Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:46 am
All times are UTC + 0
Map name display problem.
Moderators: Global Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject:  Map name display problem. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Okay, so the problem that I'm having is this.

As you can see I've edited the map names in the string table and moved the player counts to the start of the map name.

I used this on standard maps to re ordered the maps list and make it more obvious to navigate, which works perfectly.

Applying the same thing to some new maps contained in a .mmx (mix) file how ever leaves the map names displaying the player count twice. My guess is that the number before the name is from the string table and the number after is the one that the game generates for some unknown reason.

The maps are listed in .pkt file for easy ordering, the method I used is the exact same as with missions.pkt  (the original pkt file).

I'd like to get rid of the doubled up map numbers.

Last edited by DaRTzO on Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can post the mmx file if needed.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RA2 automatically adds them to the end of the map name like (2). I didn't give any player numbers
in string table for maps defined in custom pkt file.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, you don't have to, but how come in the default missions.pkt you can just make the maps use the complete string as the map's name?

Which allows for maps to named "anything with any number anywhere".

RP
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are you using all the keys in the map that WW uses? Maybe something happens there.

Mental Omega 3.0 Mission creator - Creator of FinalOmega: APYR 3.0 Map Editor

/ppm/'s stupidity

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's some differences in some of the map files.
They don't have an existing name in the mmx files, but in windows they do. (it's the way Olaf set them up for maps patch).

Though 1 of the maps is a map added by the update patches (1.006) and it contains all the settings and entries as the original. (map file and .pkt) only difference is that it's in a different mmx file.

I've tried to experiment with ways of fixing it, but nothing works.

If I move the .pkt file outside of the mmx then the maps list appears fixed and working as it should, but the maps contained in the mmx get doubled up. First entries appear correct with only the string table set name and the duplicates below those ones appear as shown on the screenshot.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did a hex search for .mmx files and explored a bit inside the game.exe.

I came up with this fix. It completely removes the automatic display of player spawn counter. Useful for anyone who want's to keep the player counts infront of the map names to make it easier to browse maps according to the need, for team games.

Code:

Disable automatic map player counts. Eg: "mapname (2-4)" turns into "mapname" (spawn counts can be added with the string table editor).

Offset : 003F39E6
Original : 63 00 25 00 64 00 2D 00 25
Modified : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Offset : 003F38F8
Original : 4D 61 78 50 6C 61 79 65 72 73 00 00 4D 69 6E 50 6C 61 79 65 72 73
Modified : 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Felt that it was going offtopic in ModExe thread, so posting here.

Tested again and one byte changes was enough to disable the player count appending functionality
of RA2 v1.006. Names from missions.pkt still remains as it is. String table editing is needed for .pkt
files from .mmx packs if you want to prefix the counts. MPR files need to be edited for the Name= in
[Basic] to make all of them consistent.

Attaching:
- hacks.ra2.ini - includes the player count hack, to be used with ModExe for RA2 game.exe v1.006
- ForTest.rar - place the contents to see the map name changes. Backup ra2.csf if you already have one
in game folder.

As of 125% dpi - changing the compatibility setting only for RA2/YR game exe files doesn't work. It needs
system-wide display setting change which needs logoff and login again which I don't do.

counts.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  39.07 KB
 Viewed:  2829 Time(s)

counts.jpg

hacks.ra2.ini
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  hacks.ra2.ini
 Filesize:  2.1 KB
 Downloaded:  6 Time(s)

ForTest.rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  ForTest.rar
 Filesize:  100.24 KB
 Downloaded:  7 Time(s)

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In that case your game is behaving differently to mine.

With your modifications of the hack the standard maps from multi.mix will have their names changed as intended by the hack and no numbers are displayed.

The maps that are in multi.mix use the missions.pkt from ra2.mix > local.mix.

Though maps loaded from maps.mmx ( the way I have it set up ) use the maps.pkt included inside the maps.mmx, while the map format is .map. These maps still have their player counts added to them while using the single byte hack as you have done it.

Also it can cause garbage to be displayed after the map names eg: mapname (%"#). Without using the full hack I end up with garbage like mentioned above.

Most usermade maps that are around ( still played online ) don't use any player counts what so ever, on their names. So to keep the naming consistent you would have to rename the maps in FA2, which would break compatibility with other users, meaning if they have the original map you would need to transfer them your modified map. Just saying that modifying .mpr maps is pointless.

To make browsing the maps list easier I have added a fake .pkt entry that simply adds a category title to the maps list eg : ===custom maps=== which is the most reasonable solution to .mpr maps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon