Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:07 am
All times are UTC + 0
Copy-Pasting a layer also copies normals?
Moderators: stucuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject:  Copy-Pasting a layer also copies normals? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This didn't use to be the case, say I have a symmetrical object already drawn, and I update the look of one side, then want to copy it over the other side...

I'm not adding new pixels, just replacing the colour values of the ones already there, and in previous versions the normals were left alone.... NOW it screws them up on the destination.

If this is intended behaviour, can we make it optional please...

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can't you just redo the normals though?

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy crap, I get flak no matter what I suggest, either I'm being lazy, or overly picky...

If I say I want better auto-normals I'm told real men do normals with a crib sheet manually.

If I say I want to preserve normals, I'm told to just use the auto function.

There's a time and place for every "feature" and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's spent a lot of time "touching up" normals on an otherwise nearly perfect auto job...  

I don't want to worry about screwing that up, because it would often be just as much work fixing the normals as drawing the colour again. If I'm ADDING new pixels then I don't care, because I'm probably still doing extensive updates to the voxel.

Perhaps the best option I see is, copy the normals if they become new pixels, and retain the old normals if they are pasted over existing pixels...  that would be perfect.

This would allow someone to clear the layer first if they wanted to copy the normals, and no settings would be required.

Orac
President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When the mirror function is used, normals should be inverted across the axis.  It's really dumb that the mirror function doesn't already do this, because nobody ever, ever wants their voxel to have the inverse normal on one side.  And it'd make hand normals a lot less labour intensive to paint.

There are so many edge cases outside of that that I don't see it being feasible to implement anything more complex.

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well that's just how i dealt with it. Another method I did was placing it in the spot on the canvas I wanted it to be on. Normalize it there then copy that into the planned voxel. Yeah it takes alot of time but perfection takes time anyway.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So can we agree to preserve normals on existing dots, and copy the normals on new dots?

I can't say I've mirrored anything yet, because when making an all new model, I generally draw boxes on each axis at several points to start. Then if I'm happy with the overall shape/aspect, I start to carve expected profiles on some layers, filling it in chunks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum