Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm
All times are UTC + 0
What resolution do you play at?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [38 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Aydra
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject:  What resolution do you play at? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Alright, ive been modding TS for months now and was playing/testing at 1024x768 which seemed a decend resolution. I have a 16:10 widescreen monitor and the image was always stretched. I was bored so i tried it at 1680x1050 which is my monitor's maximum and found out the image was no more stretched.

But i dont like seeing 80% of the map at once so i wanted to set it to 1280x800 which is a descent mid sized 16:10 resolution, but when I do the game screen goes all wide with black bars on top and bottom like im watching a movie. What the heck is going on? Does anyone else use a widescreen monitor and play without it being stretched?

I got a geforce 8600 GT if anyone needs to know.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

widescreen is actually 16:9 and not 16:10

Do a monitor auto-adjustment. Maybe the image isn't shown correct due to the monitor not playing it correctly sized/centered.

Try some different resolution. Something more usual like 16:9 1280x720 or 4:3 1280x960

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
widescreen is actually 16:9 and not 16:10

Some widescreen monitors use 16:10, like 1680x1050 or 1920x1200.

Try adjusting the monitor (or toggling on some GPU image sctreching option) settings with 1280x800.

Last edited by ^Rampastein on Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

CCHyper
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I run at 1680x1050 full screen, 1024x768 windowed.

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

always at 1024x768
otherwise I miss all the details
anything bigger makes like playing with ants -_-

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:
anything bigger makes like playing with ants -_-

On a gameboy, yes.
But on a 40" screen or bigger and you wish resolutions above 2560x1600 would be available.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
But on a 40" screen or bigger and you wish resolutions above 2560x1600 would be available.

I would if the sidebar could scale according to resolution, like for example the C&C3 sidebar. Currently I have a 23" screen with 1080p as its native resolution, but I play at 1600x900 because the distance to the sidebar becomes massive with larger resolutions (slowing down building of things since I often have to move the cursor across the screen).

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1280 x 1024 'cause I'm too lazy (nor do I see the point in) to get another monitor.

Cranium
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I play at 1360x768 with a 27" wide screen monitor. Works great for both TS and RA2..

The enemy shall be injected with toxic poison - Venom

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Such a low res with a 27" monitor? X_X

I have a 27" monitor as well and I play pretty much everything at 1920x1080 (including TS) unless the GPU can't handle it, although now that I replaced my 8800 GTX with a GTX 680, even Crysis 2 runs with a proper frame rate on the highest graphics settings with that res Smile

That aside, as Rampastring mentioned, the distance you have to move the mouse cursor towards the sidebar when you need to build stuff is indeed pretty great when playing with 1920x1080. So maybe someone with the right hacking skills could possibly add shortcut keys to build things on the sidebar?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1600x900. If I could get games to run well on both monitors I'd happily do it.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1024x768... TS and RA2...

Steam

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

800x600. Even if I have an ASUS VW221D (21,6") and even when my Windoes is on 1680x1050... TS and RA2 looks so small in that huge resolution that it annoys me.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1336x768 on any Game I play (Its my Max Screen so meh...)

ChronoSeth
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That... is a very bizarre screen size.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not really. I had a toshiba satellite A355 with that resolution. It's a 16:9 ratio.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1280x960. Any larger is kinda pointless IMO, max res is 1680x1050.

Allen
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What ever stock is...

C&C in RA-1 Get it here
http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30101 100+ Single Player Missions! Now playable on CnCNet 5!

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1920x1080 of course! I have to see the map, ya know?

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

[TiberianFuture] wrote:

...and have problems with small ones, especially when playing TD #Tongue

Also, the bigger the resolution, the more pointless the radar in TS/RA2 becomes. My desktop monitor is a 1680 x 1050 and if I play fullscreen, I never pay attention to the radar. Then again, you can see a much bigger part of the map than before.

[TiberianFuture]
Scrin Overlord

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, true, but I hardly play TD and there isn't really that small maps in TS/TI/whatever mod.

With bigger reso I don't have to scroll the sidebar much at all and I see rather big portion of the map, so the radar being smaller isn't that much of an issue.
I mostly use it for jumping around and seeing if something is under attack anyways (units are hard to see there, esp. green). My map awareness is based on scrolling around and not the radar. #Tongue

Ladder wars vs. bikeRushOwnz.

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
[TiberianFuture] wrote:

...and have problems with small ones, especially when playing TD #Tongue

Psssh. I fixed all those problems #Tongue

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still, you can't avoid the visual errors in the black borders and the screen jumping when you scroll for the first time. Nothing serious, though.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm with TF. #Tongue

Nyerguds
General

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
Still, you can't avoid the visual errors in the black borders and the screen jumping when you scroll for the first time. Nothing serious, though.

And it's so hard to open the fricking main menu to fix that? Sad

Anyway, I generally play in 1024x768.

MrTweek
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

im playing the game @ 1920x1080 its giving more overview to the situation on a Fight, Flighlevel is also setted to 1800 =) very funny when 6 Banshees are flying over the Base =) (maybe offtopic but...) i set also the Music and Gamevoice-Volume very low. its giving better feeling...

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm playing it at 800x600 TS forces to that resolution or i would have it much bigger like 1366x768

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
i'm playing it at 800x600 TS forces to that resolution or i would have it much bigger like 1366x768

You can change the resolution to whatever you like by editing SUN.ini (2560x1024 is the max I've tried, but I'm fairly sure there isn't a limit). Also, if you add "AllowHiResModes=true" to the [Video] section, the in-game resolution selector lists resolutions higher than 800x600 as well.

MrTweek
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
if you add "AllowHiResModes=true" to the [Video] section, the in-game resolution selector lists resolutions higher than 800x600 as well.

Im thinking it will be a mutch Slower in performance (when you have much bigger bases, in this case you should also apply the "Performance-Patch" thats posted here in the Forum... (alternate to ddraw.dll) =/

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MrTweek wrote:
Im thinking it will be a mutch Slower in performance (when you have much bigger bases, in this case you should also apply the "Performance-Patch" thats posted here in the Forum... (alternate to ddraw.dll) =/

If your system is anything that can be called "modern" and not a low-power one (such as a netbook), it'll be fast enough to run TS at any resolution at least up to 1080p anyway. With the patch the performance will in most cases be drastically better, probably allowing even those mentioned low-power devices to run TS smoothly at high resolutions.

MrTweek
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This fix is also increasing the Performance on Higher Systems. Without this Patch, the game`s Performance is lagging on very big bases. My LAN-Games with Friends @ 6 Player with > 4 Bases is drasticilly Lagging (without this Patch) =)

Im playing TS on Windows 7 (x64) @Score: 5,9

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1920x1080, except for Generals which looks crap, so I run that one in windowed mode.

Palkia323
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I just got Tiberian Sun to run at 1440x900 but it's so slow it's impossible to play. Guess I'll be sticking with the default size. :/

3ds Topic
Clicky

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
dodgevipergts wrote:

You can change the resolution to whatever you like by editing SUN.ini (2560x1024 is the max I've tried, but I'm fairly sure there isn't a limit). Also, if you add "AllowHiResModes=true" to the [Video] section, the in-game resolution selector lists resolutions higher than 800x600 as well.

i know how to change the res but just refucses to work i've even posted a topic on how my resolution is forced to 800x600 -TS hates my pc

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
i know how to change the res but just refucses to work i've even posted a topic on how my resolution is forced to 800x600 -TS hates my pc

Either you've done something wrong (like accidentaly given it an unsupported resolution; I think this is the more likely case) or Intel HD Graphics suck even more than I thought they do.

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My laptop uses Intel HD Graphics and they work just fine. Maybe something's wrong with your setting.

PePsiCola
Cyborg Specialist

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I only play up to...lol whatever it is something like 1280x800? I can't go any higher since I use a laptop.

Ixonoclast
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Playing C&C Gold on 1900x1200 gave some pretty funny glitches.

Very psychedelic.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [38 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon