Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:35 pm
All times are UTC + 0
[REQ ]TS Random Map Generator + concept
Moderators: Ares Support Team at PPM, Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Would you be happy if this was in game?
Yes, it's great
41%
 41%  [ 5 ]
No, i'm satisfied with the vanilla RMG
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 12

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:  [REQ ]TS Random Map Generator + concept Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello! I've been messing around with random maps and remembered the old topic about random map generators. I doubt it's hard for Ares developers to add some sliders and lists which control some XXX=XXX in the map file. So, I went ahead and made a couple concepts. Not perfect but good enogh for me. Also ,the progress bar appears under the buttons (like Surprise Me!)

P.S. Transitions should be day-night cycle in maps. Correct me if i'm wrong.

generator2.png
 Description:
Second concept
 Filesize:  203.23 KB
 Viewed:  3221 Time(s)

generator2.png

generator1.png
 Description:
First concept
 Filesize:  201.86 KB
 Viewed:  3221 Time(s)

generator1.png

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm happy that you want TS RMG. Would you be kind enough to vote for it?

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really custom maps are infinitely better than any randomly generated map. I can't imagine it worth the effort at all to simply add more options to the existing generator without completely remaking it to be far better and more usable first, which will never happen.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Someone may like a simple map which is not hand-made map which may inclue lots of details. It's like someone loves the effects of Windows 7 and someone likes the simplicity of Windows 8.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah but the RA2 generator already does that.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It does but what about custom ore amount? Lots of small patches or a couple big ones? What about lakes? What about custom amount of cliffs and hills, etc.? What about that? RA2 gives you an option to select terrain type and amount of resources but not as customized as TS. Anyway, everyone has his own opinion.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the difference between setting Cliffs to 20 and 21?

The whole TS concept about such random maps were lolz and I'm glad RA2 GUI hides all of it.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parasite03 wrote:
I'm happy that you want TS RMG. Would you be kind enough to vote for it?

Before I posted, the vote was given from me!  Very Happy

And I agree a little with the others. Maybe it is better if it is not axactly like in TS FS, I mean to have option from 0-100. Maybe 0,25,50,75,100. Some like that will be simplier and not that crowded. Really what is the deference between 20 and 21?  Laughing

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I respect what you think, what Graion thisks and what other think, but everyone has his own opinion. I consider this good, someone disagrees and someone doesn't mind if this gets implemented.

AlexB
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ares already adds some options to the RMG, like Desert maps and some other things. Adding more customizable randomness might not have a big influence. A change like this is most likely not worth the trouble.

Graion Dilach wrote:
What's the difference between setting Cliffs to 20 and 21?

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WARNING: THIS IS NOT AN OPINION, THIS IS THE TRUTH.
Just download custom maps, they're all better than anything RNG can make. There's hundreds of thousands out there by now.

Seriously, improving the Random Map Generator is a fruitless waste of time that the Ares team can pass on. There are FAR more requests, many of more importance (i.e. fixing bugs) that need attention.
Again, just download custom maps, people put tons of time into making them for people to play with.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The poll is flawed. It's missing two good options. Option 3 should be "Nobody gives a shit" and Option 4 should be something else involving a particular member being some sort of insulting word.

Steam

Last edited by FurryQueen on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral is right. Especially if a new map editor is in the works...

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People still use the RMG? Seriously though I can see more time dedicated for more useful additions to the Game though.

Custom Maps are there which are tons better and don't have nasty map errors the RMG puts out. like trees spawning on the area where the MCV can't deploy once match starts or Uneven Ore Distribution making certain players on the map more dominant.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would vote to ignore this 'request' as usability of RMG is limited and expanding it compared to more important features needed is waste of time and effort.

Only reason you can want this improved, is that you can't map for shit yourself.

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Parasite03, I agree with your ideas that there should be more options already in random map generator, those all could be used, but I agree with majority that implementing this would require lot of time, especially when we expect more useable features for Ares to add.

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
Custom Maps are there which are tons better and don't have nasty map errors the RMG puts out. like trees spawning on the area where the MCV can't deploy once match starts or Uneven Ore Distribution making certain players on the map more dominant.

Haha! I even remember that it placed once rock right near MCV so it could not deploy, I need to move it.
Westwood should fix that by removing anything to be placed in 10x10 cells  round starting units.

PPM Halloween Season 2021

Orac
President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't care at all.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I removed the RMG in my mod so meh...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Droke
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I loved using the RMG when playing in TS. The natural feel and unpredictable enemy placement was enjoyable. However, I'd say that it isn't worth the time in Ares. Not only does the YR terrain not fit the naturalization as well (In my personal opinion), it gets worse if you start building custom terrain. I am going to have to find a way to flat out remove it in my mod as I will rely heavily on custom terrain.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In mpmodesmd.ini you can disable the RMG for each game mode (probably so you cant use it in co-op etc), just set the last section to false.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Droke
Scorpion Sniper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to know, thanks Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon