Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:04 am
All times are UTC + 0
We'll no longer spotlight voxels
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:  We'll no longer spotlight voxels
Subject description: It's time to organize voxels through different ways.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After some hard decision, I've decided to stop the process of spotlighting voxels and eventually, in a medium term, merge both spotlighted voxels forum with the voxels forum.

I think it might be more interesting to add a separate .xml system that could allow me to classify voxels into several categories or maybe ratings and create a site at PPM listing them using these classifications/rating/etc... It would make things a lot more organized than two forums where one only seems to be there to boost some people's ego.

Any comments? Or any suggestions for classification of voxels?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds good. I would suggest a rating of 1 to 5 stars.

Ratings would be good, but then only registered members should be allowed to rate (no guests). (Basically like a poll with 5 options on every voxel)

Problematic might be topics with 2 or more voxels.

If you do such a drastic change in the organization, i would also suggest to add categories that you can set for each voxel: e.g.
-Aircraft, Ship, Vehicle Wheeled, Vehicle Hover, Vehicle Track, Vehicle Mech

This would surely help later to show them much more organized than now, where you have to click through all the topics to find a needed voxel.

Then in the end there might be also a small applet which allows to browse through the voxel by the categories and ratings: e.g. give me all 5 Star aircraft.
Though for such a small applet there would be a fixed topic style necessary with:
-always a preview image in a certain size
-a short description
-the download link (since the filename varies in the attachment, a link which has always the same ID to this file)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's a slight problem. You see, the rating system can be like this:

-Good quality voxel, popular artist, - 4.5 stars. Not 5.
-Bad quality voxel, unknown artist, - 5 stars, from one supporter of him. Gets a better rating than the others. However, since it's a rating system, it might get better in time. Alternatively, if you implement it, there should be 2 categories of voxels: rated and unrated. Those "unrated" need at least 3 or 5 rating in order to get rated. The rating is pending, and shown off only when there are 3 or 5 persons who rated this unit.

I think this should work.

I agree to LKO's point, except the categories: We only need Land, Water, Air. That's all. Maybe a Misc category as well. Also, an applet isn't necessary. The search function is okay.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most importantly, the voxels should be arranged in the voxels subforum by ranking or there should at least be an option to do so.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^^that's why i mentioned an applet, because the forum order surely can't be changed that easy to a complete different way, just for this subforum.
So the forum would show topics as usual with last activity on top, while the applet allows an organized viewing/finding of voxels.
It would be also bad if the first rating is bad and the voxel immediately moves into the nirvana end, where no one will recognize it anymore.

Such an applet would be also a great feature for the front page of www.ppmsite.com.

Oh i forgot, a category for TS, RA2 or both would be useful.
Maybe also add categories for GDI, Nod, Soviet, Allies, Yuri, alternative style.

Public SHPs

Tools

Deformat
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

At the bottom of every forum page there is a "Sort by:", and there you can sort via ranking.

Too many categories, LKO, maybe I want to take a TS voxel and use it in RA2. Or viceversa. #Tongue

Martin Killer
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, just Ground/Air/Naval for RA2/TS, other subcategories mind be confusing and useless.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Deformat wrote:
Too many categories, LKO, maybe I want to take a TS voxel and use it in RA2. Or viceversa. #Tongue

but maybe i want a TS voxel and no thousand RA2 voxel in between.

If the voxel are in categories TS and RA2, you can also still set the filter to "i don't care".
But in the long run this makes the whole system more useful.
And since the system is almost redone from scratch, most of the topics need to be edited anyway, so while we are at it, it should be done now. Later no one will do the work again and change all the topics for a new implemented category.

Public SHPs

Tools

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Maybe also add categories for GDI, Nod, Soviet, Allies, Yuri, alternative style.

Agreed with LKO.
1.GDI 2.NOD 3.Soviet 4.Allied 5.Yuri (6.Cabal/Cyborg 7.Scrin/Alien) 6.Other (where are civilians, mutants and other undefined voxels)
And then inside should be either subcategories for ground/air/ships or voxels themselves should have prefixes such [GROUND] [AIRCRAFT] [NAVAL] instead of adding them to subforums.
So when someone wants Allied tank, he will go to Allied subforum and find it easily instead of searching and searching though pages.
And yes, voxels also should have prefixes or sufixes [TS] or [RA2] to determine where for are they designed. There are some GDI or NOD units designed for RA2, and in turn some designed for TS specially.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

5 stars? No! It needs the precision of percentage at least.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure it does at all. Personally I won't even look at these scores as anything serious, the voxel will stand out to me regardless, if it's good.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

separation between the games is really needed.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why? There is no difference between a TS and a RA2 voxel. TS normals work fine in RA2 and vice versa.

The only difference is size. But then we need a TS a RA2 and RA2+ scaled option.... which is stupid.

Keep it only on Ground Naval and Air. For a decade this worked well on every resource page.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It makes browsing through them more comfortable. Often I look for assets made for a specific game. The voxel section gets less crowded too.

The difference is size and style and some units not working in the other game.

Its one of the reasons I prefered the Tibweb asset section. All the assets where for the game I was looking for. That said it ain't essentially needed and a guideline to name the entry with the game name would work too which somewhat is already there.

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Independent from the mathematical challenge Deformat posed, 5-Star-Ratings are just plain pointless.
Yes, when properly used, they're informative. In the Internet reality of today, they are not properly used.
90% of the users will give one of two ratings: 5 stars for things they like, 1 star for things they dislike. YouTube learned this the hard way, which is why today, you'll only find like/dislike buttons on videos.

YouTube wrote:
Simplified binary ratings: As we noted in an earlier blog post, the rating system on YouTube doesn't really work that well (e.g. only the 1 and 5 star ratings were ever really used). So we moved towards a simpler "Like / Don't Like" model. Liking a video will also save it to your Favorites to make it easy to find those videos again.

[source]

Also, I agree the intended game/ambiance should be an available selector, but I disagree with introducing categories. Categories are limiting. Tagging is where it's at. Just make it possible to tag a voxel with as many tags as necessary and allow boolean search by tags.

Far easier to find the right voxel if you can just search for "all voxels tagged 'TS' and 'forgotten' and 'pizza delivery'".

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that Renegade is right. Like and Dislike is the best deal for this kind of thing. I just wanna a criteria in terms of rating to split voxels that have acceptable normals, no pink dots and other problems from those who weren't done properly.

And in terms of categories, we can do something like Land, Air, Ships, Buildings, etc...

Then, we use some keywords to discriminate factions or type of vehicle.

ViPr
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA2 normals work in TS?! Why was I never told this? I would think I would be one of the first people to be told this.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Renegade. I think tags are the way to go, instead of categories, since categories will limit what people view. I think more people will want to browse them all, and less people will know precisely what they're looking for.

It's like when you look for new posts, you generally don't generally go down the index and specifically search your favorite forums; you click the "new posts" button and browse through the entire list, for whatever topic catches your interest

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

Orac
President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bad-luck Orac #Tongue

>Finally releases a spotlight-worthy voxel
>Voxels will no longer be spotlighted

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Bad-luck Orac #Tongue

In the future it will be called "5 STAR THIS!"

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have read all of the above posts and I can say that what ever system is chosen, a lengthy redesign of the site will be required.

Voxels would have to be submitted individually, have associated imagery and tags included and specified by the author.

Peers have the opportunity once the voxel has been uploaded to then like or dislike the voxel. You would then need to create an algorithm that converts this like/dislike to a certain percentage to then be used to compare against all other voxels in the database.

One must consider is users have certain weights which affect the percentage score for individual voxels, and how are these weights calculated?

And finally you will need to create a way for users to be able to peruse the voxels efficiently.

It's a big task.

I think a system developed by Newgrounds for their content would provide the best model for this problem.

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mortecha.... you misunderstood the idea. The way to submit voxels will always be 'posting a topic at the Voxels forum'.

The system would then gather new voxels from the posts extracted from that forum and a separate system would be used to store some data about the topics that are extracted. And this system would update the voxel listing in the site.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Orac wrote:
Bad-luck Orac #Tongue

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral and 42 other people liked "realistic erect penis voxel"...

Mortecha
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee wrote:
Mortecha.... you misunderstood the idea. The way to submit voxels will always be 'posting a topic at the Voxels forum'.

The system would then gather new voxels from the posts extracted from that forum and a separate system would be used to store some data about the topics that are extracted. And this system would update the voxel listing in the site.

Sounds like a much simpler idea to implement.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It be interesting to see how this plays out, some how Imagined PPM going the routes of pinterest and tumblr.  #Tongue.

I think spotlighting could be useful as a concept.. its like news post "spotlighting" a random series of older work in groups of five. like look at these relics here, written in a manner of attenborough/ documentary describes the merits of these voxels in a sort of anthropological view, peering in the insights of human development and advancement rituals of modding..."during this age, a number of voxel artists had been enthralled to create the shape of what is known as M1A1 abrams tank, this is viewed as a popular type of shape to create, eventually became a precursor, as its future manifestation, know as GDI, Titan. soon replaced it in its popularity", I jest, I jest. <3

but really a bit of a shout out to those that made 'em, similar to the voxel judging, but more so their work isn't forgotten with time?

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My suggestion for categorizing these voxels.

TS Voxel

• Ground
  • Air
  • Navy

RA2 Voxel

• Ground
  • Air
  • Navy

You can add like poll system for each voxel, much like a rating system with 1 being bad, low quality to 5 being the best, high quality.

Navy Voxel for TS should be included. Who knows if someone who is making TS Mod wants to have navy units in their game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [27 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!