Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Blender templates [TD/RA & TS & RA2]
Moderators: Global Moderators, Media Hut Moderators, Red Alert 2 Moderators, Tiberian Sun Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 5 [207 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The template is pretty solid IMO.

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've not had chance to really test it I'm afraid. Some documentation or a tutorial for using it for those less familiar with the various modes of blender might go down well too.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, THe template is working fine, I just have post template issues to deal with, like pallets and Shp making.

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uploaded version 2.03beta which has improved lighting settings. Previous settings caused too bland contrast and shadows over object.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uploaded version 2.04beta which also improves lighting settings.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Working on re-learning Blender (who knew I memorized so many keyboard shortcuts?) with this, but I see I missed 2 updates.

The template has everything I've needed so far.

Last edited by Phrohdoh on Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a way to change the color of the render background? Make it easier to make stuff for TD/RA/ORA

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Zengar_Zombolt: Background color for object rendering can be changed at nodes and for shadow rendering can be changed at blue plane material tab

color02.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.85 KB
 Viewed:  19087 Time(s)

color02.png

color01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  56.8 KB
 Viewed:  19087 Time(s)

color01.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Phrohdoh: Nice to see you giving a shot Smile

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I must say the viewport is larger than necessary and therefor leads to a ton of extra space (and data) in the eventual shps.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Phrohdoh: Use this mask node to scale canvas and remember to connect to the file output node and select the correct path. You can also change file subpath.

canvas01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.76 KB
 Viewed:  19052 Time(s)

canvas01.png

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting that Blender was hiding the node tree from me.

That certainly did resize the output canvas, but I worry it did so without catering to the shp offset.
I'll play with it and report back, thanks!

Edit:
A thread for a piece I'm creating with this is right over here.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tree01_render01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.08 KB
 Viewed:  18982 Time(s)

tree01_render01.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, I need testing for RA1 scene, it looks a bit dark. Currently I don't mod RA1/TD or OpenRA, so I can't test the SHPs ingame.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I've uploaded CnC Cycles template for those who prefer Blender Cycles more. Check first post.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated cycles version.

allied_prism01_render01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  14.83 KB
 Viewed:  18546 Time(s)

allied_prism01_render01.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New CnC_Template version 2.05 which has a major improvement with lighting, AO and shadows. Grab it now! It's much better than all the previous versions.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New CnC_Template version 2.06 with some nice fixes. Also added tutorial to increase texture quality:

Quote:
By default Blender has a bit blurry texture filter which makes some texture details hard to see.
This can be fixed by setting all your texture 'Filter Size:' to 0.6 in Texture > Image Sampling.

Phrohdoh
Soldier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DonutArnold, thanks. This template just gets better and better.

One day I am going to sit down and plop some models into OpenRA with this.

Chrono2
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for making this template.

I am using the cycles template and I think the results are looking great (my poor modeling skills notwithstanding).

It did take me a while to understand how to get the shadow frames to render correctly (for other newbies like me -> go to the dope sheet, press A to select all keyframes, press G to grab and move them beyond the non-shadow frame range).

One thing I noticed is that under cycles the reds on my textures appeared to have become slightly orange-ish and un-remappable when using the default settings in Open SHP builder and importing into OpenRA.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for workarounds? (I couldn't quite figure out how to make my own palettes)

Thanks again and keep up with the great work!

Corona.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  18245 Time(s)

Corona.png

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You mean that part of your remap remains red / orange / brown?

Normally I fix that stuff manually, use replace colour... Alt q was its hotkey, you may want to create a personal scheme once you know what are the colours the builder set wrong, it saves a lot of time.

Also, not every red on the palette is remapable, I would give you more details but I dont have a pc right now, so check that out aswell.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Chrono2
Civilian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my case all of the reds became orange and non-remappable, as in the group of white vehicles with orange stripes to the left of the screen cap. I was playing as green and the orange stripes are pure red in photoshop. It could be some settings with Cycles - I used default nodes with the photoshopped UV image as texture map.

The blue vehicle on the bottom are from a previous version using blender render

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh my God, AR2 lives!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Oh my God, AR2 lives again!

Chrono2
Civilian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mig Eater wrote:
Oh my God, AR2 lives!

Hi Mig Eater! Glad to see you still around.

One more question: does anyone know of a good way of rendering turrets? I suppose I will want the turret to cast a static shadow on the chassis but be invisible itself on the chassis frame.

Thanks!

Blade
Cyborg Commando

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Related to the earlier part of the thread where we were discussing the camera projection of the RA units and structure, its seems that the shp format records the coords that the shp was originally drawn on a 320x200 canvas that was subsequently clipped to produce the final shp.

The second and third word in the shp file (2 byte long little endian words) are the x and y pos of the top left pixel in the larger canvas.

Admittedly this is all based on a single data point, the french and german versions of aftermath contain a broken carr.shp that wasn't clipped as it should so its possible to see where it was position in the larger canvas. Seems the correct english versions header contains the coords it was positioned at before clipping.

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Chrono2 wrote:
Mig Eater wrote:
Oh my God, AR2 lives!

Hi Mig Eater! Glad to see you still around

Mig Eater is part of the furniture here now. Razz

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Chrono2: to render turrets in a way that it casts a static shadow, use Transparency -> Z Transparency: Alpha:0

and about the remap, I have no idea what causes it to turn orange because I wasn't able to reproduce it. However, when I render models, I use purple as remap instead of red and convert it to .SHP with a custom .pal file which has red remap gradient turned to purple gradient (or possibly even totally customized .pal for individual .shp files)

Short tutorial about custom palette:
1. In Blender, have all model (frames) with different colors placed around the template and turn off planes' render
2. Make sure remap is turned gray
3. Render
4. Open the rendered image in Photoshop or other photo manipulation software
5. Go Image -> Mode -> Indexed colour... -> Use 224 colours -> OK
6. Save image as .PNG
7. Export .PAL from the image with XCC Mixer
8. Open the .PAL file with OS Palette Editor
9. Move colours from remap area after at the end of used colours
10. Gradient Purple to remap area
11. Make sure blue (0,0,255) is first colour and black (0,0,0) is second and delete the rest blue colours
12. Fill end colours (from 240-) with a colour that the rendered image won't use eg. black or pink
13. Save the .PAL file and move it to OS SHP Builder\Palettes\User folder

HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!! Chrono2!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolling Eyes

I like AR2

SCRN.20040101-020110-00868.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  530.47 KB
 Viewed:  18077 Time(s)

SCRN.20040101-020110-00868.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Falloff nodes example

falloff_nodes.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.04 KB
 Viewed:  17301 Time(s)

falloff_nodes.png

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Version 2.07 released. It now allows RA2 stylish infantry rendering. Note: Infantry in RA2 has been rendered with falloff effect. Blender normally doesn't allow falloff to be added from Materials tab.
You need to add it manually via nodes. Follow the example above. Otherwise it'll appear same as the right infantry below.

template_infantry03.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.77 KB
 Viewed:  17295 Time(s)

template_infantry03.png

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any chance there'll be a template that can be converted into a 3ds via the export function that can then be converted into a voxel?

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Why do you need a template for this?
Just create a box, put a texture in png or bmp format on the box, export to 3ds and then 3ds2vxl should find the model and its textures.

Lightsources and cameras and other stuff are not necessary for 3ds export with following 3ds2vxl conversion.

for 3ds export its only necessary
-to have a model
-textures in png or bmp format (so 3ds2vxl can use them)
-texture filenames in 8.3 format (no long filenames as these are not supported by 3ds format and cause trouble)

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah ok, I wasn't sure what all was needed for the 3ds2vxl conversion.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Updated new version 2.09 with improved lighting, thanks LKO for pointing that out.

Here's comparison of old and new lighting:

template_comparison01.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.27 KB
 Viewed:  16465 Time(s)

template_comparison01.png

Lin Kuei Ominae
Seth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Excellent improvement. Smile

Public SHPs
X-Mech Calendar (28 Mechs for GDI and Nod)
5 GDI, 5 Nod, 1 Mutant, 1 Scrin unit, 1 GDI building

Tools
Image Shaper______TMP Shop______C&C Executable Modifier

PillBox20
Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much, DonutArnold!

This is exactly what I needed to render my buildings!

Here is my first result. My first building in blender!

Smile

Speaker Tower.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.22 KB
 Viewed:  15892 Time(s)

Speaker Tower.png

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtxeQoEM_iVd-F-xUIwleyQ
PillBox20's Red Alert 2 Mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/pillbox20s-red-alert-2/downloads/pillbox20s-red-alert-2-version-02

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Skype Account
HG_SCIPCION
Gauss Rifle Trooper

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh, great DonutArnold!
the new template looks realistic! good job! Wink

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the feedback Smile

I'll update the cycles template too at some point...

Darkstorm
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Something I noticed, if I want render shadows for a turret, I need to render a hiding blue vehicle body, but then it renders the shadow of the body. I'm sure I can render it without the hidden body and use GIMP with a body render to remove the extra shadow, but it would be nice if the template wouldn't render the shadow of an object with the hiding blue material.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I checked that and for some reason I've done that material wrong (I don't know why), but you can fix it by turning off its nodes and unchecking Traceable.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New version 2.10 release:
-Added nodes what can be used to mix & crop terrain tiles with a custom image (works with Mask and Output nodes)
-Fixed edge crop against background which previously resulted bad bad anti-aliasing with Alpha Convert
-Fixed Hiding Blue material which was broken and provided really bad blue anti-aliasing on edges
-Reorganized the nodes a bit

Agent Z
AA Infantry

Location: LocationNotFoundException at RealLife.Location.find() at line: -1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great work! I use this template (cycles one) for all my blender-made stuff!

cookie110
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice work!

deathreaperz
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For infantry, how to make the camera animating/rotating each frame like RA2 infantry does??

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There's two ways for that:

1. You parent lights and camera to a empty cube and animate that cube for each rotation, lights and camera will follow.

2. You rotate infantry's master bone for each direction.

This all can be made easier with NLA Editor.

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there any way to resize the rendered image canvas? (not the resolution)

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you need to connect those dots, set your scale, select the right folder and change the file subpath. This will save another set of render to the chosen location, so I suggest you to check Placeholder from the Render tab to save space as the first set will be just blue.

template_canvas01.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.39 KB
 Viewed:  12855 Time(s)

template_canvas01.PNG

PussyPus
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You mean the option titled mask in the left, is where you change the render canvas size by editing both X and Y? the image shows it's X: 280, and Y: 280.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 2 of 5 [207 Posts] Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon