Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:58 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Issues on Windows 8.1
Moderators: Dawn of the Tiberium Age Staff
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Dark Helmet
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject:  Issues on Windows 8.1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
I just discovered this mod and first of all I want to thank you for your work, this looks really awesome.

But unfortunately I can't get the mod to work properly on my machine (Windows 8.1 x64, Nvidia 780Ti with 347.52 driver). Depending on the selected renderer, I ran into different problems:

The recommended TS-DDRAW renderer doesn't work at all, I just get a plain white screens after starting a game and nothing else happens (exept I can hear the video/music starting). With the IE-DDRAW renderer the game runs actually perfect, but playing in window mode is quite inconvenient for me since it's scaled so small on modern screens.

So finally I gave the default renderer a shot which works in both window and fullscreen modes, but performance is kinda bad with a lot of stuttering and cursor flickering. After reading the description on ModDB I know this is not unexpected. However, in fullscreen mode again there is a second issue: The menu doesn't appear, or apparently is does get opened as I can hear the sounds when clicking around randomly, but it's not displayed.

I tried the hint from this thread with the same problem, but it didn't do the trick for me. I'm not sure if I did it the right way though. It was said to use the fix with default renderer selected, but is the ddraw.dll isn't even used by the default renderer (I'm asking since the original ddraw.dll is automatically deleted as soon as I switch from a DDRAW renderer to default)?

I then had the idea to replace the orginal ddraw.dll file with the downloaded one while TS-DDRAW was selected and ta-da! It somehow worked, no white screen and good performance in fullscreen. HOWEVER, the missing menu issue appeared with this renderer too Sad I did the obvious stuff like playing around with Windows compatibility settings (which doesn't change anything execpt the game crashes in Windows 98 mode) and now I'm running out of ideas.  

Do you have any suggestions for me?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dark Helmet wrote:
With the IE-DDRAW renderer the game runs actually perfect, but playing in window mode is quite inconvenient for me since it's scaled so small on modern screens.

If this works fine, why don't you simply run it in a higher resolution?
This is not 1995 where you have to play in a tiny 640x400 resolution. Wink
Use the bigger screensize so you see more of the battlefield. Online players with small resolutions will lose most of the time due to lacking overview.

I think on win8 we have so far no full screen solution, only windowed. Can be wrong though.

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I think on win8 we have so far no full screen solution, only windowed. Can be wrong though.

You are wrong. For most people (including me) TS-DDRAW works properly in fullscreen mode. Most people seem to have invisible in-game menus with it however, but not everyone; for me the menus are displayed and function just like they should. Could be GPU-related since I'm using a AMD GPU while most people use Intel or Nvidia. I haven't heard of the white screen issue (that Dark Helmet encountered) before though.

So far we unfortunately haven't found any reliable solution for invisible menus on Windows 8 (other than using IE-DDRAW which forces you to windowed mode). The menus still work, so it's possible to memorize the button locations, but we are aware that it's inconvenient.

(Staff: We should test if enabling the menu slide anim fixes this issue)

Glukv48
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Compatibility Mode "DXPrimaryEmulation -DisableMaxWindowedMode" solves the problem with the menu.

Compatibility Mode "8And16BitTimedPriSync" Fixes lag, but breaks the mechanism to minimize(Alt+tab) the game.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When I tried those fixes, the menu actually was invisible for me, while TS-DDRAW makes it visible for me. So your fix doesn't work for everyone.

Dark Helmet
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the replies guys. A first try with the compatibility toolkit didn't solve the menu issue and the game runs even slower than before o.O
Well I probably just did something wrong, will have to read more about this tool, I'm a noob to these kind of stuff.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Dark Helmet wrote:
With the IE-DDRAW renderer the game runs actually perfect, but playing in window mode is quite inconvenient for me since it's scaled so small on modern screens.

If this works fine, why don't you simply run it in a higher resolution?
This is not 1995 where you have to play in a tiny 640x400 resolution. Wink
Cause it's so tiny in window mode. This is how 1920x1200 looks for me:

I have to get very close to the screen to play it this way, in fullscreen mode with upscaled 1280x720 resolution it looks much more comfortable to me - although less sharp.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On a 27" and smaller monitor in that resultion, understandable.
On a 40" and bigger monitor, such a resolution is excellent to play with Wink

Is your monitor rather small? Maybe reduce desktop resolution since 2565x1440 is a quite high resultion and i would set this only if i have a big enough monitor. Otherwise i would have problems to read desktop icons and other texts as well (so it wouldn't be a problem on the game only).

@all: wasn't there a way to double window size by doubling the pixel? So one pixel is scaled up to a 2x2 pixel?
Or was this in dosbox only?

Public SHPs

Tools

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Intel GPU causes trouble.

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Did anyone tested already if the games run on 8K FUHD with 7680 × 4320 pixel resolution? #Tongue

Public SHPs

Tools

Dark Helmet
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Krow wrote:
Intel GPU causes trouble.
It's not active in my case.

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
On a 27" and smaller monitor in that resultion, understandable.
On a 40" and bigger monitor, such a resolution is excellent to play with Wink

Is your monitor rather small? Maybe reduce desktop resolution since 2565x1440 is a quite high resultion and i would set this only if i have a big enough monitor.
It's a 32" screen, so pixel pitch is basically the same as 1080p on 24". In normal use it's good for me.
And... well... lowering the desktop resolution somehow didn't came to my mind. Embarassed   That's not the most beautiful solution, but it works that way. Thanks for the hint, lol Laughing

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lin Kuei Ominae wrote:
Did anyone tested already if the games run on 8K FUHD with 7680 × 4320 pixel resolution? #Tongue

IIRC Hyper once said that 4096x4096 is the max. I don't own a pair of 4K monitors to test it with though #Tongue

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dark Helmet wrote:
It's not active in my case.
I assume it's not an integrated laptop GPU?

Dark Helmet
Civilian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Laptop? No it's a desktop system. CPU is an i7 4770K but as I mentioned the integrated Intel GPU is deactivated, the system runs completely on the Nvidia 780 Ti.

But I think that in fact maybe Nvidia drivers are the issue here (regarding the white screen with TS-DDRAW), maybe it's even worth to give the Intel GPU a shot...

Krow
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My bad. Your post was kinda tl;dr and I was lazy. #Tongue you could try with the Intel GPU, but I won't get my hopes up. My menu didn't refresh when I first tried with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum