Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 am
All times are UTC + 0
Giving AI some love for walls
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject:  Giving AI some love for walls Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Many of you know how awfull vanilla AI builds walls in TS with the default values sets.

Most time it looks something like this:
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/004.jpg

Then there is also the GDI AI wall tower bug. But than can easily be fixed with just a clone of GAWALL and a complete new Overlay for the clone too. As it looks like there may be some hardcoded stuff for that overlay in the game.

So we get this:
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/gdiwalls.png

Now the next stage is to change AI's building space.
Set AIBaseSpacing=2 in rules.ini

Results (warning big pictures):
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/GDI_T1_E.png
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/forgt2.png
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/nodt2.png
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/gdit2.png
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/gdit21.png
http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/forgt10.png

While Nod, Cabal and Forgotten share the same base AI they look very similar. GDI by itself looks like is using a different shape of wall building as seen here:

http://media.moddb.com/images/mods/1/15/14166/walls.jpg

I know this is not a miracle of a possible fix for walls, but at least I think for myself that it helps them. Now if only the game would have two lines something like AIBaseSpacing (for buildings only) and something like a AIWallSpacing tag. So you could only affect walls with it.

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do wonder what's the logic behind the GDI AI wall-building. It's certainly trying to draw some particular forms, like those rows of 2-cell wide walls, but why?

A way to test what the wall perimeter would look like if the wall-building would remain uninterrupted is to have a flat map and disable all AI triggers, so it would only build structures and walls. I'm also interested whether that smart defence placing in gdit21.png was just a coincidence/bug or a demonstration of a smart AI. Did your GDI house have a threat rating node enabled, or SmartAI set?

Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes GDI and Nod AI have ThreatRating enabled (I use the Construction Yard for that).

I need to try this on a complete flat map, to see how the AI build them without something disturbing it (like hills etc).

Code:
GDIWallDefense=1
GDIWallDefenseCoefficient=2
NodBaseDefenseCoefficient=2.2
GDIBaseDefenseCoefficient=2.5
MaximumBaseDefenseValue=10
ComputerBaseDefenseResponse=3

I am using that too. I wonder what GDIWallDefense=1 does exactly. Refering to modenc it's this:

"Specifies the length of each section of wall to be built each time an Allied computer player places one down."

But I am not really sure about it.

EDIT: It looks like they get limited by build range.
EDIT2: Nope even with Adjacent=40, it's something else.
EDIT3: Ok, now I get it, the problem comes with base defenses.
EDIT4: This is really some strange stuff  #Silly

gdi big base.png
 Description:
I don't get it really, I need to investigate it more.
 Filesize:  600.4 KB
 Viewed:  5484 Time(s)

gdi big base.png

cab base no defense.png
 Description:
The problem comes back with bigger bases
 Filesize:  557.28 KB
 Viewed:  5486 Time(s)

cab base no defense.png

gdi no defense.png
 Description:
With no defenses it works perfect
 Filesize:  315.61 KB
 Viewed:  5489 Time(s)

gdi no defense.png

nod1.png
 Description:
Walls with Adjacent=40
 Filesize:  421.79 KB
 Viewed:  5492 Time(s)

nod1.png

forg1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  410.03 KB
 Viewed:  5493 Time(s)

forg1.png

GDI1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  514.61 KB
 Viewed:  5493 Time(s)

GDI1.png

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

Also Known As: ZivDero

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I in the wall heaven? I want this in RA2...

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA2 has it already (though only walled in important buildings)

@Astor: very interesting research and the results in the screenshots look excellent. I haven't seen an AI base that well "thought out".

Once you have all information about the wall logic, keys and problems together, please create a tutorial or research topic explaining what you have found.

btw, i wouldn't have expected anyone to still use my old cyborg barrack. Smile
oh and check the fortress tower turrets. I think you use the old turrets with the new base, thus parts of the turrets are missing when they face north. To work with the new base, i made new turrets too (also a disruptor turret). Only the SAM turret seems correct in your screenshot.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know that RA2 AI can wall up buildings with a special tag but I want it to build these bases with buildgs placed accurately, walls making almost a complete closed boz with gates and base defences in places that are open - RA2 AI does not do that.

Edit: In fact, in RA2 the AI does not build any walls but the ones around the buildings

Oooooh, this logic was replaced with ProtectWithWall in RA2...

What in the name of insanity is this? I FRICKING LOVE THIS LOGICCCC!!!!!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOHEEAWWWWWWWWWWWYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW PEW PEW PEW PEW BOOM BOOM BOOM!! Nice I love this!!!! Ferriswheel bomb, Dive bomb. New Logic discovered thanks to Kenosis Very Happy

Zero18
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm, I might want to make the AI in WD do this too. It would be great to have such a smart AI that can perform almost like a human player in some ways.

Continue please. This is indeed interesting.

Parasite03
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is not interesting for us, Zero18. This has been replaced with surrounding buildings with walls in RA2.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After sometime, some section of GDI walls gets upgraded to wall-tower, though I didn't see them getting
used as component tower.

Deformations, water, train tracks, trees, tiberium, cliffs, unit/infantry obstruction etc. are too many
elements that doesn't allow a proper wall compound for the base.

WallTowers.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.53 KB
 Viewed:  5332 Time(s)

WallTowers.jpg

Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@E1 Elite

put a copy of GAWALL into your files, and rename it to something different. Make a new overlay for the walls.

Make a new clone of the GAWALL entry in rules.ini - then replace GAWALL with it in ConcreteWalls=

After that it should be fixed. Game seems to have a lot of stuff hardcoded for GAWALL.

Here is a examaple code I use. My clone is called GDWALL.

Rules.ini
Code:

[BuildingTypes]
XX=GDWALL

[TerrainTypes]
XX=GDWALL

[AI]
ConcreteWalls=NAWALL,GDWALL

[BuildingTypes]
[GDWALL]

Art.ini
Code:

[GDWALL]
Cameo=WALLICON
Foundation=1x1
ToOverlay=GDWALL
DamageLevels=3
NewTheater=no

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the clone info. I just tried for fun on vanilla game with minimum change. WallTowers looks nice
on a semi dark map with light animation.

Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:

btw, i wouldn't have expected anyone to still use my old cyborg barrack. Smile
oh and check the fortress tower turrets. I think you use the old turrets with the new base, thus parts of the turrets are missing when they face north. To work with the new base, i made new turrets too (also a disruptor turret). Only the SAM turret seems correct in your screenshot.

Thanks for the info about the turrets, I always thought that something was different about them and yes I really like your Cyborg Barracks, it's dark humor with the animation is glorious Very Happy

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Observations:
- AIBaseSpacing=2 makes it look better, it reduces creation of disconnected single wall pieces. To build
walls, AIBaseSpacing=1 could do with less building space. A value of 3 needs lot of base space.
- GDI walls have more functionality - upgrading the wall sections to wall-towers and placing component
tower next to the wall sections. Also making secondary wall sections few cells inside and outside of primary
wall for extra defense. While Nod seems to need more building space for walls in vanilla game than GDI.
- With base defense enabled, GDI wall leaves some space on the south end, regardless of base location
on the map to fill up with component tower defenses. East and west ends might get 1 component tower
while on north, the end gets connected with wall sections. Additional wall compartment may get created
on the north to host component towers.
- Nod multimissiles get priority to take down GDI walls/gates, which makes some deformation, preventing
rebuilding of wall section on that place.
- GDIWallDefense, GDIWallDefenseCoefficient seems to have no affect. ThreatRatingNode is not needed.
Adjacent= is for human player, doesn't affect AI.

@Astor: A name with 2nd alphabet as A like GAWALL2, instead of GDWALL can use theater specific shp files.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Astor wrote:
After that it should be fixed. Game seems to have a lot of stuff hardcoded for GAWALL.

You can use the C&C Executable Modifier (see my signature) to remove the hardcoded stuff from the exe without changing the ini. Wink
Then also hardcoded things like artillery projectile, Nod wall, mammoth MKII etc are removed too.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Astor
Cyborg Soldier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Astor wrote:

You can use the C&C Executable Modifier (see my signature) to remove the hardcoded stuff from the exe without changing the ini. Wink
Then also hardcoded things like artillery projectile, Nod wall, mammoth MKII etc are removed too.

It's not about the hardcoded stuff like the health of the Mammoth being fixed to 800 or the guard range of GAWALL/NAWALL.

It's deeper connected. Like "WallTower=" which gives the ability to build a building inside GAWALL. AI tries to do that, but the problem is that the wall part is not removed and so we have a stuck component tower inside an overlay.

E1 Elite wrote:
- GDIWallDefense, GDIWallDefenseCoefficient seems to have no affect. ThreatRatingNode is not needed.
Adjacent= is for human player, doesn't affect AI.

AFAIK it modifies the threatposed value of defense placed inside walls (WW intended that AI should attack first towers inside walls, as they would have an HP boost, which I think they never added into the game/or is broken)

E1 Elite wrote:

@Astor: A name with 2nd alphabet as A like GAWALL2, instead of GDWALL can use theater specific shp files.

Yes of course working with GTWALL2/GAWALL2 will work better, I just gave a simple example of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon