Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 am
All times are UTC + 0
Screen Tearing
Moderators: Global Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Speculator
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject:  Screen Tearing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How do you stop the Screen tearing when scrolling around the map in Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2.

Is there any way to force VSync and/or triple buffering in DirectDraw games.?

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speculator
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO wrote:
Try this : http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html

Please post back and let me know if it worked, as it will help with the future development of the unofficial patch for ra2.

Already tried that with TS and Red Alert2 but never had much success with it..but will try again. Dune2000 is the only old westwood game i have which has no issues with screen tearing but i am not sure what Engine it runs on.

E1 Elite
General

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What's the difference between this patch and

AllowVRAMSidebar=no
VideoBackBuffer=No

?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO wrote:
AllowVRAMSidebar=no

What's this? Never heard of it.

DaRTzO wrote:
VideoBackBuffer=No

Doesn't work in Tiberian Sun. AFAIK AlexB's hack has the same effect however.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Speculator, Which OS?

Speculator
Civilian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:
Speculator, Which OS?

Windows 7

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
DaRTzO wrote:
AllowVRAMSidebar=no

What's this? Never heard of it.

Can be set to 'yes' or 'no' and determines if virtual memory is used to store the game sidebar instead of physical RAM. The practical upshot is that if the user has a small amount of RAM and the VRAM is used instead, they get a performance boost as RAM is freed up for use by the battle rather than use of the sidebar (which is not required as frequently).

Source : http://modenc.renegadeprojects.com/AllowVRAMSidebar

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes I have. It seems restrictive due to having to install another program. I will test your script however.

Speculator
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO wrote:

Please post back and let me know if it worked, as it will help with the future development of the unofficial patch for ra2.

Actually when using the ddwrapper and turning on BltNoTearing and ForceBltNoTearing it fixes the tearing but slows the game down quite a lot

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Glukv48 wrote:
Speculator, Same in windowed mode?

and look here.
http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=3003.0

DaRTzO wrote:

http://www.ppmsite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=518443#518443
Have you checked it ?

So I tested out the ts-ddraw and your autohotkey script.

The ts-ddraw caused my ra2 to be very slow and in game it actually caused tearing, the game normally doesn't display any tearing for me. Also my windows 7 seemed to get very sluggish as well, when alt tabbing the whole desktop was very glitchy and slow.

The autohotkey script ended up showing me a white screen after starting the game like in the screenshot below. Also one of the folders that I had open (maxmized) was also affected by the script's enabled settings, no taskbar or titlebar, I had to alt tab to close it.
It's a very buggy option if it does work.

Yes, I know that this is the TS editing forum.

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO, I answered you in the old topic. And by the way, this script also works with TS.

Speculator
Civilian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Still no luck with the tearing on this AMD 6850 Perhaps Nvidia is better for old directdraw games.

Tried using the Tiberian Sun Config from the http://cncnet.org/download version of the game.

Speculator
Civilian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DaRTzO wrote:

It did work for Red alert 2 with the following settings on with aqrit

RealDDrawPath            = AUTO
BltNoTearing             = 1
ForceBltNoTearing        = 1

and with the (VideoBackBuffer=Yes) option on

Using the same settings with Tiberian Sun will work also but will cause the game to run slow.

DaRTzO
Laser Commando

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's interesting, thanks for posting back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [18 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon