normals. Hand painting seems to be the lame way nowadays when using Cubed Autonormals on 2.6 range with 3:1 contrast:smooth ratio.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7 wrote:
As noted, the barrel length was purely opinion-based. I wouldn't see any reason it couldn't get spotlighted (or stay spotlighted) for something that trivial. I'm interested to see some more shading done when it gets time, and I'm curious as to how you're doing normals. Hand painting seems to be the lame way nowadays when using Cubed Autonormals on 2.6 range with 3:1 contrast:smooth ratio.

I use AutoNormals 5.1 with 3.54 (RA2) range, using 1:1 contrast:smooth ratio. I then use hand-painting to fix stair-step effects and emphasize angular armor that isn't picked up by the auto-normalizer, like the V-shaped glacis and turret front on this tank.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Eww, the turret dots. Fix them then it'll be good. This version is excellent so far, but the turret dots take away from the other beauty of , which is a shame because that chassis is nice.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Work on dots, a few tweaks to the turret to enhance detail and a little extra on the hull.

<3 you westwood for your glorious renderer

I might do some other tweaks but at this point I'm running out patience and desire to work on this one.

atank_update2012_2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.07 KB
 Viewed:  19403 Time(s)

atank_update2012_2.png

Orac
President

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I kinda preferred the shape of the original's turret.
The chassis is a lot better though.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really? Looking back at it, all I see is a rather uninspired Abrams turret ripoff.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I prefer the original one.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the community is inclined to defy all logic and wisdom by opting for a clearly inferior and terribly designed voxel

I'll defy all logic and wisdom by removing it

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seems like somebody is a bit grumpy... Confused

gufu
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Geez, I liked both of them. IMO, original was more fitting as a Light Tank, while current one would fit as Medium Tank/Allied MBT.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumpy? Maybe. Frustrated? Yes.

I'm not keen on wasting my time updating voxels like this only to be told that "hey your efforts are ztyping meaningless, the old one is better", despite the old one having
-a terrible and unoriginal turret design
-excessive and worthless detailing that was there for the sake of detailing and perhaps covering up...
-terrible normals and...
-an ugly hull
-bad suspension design

Nothing says "ztype you, you wasted your time" better than a bunch of people saying prefer that crock of shit over the new one. So I'm not going to waste any more time- I won't stall that atrocity's removal from the Spotlighted, I won't let it be downloaded any more.

if this thread gets a download, it's going to be of the new one.

edit-
"team updating voxels"

Last edited by EVA-251 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA2. Most people want units which look cool, not ones which are accurate and realistic.

Both are good, I just have a personal preference for boxier turrets.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's nothing "accurate" about this tank as it's a totally original design. And there was nothing that looked cool about the original by any definition; I'm sorry for anybody that can only define cool as "ridiculous looking" and "unbelievable" which seem to be the RA2 criteria.

Regardless, the first one is gone and will not be back on PPM.

edit- "anybody", not "everybody"

Last edited by EVA-251 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 am; edited 2 times in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't see why you couldn't just keep the two models. The new model is so different to the old one it's hard to considered it as an update, but an entirely new model. However, most people here voting for the original were only looking for an update, such as improved textures and normals. I doubt they had any exact problem with the new one, though.

As for the new one, I believe the model should wider, but only slightly. I'm also not keen of the excessively long barrel.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Because stuff like the last 19 posts happen where you have people clamoring for the old crappy version.

The hull really isn't that different. I took the original v-shaped glacis (that because of the bad texture, one would have never noticed) and made it more pronounced. The idea with the turret was intentionally to look different from the original, which looked way too much like an Abrams Tank's turret (IE devoid of originality).

The new version will be put up for download.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please, make it downloadable or it will get de-spotlighted.

Volgin
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol wut. You let shit voxels rock the spotlight forum, somebody UPDATES their voxel, and you threaten to de-spotlight it?

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't want to de-spotlight it, but he has taken off the download.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like both and both should co-exist. You didn't waste your time; you made 2 nice VXLs. Just because some people prefer one over the other doesn't mean they dislike any of them.

EVA-251
General

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ViPr wrote:
I like both and both should co-exist. You didn't waste your time; you made 2 nice VXLs. Just because some people prefer one over the other doesn't mean they dislike any of them.
I'm inclined to disagree to the point that taking preference to the first over the second is an insult.

Regardless, download's up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [34 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!