Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am
All times are UTC + 0
Aircraft Carrier
Moderators: Global Moderators, OpenRA Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject:  Aircraft Carrier
Subject description: Aircraft Carrier OpenRA naval unit
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Original post: here

I have updated this naval unit a little bit.

WHAT'S NEW
I made it 25% smaller and it now features 32 positions (32 frames).

TODO:
- Modify lights and shadows
- Add waves hitting the hull
- Team Colors are not yet implemented.
- Add turrets
- Add a heliport
- It would be cool to be able to create aircrafts or helicopters (to do this, maybe the player would have to stop the aircraft carrier first)

BUGS
PS: It doesn't work yet.

OpenRA crashes after selecting the Naval Yard.

Here is the last exception.log error report I had: http://pastebin.com/8QiRJQiT

I NEED HELP
Here is where I have uploaded the ac.shp file :
https://github.com/xanax/OpenRA/commits/bleed

Thanks for helping me.

Last edited by xanax on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fixed.

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you post a feature request for a carrier trait that can truely rearm/repair aircraft while also still being mobile at http://bugs.open-ra.org please?

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure Mailaender. Here it is : #4157

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update:
I have added two turrets. (Teamcolors still not implemented)

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even if a carrier which has planes and turrets might be a bit OP, the asymmetric turret layout does look very nice. Do the turrets work independent? Can they target only AA? Would it be possible to make them fire and destroy only incoming projectiles like other missiles?

I'm not sure, but i think the perspective is a bit off. I think TD/RA1 are rendered in 40-45° camera angle, not the 30° isometric view of TS/RA2.

Colors and style should also be changed to match a bit more the RA1 style. e.g. a fully remappable island (command center) matching in design and colors the other ships.

Other than that, it's nice to see some OpenRA modding. Smile

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Lin Kuei Ominae.

Quote:
Even if a carrier which has planes and turrets might be a bit OP, the asymmetric turret layout does look very nice. Do the turrets work independent? Can they target only AA? Would it be possible to make them fire and destroy only incoming projectiles like other missiles?

It's just a WIP unit. In fact, it's a request by Scott (one of our talented OpenRA developers) who wanted an aircraft carrier for a particular mission. I planed to use turrets as anti-air weapons but Scott doesn't seem happy with them. Maybe this would make the unit too powerful. But I like them so I might consider weaken them a little bit. About what they can target, I guess it's possible to modify the .yaml files to make them target only one kind of enemies, or anything. OpenRA is really flexible on that regard (but I don't think it's possible for them to counter incoming projectiles/missiles).

Quote:
I'm not sure, but i think the perspective is a bit off. I think TD/RA1 are rendered in 40-45° camera angle, not the 30° isometric view of TS/RA2.

About the camera angle, I used strict 45°.

Quote:
Colors and style should also be changed to match a bit more the RA1 style. e.g. a fully remappable island (command center) matching in design and colors the other ships.

Yes I know I should make it more 'compatible' with RA1's style. But as a "modder newbie" like me, it's not that easy. Aircraft Carriers have dark decks.. It's not easy to make them look like a RA1 original unit.

The unit size is a problem too. I think it now has decent dimensions (compared to other ships) but Scott only wanted the AC to carry one aircraft.. while I think two aircrafts would be better. So I might resize the unit a little bit anyway.

Thanks for commenting !
PS: have you tried OpenRA ? You are a talented unit creator, we would benefit a lot from your help on mods, tiles, units, ideas, tests ...
Join our IRC channel and we'll discuss. Smile

EVA-251
General

Also Known As: evanb90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a thought, but Carriers don't necessarily have to have dark decks.
RA is within the timeframe of having a wood deck, and you can also use a lighter gray, either ship hull or merely a non-black

Excellent work regardless.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xanax wrote:
Yes I know I should make it more 'compatible' with RA1's style. But as a "modder newbie" like me, it's not that easy. Aircraft Carriers have dark decks.. It's not easy to make them look like a RA1 original unit.

If you want, i can send you a 3dsmax file with the gunboat and moving animation that i did for the DTA TD gunboat.

It uses 3dsmax materials only (no bitmap for textures, just combinations of Noise and other maps, so all you need is the max file only)
Then you could check the lighting setup, textures (which match TD and thus should also RA1) and the particle system for the wave motion.

xanax wrote:

The unit size is a problem too. I think it now has decent dimensions (compared to other ships) but Scott only wanted the AC to carry one aircraft.. while I think two aircrafts would be better. So I might resize the unit a little bit anyway.

Can't the OpenRA devs add bigger unit foundations? In TD the gunboat had a 3x1 foundation and i think it would be great if ships would take up more space than normal units. (Pathfinding will be probably a pain to code though)

xanax wrote:
have you tried OpenRA ? You are a talented unit creator, we would benefit a lot from your help on mods, tiles, units, ideas, tests ...
Join our IRC channel and we'll discuss. Smile

No, i haven't tried OpenRA. You can always ask questions here and i'll try to help if i can. But i don't have the time to mod OpenRA, since TI and DTA take up pretty much all my time. Wink
I'm not a fan of chat (ask Aro or Bittah, they'll tell you about my Skype and chat online activity, which is almost nonexistant Smile)

Public SHPs

Tools

xanax
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
If you want, i can send you a 3dsmax file with the gunboat and moving animation that i did for the DTA TD gunboat.

Sure, it would be very kind of you if you sent me this file. Thanks !
That will help me a lot understanding how you, mod experts, do your units and all your artwork stuff.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

It uses 3dsmax materials only (no bitmap for textures, just combinations of Noise and other maps, so all you need is the max file only)
Then you could check the lighting setup, textures (which match TD and thus should also RA1) and the particle system for the wave motion.

Wow, these boats are impressive, they look really good.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
No, i haven't tried OpenRA. You can always ask questions here and i'll try to help if i can. But i don't have the time to mod OpenRA, since TI and DTA take up pretty much all my time. Wink
I'm not a fan of chat (ask Aro or Bittah, they'll tell you about my Skype and chat online activity, which is almost nonexistant Smile)

ok, thanks for you help.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

xanax wrote:
Sure, it would be very kind of you if you sent me this file. Thanks !
That will help me a lot understanding how you, mod experts, do your units and all your artwork stuff.

Note: Due to DTA's 32 facings hack for the TS engine, the first camera direction isn't directly north but something northeast. So don't wonder why the 3dsmax file has this weird camera direction for the start of the frames.

Public SHPs

Tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum