Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Eradicating the Red Soviet Army...
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject:  Eradicating the Red Soviet Army...
Subject description: that never even touched me :)
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I manged to bottleneck this lot by building my base on the old GDI site, it was a simple case of wearing down their bases with nukes and Termites, along with the reinforcements (which never even got attacked by the initial tank rush!)

lol.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  862.09 KB
 Viewed:  6902 Time(s)

lol.png

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

FYI that barracks was the last building to be destroyed

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oooops #Tongue

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, you surely got lucky when the stupid AI managed to get itself stuck like that #Tongue

I thought about opening a second route to the GDI base when making the mission, appears that I indeed should've done that. Maybe I'll still do that for 1.13. But congratz on clearing the mission (and breaking it, I'm impressed #Tongue )

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

there was actually a lot more, i managed to clear most of the tanks running up to the first bottlneck with my SSM launcher, artillery and microwave tanks (slow, labourous process)

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can imagine that you were forced to do that to prevent the game from slowing down to 1 FPS. When the AI is stuck like that, it is constantly searching for a new path for all those units - and that pathfinding takes a lot of CPU time.

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah thats what happened.

Also, I dont think you should edit the map, I mean obviously I found a novel way to beat the map working things out by trial and error (believe me, it took me many many tries for my tactic to work) so forcing players to play exactly how you want i dont think is good mapping, as it does not allow players to find their own solutions.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A solution and an exploit are different things however; getting rid of exploits in updates is something that developers do all the time.

In your screenshot the AI isn't unable to get to you just because you blocked it (if that was the case, it indeed would've been a solution and less of an exploit, if at all); it's unable to get to you because the terrain caused the AI to block its own units and thus is malfunctioning.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well near the start of the map theres a natural bottleneck, I originally had some microwave tanks disabling the mammoths blocking the rest of the armys path, also if you look, the first couple of tanks arnt being blocked by anything, if I was to take them out all the rest of them would come pouring through and annihilate me, therefore its down to dumb ai more than anything, not really an exploit, its just the same as say in the original C&C building defense towers and thats all they will nuke, or in RA placing a unit in the far left corner on skirmish and thats all they'll go for, knowing the tricks of the AI is not an exploit IMO

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If the AI attacked you from that narrow path, it'd be fine in my opinion. You'd still have to use your Microwave tanks, Obelisks and other things to kill the tanks as they approach from the narrow path. However, when the AI gets entirely stuck like this, it turns into an exploit.

Basically, I think you found a clever solution. But if you can consistently make the AI stuck with your solution, the solution turns into an exploit. That's my opinion on it; if the AI can be blocked consistently by taking your MCV to the destroyed GDI support base, it's an exploit. If you just got lucky and usually the AI would attack you from the narrow route to the base, it's just a solution.

So, whether I change this or not depends on whether this stuck AI issue happens often/always when you build your base on where the GDI support base is or not.

I don't have anything against players finding solutions like this, I actually like it. But I will fix any exploits that make you able to win a mission without doing practically anything.

virtue
Vehicle Driver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, as i said it took me a good 10 attempts to get it right, I noticed that the soviets will go for the allied light tanks that you find regardless of any reinforcements, they WILL go for them and completely ignore your units, not sure if you programmed it that way but basically you can position the light tanks so the AI cant reach them and I used microwave tanks to block the path just for good measure.

I really dont know if i can replicate it again, it took me hours and hours for me to beat the level as i had about 5 light tanks left of the reinforcements after taking out 2 of the 3 soviet bases, so it was a close match in that regard. Of course, because of the slowdown i had to resort to waiting (and waiting) for the nuke to recharge to take out the rest of the bases.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon