Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:48 am
All times are UTC + 0
FS Pools and Precipices (2-6)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Disgrace
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject:  FS Pools and Precipices (2-6) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As thanks for helping me out, and the resources on the forum, I'm sharing what is my first map for Tiberian Sun. I made dozens of maps for Yuri's Revenge back in the day (all forever lost), but I caught the bug again very recently.

Tiberium is quite abundant and safe but building space is limited and many features make life difficult for the player dependant on land-based units.

I've tested it exhaustively so I hope you'll find few errors and find it fun to play.

Disclaimer: the invisible green light posts are a custom building to make the lighting much less visible. Will they work for those without the building in their rules.ini?

0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.24 KB
 Viewed:  8066 Time(s)

0.jpg

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  491.36 KB

1.jpg

2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  490.15 KB

2.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  493.39 KB

3.jpg

Pools and Precipices.mpr
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Pools and Precipices.mpr
 Filesize:  356.91 KB
 Downloaded:  162 Time(s)

Last edited by Disgrace on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:39 pm; edited 5 times in total

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks very good from the screenshots! If I were you, I'd increase the lighting around the Tiberium patches to make them glow more.

Quote:
Disclaimer: the invisible green light posts are a custom building to make the lighting much less visible. Will they work for those without the building in their rules.ini?

Not unless you've included all of the building code in the map file itself (by opening it with a Word-/NotePad and copy-pasting there).

Q45
Tiberian Fiend

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very good indeed! Those tiberium patches look great (apart from the too low green lighting like Crim already said) and the little details like the abandoned TD base are a big plus.

I think I spotted a few cliff errors in all those pics, you should check them out.

Twisted Insurrection's Lead Campaign Developer

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fond of formations where water is completely surrounded by cliffs. Like near player location 5
(waypoint 4). They look even better in snow maps with cracked ice and water.

Noticed MCV starting as Elite because of InitialVeteran=yes under [SpecialFlags].

INGRNLMP2 in this map does not work for others who don't have it defined. Workaround is,
can replace INGRNLMP2 to INGRNLMP by opening the map in a text editor. INGRNLMP already exist in
rules.ini and its parameters can be overwritten in map itself by defining [INGRNLMP] with partial
set of parameters (with lowered green values) like

[INGRNLMP]
LightVisibility=3000
LightIntensity=0.01
LightRedTint=0.01
LightGreenTint=1.22
LightBlueTint=0.01

DaRkGlAcEoN
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks nice, I might give the map a try

4StarGeneral wrote:
I CAN USE CAPS TOO, HOW DOES IT FEEL?

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is indeed a very good 'first' map. Obviously you got pretty good with doing RA2/YR maps before trying your hand at TS/FS ones.

The only cliff errors I spotted in my quick check were the connecter pieces for corner areas when changing directions and you had these in quite a few places and most of the places you didn't have them appeared to me as if perhaps you had them but then accidentally put LAT over top of them.
But you used pretty much everything correctly such as the land/water transition cliff pieces to note.

The layout is pretty darn awesome. though i feel some start positions are a little more easy to defend than others due to inaccessible cliffs around them with only 2 smaller entrances to the actual base area. meanwhile another is pretty open with water outlets coming into the base land as well as the 2 main land routes.

As far as detailing and other gimmicks.
the ground detailing is nice. Some would say you have your grass a little close to areas of tiberium but that's a personal taste on how tiberium should effect the lands.
One thing that kinda bothers me is the little old TD base there. I like it...to the exception of the GDI War Factory and the Temple of Nod both being in the same old TD base #Tongue and the fact that there's 4 ghost stalkers there inside of it...might make a player a little angry if they decide to route forces through there before attacking the nearby enemy base...
The lighting seems overall nice, but I agree there could be a little more glow on the tiberium fields. I do think that you need to keep it a neutralish glow color wise though seeing as in most cases your fields compose of both green and blue tiberium and their respective 'tib trees'.

Also in your 1.png pic there you can fix one of those messed up cliff shadow errors by replacing that water cliff with a normal cliff seeing as the visible ground is already behind the cliffs at that point.

finally I'll add that I haven't gotten to play it yet and probably won't for awhile due to some issues but anyways good job. I hope to see more maps from you in here. Maybe bring back some life to the ol' public mapping forum.

Disgrace
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feedback guys, especially for the text editing solution.

Latest version uploaded includes some cliff fixes (hopefully the last), a ramp fix and newly-enhanced green lighting using the lamp posts everyone already has.

Very Happy

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Haven't seen a new map being made for TS for a quite a time.
From lookiing at the map, it does looks very detailed and interesting. Though I'm not sure why you put ammo crates into middle of nowhere in the forests. Usually, they are placed in cities or outpost with activity of military presence.

Much like what Ixith said, I want to see more new maps as well too. Nice job on the map.

Disgrace
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all, I've overhauled this map to bring it up to my current standard.

New features:

- Darker overall lighting and better colour constrast.
- Improved balance between base locations.
- More and improved triggers.
- More details: cliffs/trees/textures.
- Heavily defended mutant base - I wonder what they're hiding?
- Sneaky mutants everywhere.

Enjoy! Very Happy

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Not bad. I feel that the bottom left corner player is strong because there is only one way access on ground, that means it is easy to stack up a lot of defense right there.

Nice eye renake, I like dark and mutantish atmosphere.

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awersome!!!!.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon