Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:44 am
All times are UTC + 0
RiverDelta (2)
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject:  RiverDelta (2) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Tiberian Sun multiplayer/skirmish map:

RiverDelta was my first map, done during 2005-06. Its the only one untouched by
modding stuffs. Was nice to see AI infantry taking different paths then.

Edit: Ver 1.1- Minor water correction under northeast bridges.
Edit 2: Version 1.2 - several fixes

RiverDelta.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.28 KB
 Viewed:  6163 Time(s)

RiverDelta.jpg

RiverDelta_1.2.rar
 Description:
Map 1.2

Download
 Filename:  RiverDelta_1.2.rar
 Filesize:  136.02 KB
 Downloaded:  70 Time(s)

riverdelta1.1.zip
 Description:
Map 1.1 Old

Download
 Filename:  riverdelta1.1.zip
 Filesize:  123.77 KB
 Downloaded:  106 Time(s)

Last edited by E1 Elite on Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ixith
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well for a first map it has some decent ups but there's much work needed yet. Not sure if you've learned more about mapping since you originally made this all those years ago so my later input may be a mute point if you have already improved...but here's my input based on the map in finalsun.

The general layout isn't too shabby. Perhaps a little large for a 2 player map but that's all right.

The biggest issue I saw almost instantly upon opening it up in FinalSun were all of the cliff errors and shore errors. If you don't have it yet I'd highly suggest getting the MarbleMadness addon for finalsun and learning how to use it to place cliffs correctly.
Dirts roads also have overlapping pieces here and there (which can be okay unless it creates a hard seam instead of a nice transition from piece to piece.)

There's also a bit of repetitive cliffs here and there but nothing too bad. There's also some blockiness in the cliff structure and areas of LAT. I suggest when placing LAT to use a 1x1 brush instead of the 2x2 or larger. Takes more time but the outcome almost always looks better as you tend to be able to make it look not as blocky.

If you get the cliffs and shores looking more pretty and placed correctly then I think that'll improve the map quality vastly. Then when you release another map we can get into the other things like the land/water transition pieces of the water cliff sets #Tongue

DarkVen9109
Pyro Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Time for some urbanish theme map!! I'm quite bored already in using the same map over and over again.

Downloaded

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Ixith, I loved your large number of good quality maps over the years and have them in my pack,
even those which are not in ppm I think.

In this map, cliffs/water shores are so messy that moving to a new map felt easier. Touch one piece and
have to do the whole section. After posting it yesterday, tried to fix water tiles under one of the
bridges and realized that I can comprehend but doing maps is still difficult for me. Trying to hide
water cliff to land transition, with rocks, now I find it humorous of what I did.

Your points well taken, but was not comfortable with using MM tiles at that time. It was a period of
transition from Yame to first beta Finalsun. Once rejected, never used, kind of case.

Posted now because I remembered the fun with threat rating node logic. When the human player gets bottom
of the screen player location, AI took different routes for attack, based on units that were near the
bridges. Also, destroy the bridge when the infantry comes near the bridge and they will go all the way
back to the center of the map. When bridge is repaired in time, they return back!!

I see more interest in you to teach a newbie than on my part to learn. Some interest still in gameplay
like 3rd side AI stuff got me modding TS again after a 6 years gap. And already satisfied with large
collection of user made maps including yours.

Team Black
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is some interesting stuff!

It's got one major problem though. See that tiberium on the top left? the harvesters aren't going to be able to get to that, giving the player a big disadvantage. The top 3 or 4 cells from the top of the map are always impassable, so you have to remember to adjust the map to accommodate.

Tiberian Odyssey mapping department. Discord
The Team Black Index

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks to all of you for trying.

I know of the unavailable tiberium, its only a decorative finish. There is additional tiberium
patch for that player. Tried to balance building space and map top boundary there. Increasing
map size is an option I didn't try then. And certainly, it is a biased map, towards the bottom
player on building space, distant tiberium patches and control of bridges, veinhole to the top
player.

Other than the mentioned ones, no deformations, less usage of lamps, bright lighting, no tiberium
in the middle to fight for, undamaged building/bridges, no triggered distractions to the battle
and a lot more, all part of my first map.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In early TS versions, water shores were impassable for land units, but had a bug, of units getting
stuck near water shores. Terrain characteristics like land/water or in between are represented by
numbers in the shore tem/sno files. These are used by the game for pathfinding. My fix by hex
editing the shore tem/sno, retained the impassability for thin water lanes and later TS versions
have made the shores almost passable for land units. Resulting in infantry/units doing the magic of
walking on thin water lanes and new MM showing them as intermittent water tiles.

Correcting the shore tiles would broaden the water lanes and affect the surrounding cliffs, that
is almost redoing this map. Attaching my fixed old shore tiles with which this map was made.

OldShoreTilesFix.zip
 Description:
Old shore tiles fixed

Download
 Filename:  OldShoreTilesFix.zip
 Filesize:  156.41 KB
 Downloaded:  63 Time(s)

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Map update version 1.2
- Fixed accessibility to corner tiberium patches, fixed dirt roads, tunnel etc.
- Shore tiles fixed (no need for old shore tiles fix in the previous post)
- Cliffs partially fixed (a lot remains to be fixed)
- Day-night cycle and map revealed variants included

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon