Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Ares 0.3 RC phase
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject:  Ares 0.3 RC phase Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello guys,
Ares 0.3 is almost done, even though it didn't go exactly as planned. I think you all have seen the blitter crash thread by now, and the week long delay. Then, some fixes weren't confirmed as working. In the last weeks, some more issues popped up and they have been tackled. Thus the delay lead to a more stable Ares 0.3 instead of Ares 0.3 followed by a 0.3p1 patch. Wink

Alas the Attach Effect feature didn't make it in time, but all other features like the Whiteboy fix and Custom Missiles will be in.

Here is the Ares 0.3 Release Candidate, which contains all the features that will make it into the full release. There are still three fixes remaining that have to be confirmed as working, but all three are confirmed indirectly if the crashes don't happen any more. Thus, the extent of RC phase is really arbitrary now.

The included documentation is preliminary, although complete. The wording might change, but all new tags should work as described. If you got some comments, please post them here!

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Congratz.

On the summer I rewire my stuff for a faster 0.4 release then. If you plan to include those on your planned 0.4 feature-list.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
m7
Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I shall pick up on some of the testing. I will try to find some of the new features that I can use into my mod and test them. I am not making a commitment, but I am offering to try to help.

EDIT: I would really love for the documentation to have a filter for version additions, much like one of the previous versions of the documentation. Having been out of the loop and not very well versed in the new Launchpad system, it is a bit challenging for me to know exactly what has and hasn't been added into the mod.

Josh Is 25% Larger
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to the Ares team for their effort!

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good job Alex. I've been waiting for this anyway Smile Update us if you have done more stuff about Ares and of course ARDA.

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

m7 wrote:
I would really love for the documentation to have a filter for version additions, much like one of the previous versions of the documentation
i agree, this would be useful.

also thx for the hard work all the Ares team, keep it up

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Downloaded.
But guys, how can I see in documentation what is exactly new just in 0.3?
Somebody wrote about filtering versions and I think it is a good idea too, it can save a lot of time.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Changing the documentation to allow sorting or filtering features by version is not easily possible. It might be possible to generate lists like the old documentation had (the appendix), but as features are expanded, they cannot be grouped like this any more. The addition of observer flags for sides would either appear under 0.1, or all previous tags wouldn't show up under 0.1 any more.

The new features are Custom Missiles, Gattling Cycle, Whiteboy fix, and several others. For a list see the link Banshee posted. Usually, the search function works pretty well on phrases like "engineer" or "whiteboy". The only page that isn't tied to a feature though it might be important is the Migration page, which describes which tags were renamed of got a new meaning.

Graion: Everything that is finished can get in.

Bu7loos
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome work ARES team !

SMIFFGIG
General

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

congrats on the progress

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the documentation repo were current and the sections had the proper versionadded/versionchanged directives, one could at least generate a changelog from the documentation.

Alas, what's not shared cannot be used...

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AlexB wrote:
Changing the documentation to allow sorting or filtering features by version is not easily possible. It might be possible to generate lists like the old documentation had (the appendix), but as features are expanded, they cannot be grouped like this any more.

Well, just put somewhere at bottom new pag/sections named ,,New Features 0.3", ,,New features 0.4", so when we open it, we know exactly what is new/changed and thats it.
No need exact filtering per version.

But simply adding
,,New features 0.3"
and inside page list:
-Custom Missiles
-Gattling Cycle
-Whiteboy fix
So we can have idea what is new, so we can go though documentation manually and check it.
Without something like this, we would not know what is new in 0.3 for testing unless we go to internet. But you know, sometimes, someone may have broken connection. Then he must search though whole huge documentation to find 0.3 fixes or new features.
So Alex, if that is huge job to filter listing per version, then leave it, do not waste time, but at least simple version page would be enough.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's already a way to programatically include introduction, change and deprecation information via Sphinx directives in the documentation. (Frequently seen through the New in version 0.2. notices in the documentation.)
There's also already a way to automatically generate a changelog from that. It's primarily meant for the documentation writers themselves, but all it needs is copying and a bit markup for inclusion. (See attachment.)

Making it the way it was in the previous versions of the documentation, where parts of the docs just vanish, would be possible, but only with a disproportionate amount of work and, more importantly, it would be just plain silly. The old docs primarily did that because they weren't segmented. The new docs are. Most features or feature groups have their own pages, and if the docs are properly updated, all additions, changes and deprecations are properly marked. There's no reason to hide anything, because there can be no misunderstanding. (That and if you're using an old version of Ares with the new version of the docs, you're doing something wrong anyway.)

Generating a changelog, on the other hand, is relatively easy: There's a changelog generator/viewer for the documentation maintainers that can be used to quickly copy together a changelog for the version. It's not entirely automatic, but it shouldn't take more than half an hour, and only has to be done once per release.
Like all other documentation work, it is also code-less, plain text work that could be done by anyone...

...if one has the current documentation source files.

Since the repository hasn't been updated, I don't. Otherwise, I would already have ended this discussion by providing a changelog. I have figured out by now that most of the recent changes ended up in some weirdly-named branch, but there's no 0.3 documentation change marked. Confused

And no, I can't figure it out from the source code, because that repository doesn't seem to be up to date, either. Rolling Eyes

changelog.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  394.25 KB
 Viewed:  11278 Time(s)

changelog.png

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Overview of changes anyone?

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See Bansh's post.

And I really suggest you to actually read the stuff carefully, you seem to not think at all.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach, what does he want?
Does he want somebody to test out those new features ingame and post report here?

Orac
President

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a picture of what is in Banshee's link, for the hard of thinking.

Screenshot.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  101.71 KB
 Viewed:  11139 Time(s)

Screenshot.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon