Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:19 pm
All times are UTC + 0
New Cliff system.
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:  New Cliff system. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Over the last two years I've been developing a new system of cliffs for D-day in 3DS Max, now after much experimentation and several weeks of nothing but rendering I've finished the first stage.

Four complete sets of different level cliff edges...

Each of these sets contains over 350 tiles, together they total 1,496 tiles in all, in comparison RA2 only has 42 cliff tiles in total!

I'm far from finished tho, the next stage is to make a modular ramp & joint system that will connect all four of the cliff levels together. Most of the prep work is done but I need to render and convert over 2,000 more tiles.

Once this mountainous task is finished I'll finally be able to make some very interesting map designs for D-day. In fact one of the main reasons for the lack of maps in D-day has been this new cliff system. I knew that any map I made would have to be redone once I'd finished these cliffs, a lot of my ideas for new maps would only be possible with these new cliffs too.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can you give more info about the "new cliff system"?
350 Tiles looks to me like you created a full circle and made for every 10° a 1x1 tile with 10 variations.

Do you plan some interactive cliff creation/removal with the cliffs working like a LAT, so trigger can change the landscape?
I'm really eager to see/know what new stuff this new system allows to do.

However the new system works, the new graphics are extremely nice.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, looks very cool and better than the original RA2 blocky cliff system.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn, this looks really really nice, who knew RA2 could look so good. As is LKO, I really want to know how you did this so this this maybe could be a new basis for future terrain Very Happy

Incredible job Mig, nice to see someone can still find something new to do with the engine!

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The only downside is that now the only way to place cliffs in the editor is... manual.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mmmm, I dig it. Will you make moon cliffs too?

For you know. The inevitable Nazi UFO moon mission. Wink

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks very nice. Hope there is no hardcoding or restriction for a cliff to be of a different height
than 4. Better to test a sample set in-game before working on lot of tiles.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Lin Kuei Ominae:

Nothing so elaborate, I guess "system" probably wasn't the best word to use. It works the same way as normal cliffs just that all the tiles & sets have been redone from scratch. There are 48 main tiles in each set (a few more for the 1 cell high cliffs) and then each of them has 8 variations, which the game will automatically pick from (8 is the max BTW, would have done more if I could).

Once I'm finished mountains will no longer just be 4 cell high box with a steep ramp. I'll be able to make staggered multi leveled cliff fronts with paths that wind in and out of rock formations.

@Parasite03:

I don't think I've every actually used the auto cliff tool #Tongue

E1 Elite:

You can't make tiles higher then 4 but 3, 2 & 1 are fine, the pics are actually in game BTW.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Nikademis Von Hisson
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LOL, I had been working on something like this after seeing a post some time ago, I kinda gave up on it.... you have inspired me to revive it.

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27714

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are bridges possible with 3,2 and 1 heights?

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sadly bridges are hard coded at 4 cells high. I plan to make some fake bridges that you can go over but not under tho. Which is probably more realistic anyway as it would look a bit ridiculous if an aircraft carrier can go under a 1 cell high bridge #Tongue

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Sadly bridges are hard coded at 4 cells high. I plan to make some fake bridges that you can go over but not under tho. Which is probably more realistic anyway as it would look a bit ridiculous if an aircraft carrier can go under a 1 cell high bridge #Tongue

...out of all people, you'd understand now you live in the Netherlands... What about movable bridges?  Razz

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah, thanks for the answer. That explains the lots of tiles.
Mig Eater wrote:
@Parasite03:

I don't think I've every actually used the auto cliff tool #Tongue

no mapper does afaik, since it always causes cliff errors.

Mig Eater wrote:
You can't make tiles higher then 4 but 3, 2 & 1 are fine, the pics are actually in game BTW.

Are you sure? The tmp file format has from the file structure outgoing, no problem to set a tile on height 20.

@RatsInTheWalls: drawbridges would be nice, but i doubt there is way to get such thing working. For DTA Bittah, me and the other stuff discuss for years, how a better bridge logic could be added (not the currently used tunnel under a "bridge tile"), but no idea really gave a useful solution.
The community also tries to find for years to find a way to make buildable bridges, but there was not one successful and really useful attempt so far.

Public SHPs

Tools

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
The community also tries to find for years to find a way to make buildable bridges, but there was not one successful and really useful attempt so far.

You don't have to tell me mate.  Laughing I still remember the hype when someone (maybe it was you?) managed to "build" grass and repairpads on water.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks really nice Mig.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, I totally support you. 1, 2, and 3 cell hight cliifs don't look high enough to have a vehicle going under it. At least a water vessel though tanks could barely git under the 3 high one. But that would look bad IMO so even if you could make real bridges, I think fake ones would be better.

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Wolfsangel
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A new approach! This is great Mig.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

Are you sure? The tmp file format has from the file structure outgoing, no problem to set a tile on height 20.

In the past (like 10 years ago) I couldn't get it to work but I just test it again & you can make tiles higher then 4. Knowing that now tho I don't think it's worth making 5 or 6 cell high cliffs, the main point of these new cliffs was to get away from high horizontal cliff faces & make more natural staggered rock formations. It's useful to know for when I make the Ruhr dams tho #Tongue

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a 5 levels high cliff would be indeed not that useful, but a 6 and 8 level high one could become useful, especially when you now have also smaller sublevels which combined could lead to these very high cliffs. Though i guess the amount of additional work for all the possible transition cliff pieces is not worth it (you would need a 6to4 6to3 6to2 as well as 8to6 8to4 etc for all possible directions).

I just wonder what would happen if you place on height 12 in a map, a height 8 cliff. since the game supports only max 14 height levels, the upper cliff part on height 20 surely causes some bugs.

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some progress with the ramps...

Unfortunately I'm unable to make 8 variations of each of the ramps due to problems with the Z-data & parts overlapping, but that means I'll only have to do an eighth of the work now #Tongue

The difference between the hand made & 3D rendered grass is a bit more prominent on the slopes. I'll probably redo the grass in 3D in the future but it would mean having to redo nearly everything else too, so I'm going to leave it for now.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't redo the grass in 3D :'(
I feel that the transition from grass to rock on the cliff tops is too gradual and doesn't look believable.

It all looks pretty good though, reminds me of the terrain of isometric RPGs of yore for some reason. #Tongue

TaShadan
Medic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome stuff!

Exley
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

reminds me of diablo 2 level 1 Smile
very nice

how did we end up here ?

this place is horrible ...

smells like balls ...

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump for bad news, work on these new cliffs has stalled (once again). The computer I was making them on started crashing & required the OS to be reinstalled. I have all the files backed up but opening them on a different computer results in a complete corrupt mess. So I may have to redo all the modeling from scratch (for the third time) >.>

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad . Hope miracle happens

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is great work and especially considering how much time and effort you put into this, I really admire it.

I think rather than starting over, the more promising way would be to get the help of a computer technician who can restore your files to their original state, or retrieve the files from your old HD, where they are now overwritten by the re-installation (this is not very hard to do, there are even freeware tools available online to do it).

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have all the files backed up, that isn't a problem. 3DS Max is just very picky, files saved in newer versions of 3DS wont work in older ones, or in this case files saved on one computer wont work on a different PC.

I'm hoping the files will still work after reinstalling everything on the original PC, but it's still a pain as I don't use that PC any more anyway.

tomsons26lv
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
I have all the files backed up, that isn't a problem. 3DS Max is just very picky, files saved in newer versions of 3DS wont work in older ones

Yea, they changed the file format with each new verison, you can still save as a legacy format tho.
Not long after when i started working with Gangster i switched to Max 2013 because it was more stable on my PC while he still had Max 2010, i saved everything as a Max 2010 format and he could open and work with it. Now he has Max 2013 everything still opens fine and i'm actually even missing a few FX plugins he has but since they are not used in the scene Max just informs me they are missing and lets me open them.
Mig Eater wrote:
or in this case files saved on one computer wont work on a different PC.

They should if you are using the same or newer version of Max.
1. Either you are missing a service pack for Max.
2. The file's are corrupt.
3. You'r missing a plugin you actually make use of in the max scene, making Max unable to open it properly.
One other thing you can try is Import > Merge your broken max file in to a new empty scene, if the crash is caused by a plugin/broken geometry you should be able to pinpoint which one is it this way, some people even manage to recover the entire scene using this method.

If it is caused by missing plugins and you manage to recover them using the Merge option you can try to remove them using any of the scripts on ScriptSpot
http://www.scriptspot.com/search/apachesolr_search/Missing%20Plugins?filters=type%3Ascript

Skype live:tomsons26
Don't forget to state who are you otherwise i'll ignore the invite

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both PCs have the standard 3DS Max 2010 installed without any extra plugins. One is a Dutch Win7 64bit & the other an English WinXP 32bit. The original files were made on the Win7 PC & opening/importing them on the WinXP results in polygons randomly shooting up all over the place :/ I'm thinking it might be the 64-32 bit difference causing the problem, I'll try also installing the 32bit version of 3DS Max on the 64bit PC & see if I get the same error.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bump for ingame cliffness...  

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, this is beautiful  Approved!

A few small things look out of place but the general terrain is great.
e.g.
-too dark south east shadowed side on the big cannon bunker
-the ship looks very small and a bit low detailed compared to the rest

-the beach waves look quite big and low detailed compared to the spray on the cliffs
-too sharp transition pieces on the north east slopes

Public SHPs

Tools

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The "big cannon bunker" (aka biggest AA gun ever built) looks ok to me, it uses exactly the same lighting as the other defences, wall & cliffs.

"The ship" is actually an amphibious tank #Tongue

The beach tiles were originally made about 5 years ago & will be replaced with new animated ones in the future.

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn MigEater its awesome!

warlock
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They look quite interesting... Nice looking at all... Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail YouTube User URL Skype Account AIM Address
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm finished!!!1! OMG it's over... for now :3

I spent the the last three days working nonstop making the joint connections so you can link any of the cliff sets to any other in 16 different directions.

I'm to warn out & need to rest, I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's it. I quit modding.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I remember now why I don't like map making, it takes bloody ages. I haven't really opened Final Alert 2 in about two years as well so I'm a bit rusty. Anyway pics of the new cliffs will take a bit longer #Tongue

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry for the off-topic; but since you've mentioned 'big cannon', I think we all would love to see the Schwerer Gustav in action. #Tongue

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And you just made it 5 times more time consuming with all these different cliffs. #Tongue

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Krow: The Gustav was just eye candy, it's impossible to make it a usable weapon ingame.

@Bolt: Cliffs feel more like 50x complex now, my mind implodes trying to decide what to put where. I doubt I could really put all these new tiles to full use, they need an experienced map maker like you I think #Tongue

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [40 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon