Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:15 pm
All times are UTC + 0
The WarFactory is in dire need of help.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject:  The WarFactory is in dire need of help.
Subject description: The Empire of the Rising Sun will send Sea Wings to destroy your home if you do not cooperate!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The War Factory, our hosted Red Alert 3 mod, is in dire need of 3D modelers to help them. The objective of the mod is to increase the amount of units from the 3 factions of the game and share these units with the community. Zengar Zombolt, the mod leader, is so desperate that he posted this:

Quote:
This is the end. I have a Final shot at this, so I'll take it here, were my Main CnC modding began.

There is just about no one left in RA3 modding, and I ask if anyone wants to help This attempt to show some light at the end of the CnC modding timeline.

Anyone would be nice, but any 3d cnc experience would be great. TW or (probably not) Ra3 experience would be best

PPM has had the whole rainbow of CnC modding, from Dune to Tib Wars. But I hope that the last of the RA3 mods ends with a bang, not a whimper.

Likewise our Red Alert 3 modding forums, The War Factory forums also don't seem to get much activity at all. And honestly, I do not understand why there are so few people modding this team. After all, it is the latest game powered by the SAGE engine with official modding support. Even the activity from the Tiberium Wars editing forums is much higher than Red Alert 3 counterparts, which means that the restriction of using 3ds max only to create models is not the only obstacle for that game.

So, even if you are unable to help The War Factory, provide us some feedback on what could make Red Alert 3 more attractive for modders.

And finaly, if you have a RA3 mod and you want a forums and a webspace to get some feedback, we can host your mod here.

Last edited by Banshee on Wed May 14, 2014 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When it comes to me, i only like modding games which i liked playing in the first place.
Since the newer C&Cs are imo crap, i don't invest modding time to improve them to a point where i like them. In case of RA3, only a total conversion would make it playable for me. And a TC is something huge, almost unreachable for a single person, so i for myself don't see any chance to improve a bad game via modding into something good. Thus i don't waste my time on something that i dislike.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

From a creators stand point. Creating Stuff from 3D is harder for me (I don't know how to use 3D Programs like Blender or Autodesk mind you...) so I prefer making stuff in 2d like Photoshop or by extent Voxelling.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's taken me a decade to learn how to fully mod RA2, I'd rather put that knowledge to use instead of spending years to learn a whole new engine.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would help but then I dont know how to make 3D Mpdel. Only if someone will give hand on help, asked some people and they arent willing to make video tutorial, (wtb people who are willing) like light tower for example. I'm visual learner, and Blender didnt do a good job on making tutorial on how to make gingerbread man. They make it more confusing and complex.

Also, not many players plays RA3. Because it's lame that EA brought out uprising and it has no multiplayer.just challenges.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know how to 3d model as well. I am thankful for public assets, and give credit where credit is due.

I could use Any help, not just 3d modelers! Texture work, coding, Converting assets, Anything.

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am not sure about what your mod is about exactly? From beyond what you have posted, such as porting units from other games and generally an experimentation with RA3 engine, which is not bad of itself. It just seem a little unclear what the objective is.

That kinda remind me of the hey-day of early RA modding. People making TD units in Red Alert. You had to replace units for it to work, and that engine limit, made up for some creative solutions. I recall someone replaced one of the ant units to make an animated GDI MLRS.

I think perhaps posting video tutorials, since you seem to have a the knowledge to so to generate interest of your capabilities. It seems more so you are advertising the RA3 engine as modder friendly, and you want to pave the way for people to join you, to use it and experiment.

Last edited by Ickus on Wed May 14, 2014 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know, i got really nostalgic when accessing RADEN i saw what would become RA3, i still like RA3, too bad i have problems running it in my pc;
I'm not sure what's holding RA2 modders, maybe the need to relearn everything as mig said, maybe the nostalgia that holds the community, maybe we just don't have too many support ( i mean, compared to RA2, it seems RA3 doesn't have anything like ares, tutorials, etc).

As Ickus said, maybe tutorials and some help might get people interested, as initially making a 3d model really is kinda hard...

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ickus wrote:
I am not sure about what your mod is about exactly? From beyond what you have posted, such as porting units from other games and generally an experimentation with RA3 engine, which is not bad of itself. It just seem a little unclear what the objective is.

There are two parts to my mod.

The WarFactory Is a general enhancing mod, adding units and overall improving RA3's gameplay as well as adding older elements like capture tech buildings that do things. There was going to be a Zero hour Style Generals deal if I had the skill.

Operation Scorpion is a spin off I was planning to add whole factions in the RA3 play style. With naval units, tech sets and so on. It was going to involve a lot of reskins. The First two factions I had almost fully planned out being GDI and Yuri, in hopes of breaking the Yuri Curse on RA3(how many Yuri mods have failed?)

I would post video tutorials except I am not good at video work. I did post one, that IS on this very forum And as you can see, it is so-so at best. If there were something between WMM and something $400,  I'd like to take another crack...

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the thing. I know the ra2 people wont help. by why are the few gens and cnc3 people not showing up? I know here are a few, and excecialy cnc3 and ra3 are so similar.

Ickus
General

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i think you are looking at it in a odd way, can't force people to jump into RA3 just for the sake it, your best bet is also dig out MoDDB with what you are looking for specifically. Maybe a more current RA3 modder group exists or a mod project is out there, (sorry didnt check) I recall a neat one, with Yuri/yuriko side which sounds cool and would be nice to see re-imagined, as you have a profile there....but think of it like automotive tinkering, some people like tinkering with their Fords, Chevys, Volkswagens, but others don't care about make or model and will use whatever chassis to get their project running.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zengar_Zombolt wrote:
Here's the thing. I know the ra2 people wont help. by why are the few gens and cnc3 people not showing up? I know here are a few, and excecialy cnc3 and ra3 are so similar.

Modelling for General and modelling for C&C3/RA3 are different things. Yes, you both create models, but for the latter you require lots more other stuff then a model, an UWV unwrap and a texture due to how those games work with the models.
And to put it bluntly: people here barely care about anything newer then RA2YR (and Generals to some extend).

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sure if you could give me the Technical Knowledge of 3D Modeling and all the know-how needed and 3DS Max, A Computer that can process all of this.

Sure...

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I dont need 3D modelers! I NEED CODERS. I need help, and Banshee put the post together because I'm bad at making news, and I don't want to mess up on the main page.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How hard would the coding be compared to the TD/RA & Generals Code though?

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

outside of matching animations to animation code(always was a pain) only a little harder than ra2 coding.

I never coded generals. I went from RA2 to RA3

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Really I think you're approaching it completely wrong. There is no point in keeping RA3 modding alive for the sake of it. I don't know why anyone would simply jump to help make random assets and things just for the sake of RA3 modding. What you should do IMO is actually work on an interesting mod. If RA3 is worth modding then show us what you can do with the engine. If you work on a cool project then people will be interested. Just making assets or 'plugins' isn't that great IMO, especially since most people aren't even into RA3 gameplay enough to only want slight improvements.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OmegaBolt wrote:
Really I think you're approaching it completely wrong. There is no point in keeping RA3 modding alive for the sake of it. I don't know why anyone would simply jump to help make random assets and things just for the sake of RA3 modding. What you should do IMO is actually work on an interesting mod. If RA3 is worth modding then show us what you can do with the engine. If you work on a cool project then people will be interested. Just making assets or 'plugins' isn't that great IMO, especially since most people aren't even into RA3 gameplay enough to only want slight improvements.

I think you might have read an older version of my mod, back when there was an RA3 modding scene. But my mod is a mod. A full adds things htat fir the faction improvement mod, and a spin off that changes the factions, storyless mod that would be part and parcel on ra2, but are sorly missing on Sage modding.

Also I am a little bad at explaning this mod because I did not have a good grasp on modding the four years ago I started it.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

why don't you join some other RA3 project?

RA3 modding isn't as popular as the 2D C&C ones because its way harder and takes much more effort to do anything decent.

So you're alone and so-so at modding RA3. Why are you doing 2 projects of your own then in the first place. You lack ressources manpower and knowledge to achieve that goal. I doubt you'd find any of that here. There's this simple rule to modding that one mods what he can.

I am sure you could find a nice team and mod on moddb or somewhere else Smile

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OrangeNero wrote:
why don't you join some other RA3 project?

Who's? Name an active RA3 mod?
Quote:

RA3 modding isn't as popular as the 2D C&C ones because its way harder and takes much more effort to do anything decent.

[quote]
So if it's harder, I should quit. Great message.
Quote:

So you're alone and so-so at modding RA3. Why are you doing 2 projects of your own then in the first place. You lack ressources manpower and knowledge to achieve that goal. I doubt you'd find any of that here. There's this simple rule to modding that one mods what he can.

I'm not. One project is if I get manpower. The main mod is a simple enhancement mod.
Quote:

I am sure you could find a nice team and mod on moddb or somewhere else Smile

Were? Were are these RA3 mods? There is one maybe two RA3 mods on modDB that still update! Oh Great Orange Lead my hand![ /sarcasm.]

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The thing is, alot of us I don't think have the drive to learn something more complex than RA2 code. If we did, there would most likely be an RA3 mod (despite the lack of support from EA).

The other thing that stops people (or so I've heard) is the way that RA3's environment is "cartoony" which sets people away from it as well.

Otherwise these are just excuses and I don't really know why all these new modders we keep getting, or old modders, don't go to RA3. Intimidating I guess? I may tinker around in it sometime soon when I get a chance, as alot of people know, I've been kept pretty busy in the art department #Tongue

And to be honest, RA3 just wasn't a popular game, so I think that's another reason people don't mod it.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My main point of refraining from modding anything newer then Generals ZH is the fact that you can't simply edit a file, start the game, and see if it works. For C&C3 and RA3 you have to compile each time you want to see your changes ingame. Not to mention the sometimes cryptic error messages either the compiler or the game itself gives when you've done something wrong.
I do sometimes considering moving my GenZH mod towards C&C3, but until now the cons outweight the pros for me.

OrangeNero
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zengar_Zombolt wrote:

keep on lamentating its what you settled with apparently. I find it most amusing, you got good humor.
Quote:
Oh Great Orange Lead my hand!
gladly:

http://www.moddb.com/games/cc-red-alert-3/mods

some entries updated 1 - 2 months ago
most promising ongoing RA3 project? to me Generals Evolution.
yea RA3 modding looks grim so accept it or keep on lamentating.

Quote:
So if it's harder, I should quit. Great message.

You didn't get the message so here is it again. You gotta evaluate how difficult the task is and if you're capable of accomplishing it. You say you ain't but you don't accept it. if its too hard you have to either quit or set the goal lower.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [23 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!