Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:08 am
All times are UTC + 0
Huge voxel section problem
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject:  Huge voxel section problem Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Guys, how can I reduce this?

You see, in hva preview, it looks normal compared with soviet miner, but in voxel section editor it is huge meaning it will take lot of time until it loads, apply, save etc...
Also, in hva editor, it needs about 15 seconds to load and almost same when I try to move preview...
it is rather annoying and I m not gonna release voxel with this shit.  Mad
How can I reduce it's size in Voxel SE, so it will be smaller and load faster?

ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The voxel itself is quite huge. The width of it judging from the screeny you gave makes the voxel seem like its almost 100 pixels in width, which is way too large. So you're gonna have to remake the voxel on a smaller scale. To see the voxel's actual size in HVA editor, reset the bounds, save, and reopen in the HVA editor. Also, for very large voxels, it helps to make them hollow in order to put less stress on the VXLSE3 and the game engine while keeping them looking the same in game.

Untitled.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  47.13 KB
 Viewed:  7367 Time(s)

Untitled.png

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't fill up the inside of the voxel. Usually 2-3 should suffice. The extra pixels inside the voxel increases the calculation of it in HVA Builder/Voxel Editor

MasterHaosis
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ConMan wrote:
The voxel itself is quite huge. The width of it judging from the screeny you gave makes the voxel seem like its almost 100 pixels in width, which is way too large.

it is x=104, y=84, z=250

Well, voxel was quite smaller, but I wanted to resize it by 20%, which means that I had to multiply it by 2 (in full resize option), then manually to multiply each bounds by 0.6.
So U got this large voxel in voxel editor  Mad

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
Don't fill up the inside of the voxel. Usually 2-3 should suffice. The extra pixels inside the voxel increases the calculation of it in HVA Builder/Voxel Editor

I did not know for this. Thanks man. I see I will have pain in ass until I fix that.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In last VXLSE betas, there is Remove Redundant Voxels (8-faced) which will fix that issue.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isn't obj-export/import already capable of resizing a voxel by any value?

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Isn't obj-export/import already capable of resizing a voxel by any value?

Talk about a loss of precision and quality. Most likely anyhow.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@GD If you do that though you'll have the black dot syndrome since the voxel layers aren't thick enough.

Sadly resizing a voxel like that increase the number of voxels used..eight times. I think even if you made it hollow it will still be game engine heavy, so your best bet is to remake it from scratch.

Or convert it into a 3DS model, then use 3DS2VXL and convert to the right size

Starkku
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ConMan wrote:
@GD If you do that though you'll have the black dot syndrome since the voxel layers aren't thick enough.

Which is why he specifically mentioned to use the 8-Neighbours version available in some of the more recent versions of VXLSE, over the usual 4-Neighbours version of the redundant voxel remover that was previously the only tool available for this and DID cause the issue you mentioned. The newer version, however, usually properly leaves enough layers for every direction to not cause black dot syndrome.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Twitter Channel URL
ConMan
Tiberian Beast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Starkku No, I just tested the 8 neighbours version and it still does not work. The script still leaves huge parts only one layer thick so the best thing to do is to hollow them out manually

it dont work.png
 Description:
before and after
 Filesize:  11.62 KB
 Viewed:  7267 Time(s)

it dont work.png

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zombie thread I know, but I always hated the remove-redundant option for being too aggressive...

I would suggest changing it to disallow single thickness planes on all axes... so if there's a slope, it knows that vertically there's another dot above and to the side.

Now there's the other option I normally use, SHRINK!

Make a voxel larger than you need (except when you get to really large items like the cruise ship), then use the header to set the min/max x-y-z to say 60-80% of the original values...

So if your section is a 50x50x20, your min/max is -25/+25 for X, using 60% makes it -15/+15...

By shrinking the voxel, you effectively use multiple dots per pixel/coordinate, and voids (black dots) are all but eliminated, even on single thickness planes...

----------

So the best use of this is for smaller models with lots of curves, like a helicopter or apc, or small vessel.

BUT you can use it to make small adjustments to a unit on one axis only too! So if you find your aircraft is too "fat" you can unevenly shrink the model, say 80% on the Y-axis, and 60% of the X-axis.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum