Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:05 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Encypted mixes...
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2 [60 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:14 am    Post subject:  Encypted mixes... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before I start please can we try and avoid total chaos in this thread.

I recently downloaded the very hyped Mental Omega 3.0, I've never really liked Mental Omega but I gave it ago anyway. The mod had some interesting features I wanted to look into, so i started up XCC Mixer and discovered MO's mixes where encrypted. To put it lightly I was outraged, all that useful code greedily locked away, privatised. All I wanted to do was have a look though the Rulesmd.ini and give the Cubans that Russian Wolfhound chopper, I'm not intrested in the art, just the code. Modding should open be to everyone. Westwood and EA could have quite easily encrypted the whole of RA2 and YR making modding impossible.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wolfhound is just typical BalloonHover Unit with 2 Weapons... how complex is that? Confused

You don't need to pry into another mod just to figure that out.

Cavalier Tank is Gatling Tank.

Irkalla is a GattlingCycling Unit with 24 Weapons.

Opus Tank is IFV with dummy IFV slots.

Lasher Tank uses Ammo Logic.

Drakuv uses Chrono Prison Abductor Logic.

Jaguar Tank uses Custom Crew

Resheph uses Custom Missile

Hailstorm & Gehenna are Land Aircraft Carriers

Buratino & Ivan Bombs use Particle Spawning

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It has nothing to do with anything you suggested, i know all that. what i want to do is very differcult to explain and trust me you wouldn't care.

gistop
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah, but there is one thing that I personally have always wondered about. How does Libra's gravity field work?

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cue asset protection debate in 3... 2... 1...

Shadow Hunter
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might want to take an search in the forums, i think there has been at least 2 topics of explanations on how to open .mix files.

You also can wait for speeder to post the code or PM him to get the rulesmd.ini for you; there hasn't been a topic about this where there wasn't an long debate. Laughing

Also inb4 shitstorm.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shadow Hunter wrote:
You might want to take an search in the forums, i think there has been at least 2 topics of explanations on how to open .mix files.

You also can wait for speeder to post the code or PM him to get the rulesmd.ini for you; there hasn't been a topic about this where there wasn't an long debate. Laughing

Also inb4 shitstorm.

Quote:
All I wanted to do was have a look though the Rulesmd.ini and give the Cubans that Russian Wolfhound chopper

You said it yourself what you wanted from the Wolfhound. Its basically that.

Speeder doesn't want to explain how they did the Libra Gravity Field.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

switchblade16
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a bad feeling about this :/

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
To put it lightly I was outraged, all that useful code greedily locked away, privatised.

Come up with your own ideas, try to mod them and see what the engine can do.
Copy&Pasting code = lame.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there is nothing wrong in locking your own effort

I wouldn't be surprised that TS Odyssey does the same (if it ever comes out)

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gistop wrote:
How does Libra's gravity field work?

Huge damage on animation, 0% verses vs everything, Rocker=yes.

And ffs, look at all the idiots who can't even realize what they're seeing. There's not much superb coding tweaks within MO's ini.

Also, may all of you rippers die in a fire. Violently.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graion Dilach wrote:

btw can TS do the same ?
I think someone in past said no WH can have 0% on all except repair drone

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Come up with your own ideas, try to mod them and see what the engine can do.
Copy&Pasting code = lame.

You don't understand, I just said it had some interesting features, nothing I couldn't replicate on my own, i don't need to copy and paste anything. In fact what i want to test can be done in mental omega, I don't even need to transfer any code to my own mod. Plus I don't want MO's idea, i've already said I personally don't like the mod Mental Omega.

Quote:
And ffs, look at all the idiots who can't even realize what they're seeing. There's not much superb coding tweaks within MO's ini.

Also, may all of you rippers die in a fire. Violently.

What i wrote above also applys here. By the way since when was I a ripper??? I don't want to take anything from MO. I knew Graion would somehow find a way to tell me to die or something else over the top, seeing as he has a pointless hatred of me for some unknown reason.

The point is Mental Omega shouldn't have protected mixes anyway. Countless other mods don't protect there mixes, including big ones like TI and DOTA (thats what it's called right?).

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just say out what you want instead of being all cryptic and ztype. -_-

Like people said the ideas in MO isn't all that out of this world though...

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've said what i want to do you couldn't care less about. Nothing anyone here can help with really either.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
The point is Mental Omega shouldn't have protected mixes anyway.

And who are you to tell us what to do with our work?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, let's keep mixes open, so everyone can use the gfx without even asking us for permission and giving any credits. It's not like it happened with MO 2.0, right?

Newsflash: if you want to know how something works, you can simply come to irc and ask us. Or PM someone about it. Or just open a topic like "can anyone help me how to make a unit similar to Wolfhound from MO?". Is it that hard?

We don't hide any knowledge from people, and if we would have time, we would most likely answer. But apparently you prefer to rage about protection and how unfair it is, rather than ask.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
I've said what i want to do you couldn't care less about. Nothing anyone here can help with really either.

You asked how to make the Wolfhound.

Just give it a Primary with Missiles that cannot target Infantry and target Air Units Armor & a Secondary which can target Infantry.

Your the one not giving us enough information of what your really after.

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder wrote:
dodgevipergts wrote:
The point is Mental Omega shouldn't have protected mixes anyway.

And who are you to tell us what to do with our work?

Clearly we both have very different views on whether asset protection is right or wrong. But I will firmly believe the privatisation of modding assets is wrong, i think all assets should be public, no one should own them. You obviously disagree, encrypting the art is one thing. But what makes it so bad is that the inis are protected as well.

Last edited by dodgevipergts on Wed May 28, 2014 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
dodgevipergts wrote:

You asked how to make the Wolfhound.

Just give it a Primary with Missiles that cannot target Infantry and target Air Units Armor & a Secondary which can target Infantry.

Your the one not giving us enough information of what your really after.
I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A WOLFHOUND, I never did, if if i did want to I wouldn't need MO's help. I just said i wanted to give it to the confederation, for a test I wanted to do. This test you probably won't be able to help me with, plus you couldn't give a damn, trust me.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
But I will firmly believe the privatisation of modding assets is wrong, i think all assets should be public, no one should own them..

Make your own content and then you are welcome to open a charity, which by the way this community is not. We didn't make our stuff for others to use in their precious mods, otherwise we would release the assets to the public.

The code on the other hand was never protected so your argument is invalid.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder wrote:
dodgevipergts wrote:
But I will firmly believe the privatisation of modding assets is wrong, i think all assets should be public, no one should own them..

Make your own content and then you are welcome to open a charity, which by the way this community is not. We didn't make our stuff for others to use in their precious mods, otherwise we would release the assets to the public.
I meant in general. I coundn't care less about your art.

Quote:
Really? Can you send me MO 3.0 Rules and Art inis then please.

Josh Is 25% Larger
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The mix files are not encrypted. Their header is just corrupted.
The raw data(such as rules codes) is visible if you open the mix in a HEX editor.

Do someone know what DCoder planned to do with mix files with his cancelled program "MIX Scramble"?
If not to difficult I may finish what he planned Smile

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speeder wrote:

Really? Are you charging for your mod? If not, looks like you are indeed giving your work away for free for people to enjoy (assuming a public release of the mod of course). You just are't giving a license to reuse part of the mod in other works. In other words, you are being charitable to people who just want to play mods, but not to people who want to make them.

As an aside, the .ini files are all plain text and can be pulled more or less intact from a mix file just by opening one in an editor and scrolling through it until you find the ini file text, regardless of any "protection" placed upon them.

Mix Scramble? If it was to improve protection, he could have intended to corrupt the body size as current protection does and then add the normal blowfish encryption to the header. That would make it slightly more difficult to create an extractor and considerably more difficult to recover any files armed only with a hex editor save for the .ini files.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
Really? Can you send me MO 3.0 Rules and Art inis then please.

No, the rules and art that I have right now are the latest WIP versions so I'm not sharing them. You can easily preview the code in the mixes with standard tools.

Blade wrote:
In other words, you are being charitable to people who just want to play mods, but not to people who want to make them.

By the "community" I did not mean the Mental Omega players but the RA2&YR modders.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Exley wrote:
Graion Dilach wrote:

btw can TS do the same ?
I think someone in past said no WH can have 0% on all except repair drone

Wink

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
No, the rules and art that I have right now are the latest WIP versions so I'm not sharing them. You can easily preview the code in the mixes with standard tools.

I don't know whats wrong with sending the WIP versions? Once I've done my test I can delete the inis anyway. I want to do a tiny amount of editing to MO's rules, so just browsing them in a hex editor is no good. Does anyone have MO 3.0 rules and art inis?

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
Does anyone have MO 3.0 rules and art inis?

Graion Dilach
Speeder
mevitar(?)

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts, I already gave you instructions on how to retrieve them.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts, if you interested with their "weapon" coding, try to learn to make them step by step, it will solve your problem Wink

And also, my Havoc Chopper's missile fire is crappy but almost similar to MO's Wolfhound rockets

DerxwnaKapsyla
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:

It's less about "we wouldn't care" and more about understanding exactly what you want, so people can point you in the right direction. Basically right now what you're saying is coming off - to everyone - as "Hi I am a modder and I want to do something that requires Mental Omega's mixes, but I don't want to tell anybody what it is". Seeing as how the community has had issues with people being secretive like this, stealing content from mods and the sort, it's only natural that people - developers specifically - would want clarification on what exactly it is you want done. I mean, you've got people in this thread - some very large names in the community - asking "What exactly is it you want", and they know exactly what the engine can and can't do. Honestly, I don't see why you're so secretive about the whole situation.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DerxwnaKapsyla wrote:
Honestly, I don't see why you're so secretive about the whole situation.

In what side you can say if he is so secretive? Im curious

DerxwnaKapsyla
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deathreaperz wrote:
DerxwnaKapsyla wrote:
Honestly, I don't see why you're so secretive about the whole situation.

In what side you can say if he is so secretive? Im curious

I claim secrecy because people keep asking "What is it you want to do", obviously expressing some level of interest in what they want, only to be met with the same reaction "What I want to do, you wouldn't care for". Despite people showing interest, they continue to claim nobody would show interest. It kind of screams secrecy to me, as well as probably anyone else who is reading this thread.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's seems true, Derxwna. Anyway, dodgevipergts, i think you don't have a will on modding (in my sight)

mevitar
Missile Trooper

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As Blade wrote, the inis aren't encrypted (and even if we'd want to encrypt them, we couldn't), so you can get the rules by a simple open file and copy+paste. This is how people that have them now got them in the first place.

If you don't want to bother with that (but i don't see a reason why), go to the MO forums and ask for them, they are circulating among various people. I don't have the inis from the current public version myself, so if you'd ask me, i could only give you a year old ini.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

even you changed the .ini extension (ex: .ini to .iykwim), you still can open it with anything (notepad, hex editor, etc). No one can encrypt text files (my opinion)

Renegade
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

36 responses so far?
Am I the only one who thought OP was quite obviously trolling?

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know where people have got the idea I want to make a Wolfhound from, I've been modding C&C  for getting on for 7 years now, I know how to make a attack chopper and anything else in MO.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Encypted mixes... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dodgevipergts wrote:
All I wanted to do was have a look though the Rulesmd.ini and give the Cubans that Russian Wolfhound chopper, I'm not intrested in the art, just the code.

Do you have such short-term memory? Mad

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant confederation not cubans.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cuba is the Confederation in the INIs.

Its the Ka-50.

What your saying now is you want the Voxel.

Azri_Apoc's said his voxels are exclusive to Mental Omega except for those ones he's made publicly available.

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

NO!! all i want to do is give the Russian Wolfhound to the confederation in 'MO' inis not any other mods

DerxwnaKapsyla
Vehicle Drone

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OH I GET WHAT THEY WANT. THEY WANT TO GIVE THE WOLFHOUND TO THE LATIN CONFEDERATION. INSTEAD OF IT BEING RUSSIA EXCLUSIVE.
That IS it right? Because if so then that's fairly easy to do, all you'd need is the .ini files.

freedom fighter
General

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Which is as easy as,

[WOLFH]
Owner=Russians,Confederate,China
;RequiredHouses=Russians

or

[WOLFH]
Owner=Russians,Confederate,China
RequiredHouses=Confederate

Either way, you still ain't getting those MO inis. Case closed.

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Renegade wrote:
36 responses so far?
Am I the only one who thought OP was quite obviously trolling?

It is true that much of the point of this thread is my opposition to protecting and ownership of modding assets, but I'm not 'trolling'. I even stated at the start of this thread that I hoped there would be little chaos.

I'm going to try and explain what i want to do, it's very simple. All I want to do if give the Confederation the Wolfhound so i can see how many Wolfhounds it would take to defeat one of those Confederation heavy tank and other tests. I have conducted similar tests on various other mods and games, TI, DOTA, D-Day, OpenRA, TD, RA1, TS, Generals, CNC3, Act of War, World in Conflict etc. Even if the mods i mentioned in that list also don't release there assets to the public, they at least let you view them, edit them and use them privately. These tests probably seem pointless to you, but will be very useful infomation for me, for my EBFD mod. I can't be arssed to explain why this info would be useful, you wouldn't care anyway. Thats it, it's that simple. yet MO's mixes with destroyed headers are making this basic task a unnecessarily and pointless hassle.

Quote:
OH I GET WHAT THEY WANT. THEY WANT TO GIVE THE WOLFHOUND TO THE LATIN CONFEDERATION. INSTEAD OF IT BEING RUSSIA EXCLUSIVE.
That IS it right? Because if so then that's fairly easy to do, all you'd need is the .ini files.

That is correct. And yes it would be easy if i could get to the inis.

I would like to make it clear now for the 10th time i am NOT interested in the wolfhound or any of MO's assets, I'm not even working on a YR mod and I have already stated i PERSONALLY think MO is a terrible mod, as soon as i finally get these tests done I'll probably remove the mod from my computer.

Last edited by dodgevipergts on Wed May 28, 2014 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You've already been told how to get the INIs. Open the mix file in Notepad or another text editor and boom, INIs.

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's no support, if you want something you can either figure it out yourself, ask someone who has and wants to share the asset, wait for support or GTFO.

I can extract anything I want (ripperz fuckyea), haha!

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

switchblade16
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can anyone close this?  Shit this is confusing -_-

dodgevipergts
Chem Warrior

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RP wrote:
There's no support, if you want something you can either figure it out yourself, ask someone who has and wants to share the asset, wait for support or GTFO.

I can extract anything I want (ripperz fuckyea), haha!

You clearly haven't read my posts properly, I DON'T WANT ANYTHING AND I NEED TO FIGURE OUT NOTHING. I normally use the method Glukv48 suggested, but didn't seem to work on my last 2 attempts for some strange reason, i may try again later.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Page 1 of 2 [60 Posts] Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon