Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Fan Sites and Brands. I need some serious help with that.
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject:  Fan Sites and Brands. I need some serious help with that.
Subject description: PPM must live in China
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some days ago I was contacted by a guy from brand registration company from China with the email below:

Quote:
Dear Sir or Madam,
We are a service agency for brand authentication. Our center received an authentication application from YaZulan Int'l Company on June 2, 2015. They applied for the registration and authentication of "ppmsite" brand official website. But we found that the registration of "ppmsite" brand wasn't connected to your official website. You are the legitimate owner of this brand. Once the authentication is passed, it will cause great confusion and impairment of interest to the real owner of "ppmsite" brand.
Now, we are processing this application. Our center needs to confirm whether this company is authorized by your company. If so, we will continue the next step of authentication. If not, please let me know as soon as possible in order that our center can deal with this problem timely. We await your prompt reply.
Best Regards
Jim Dong
Senior Adviser

As far as I've researched, the Jim Dong's company seemed to be legitimate.

Anyway, PPM has a considerable amount of chinese members visiting and participating from this community. I'm also aware of how Chinese authorities are concerned about how users of their country browse the internet and, to keep things fine for PPM, please, do not discuss this subject here, since this is a public forum. So, my objective here is to keep PPM accessible by the chinese community in the way it always were.

Project Perfect Mod (that's the name of this community and not ppmsite like some of you insist calling it) was founded in 2000. It's a community of modders and fans of games with no business in mind. We've moved through several URLs until one of our hosters (Hybrid) provide us our first domain: ppmsite.com. The term ppmsite was choosen because ppm.com was registered by the Pacific Paper Market company and projectperfectmod.com was too big at that time. Nowadays, we own ppmsite.com, .net,. org, ppmforums.com, .net, .org and projectperfectmod.com, among few other domains.

I've been contacting this Jim Dong, informed him that I don't know the company who applied for that brand. He has been putting some pressure on me to register that brand there, otherwise my site could be considered a fake website in China. I've been trying to slow him down. If I were to take that brand, he explained me the process recently:

Quote:
Of course, register by yourself is the best way to protect the intellectual property rights. Following is the procedure, you can do follow it.

1. We will send the dispute application form to you.
2. Please fill out the form and return it via email(scanned) or fax.
3. We will dispute the brand name for your company, in the meantime, we will send the invoice signed & stamped to you.
4. Please remit the payment to us according to the bank information on the invoice and send the payment proof to us.
5. You will be awarded the certificates of brand name after 15 workdays.

Following is price list, for your reference:
Brand name
PPMSITE        180USD/per year
Please make a decision then tell us. If you decide to register the brand name, please let us know in order to transfer the application form to you. Any question, please contact us in time. Thanks for your cooperation.

180 dollars per year for something that won't be sold seems to be very expensive for me. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Banshee on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So he is basically saying if you dont pay $180 your website will be blocked in China!? Sounds like a dodgy scam TBH, I wouldn't pay them anything.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are the two emails that he has also sent to try to convince me about register the brand:

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. In the Chinese Internet, it's very important for brand operation to authenticate for the brand.

In the field of the network, some traditional trademark infringements expand and derive in new forms such as the establishment of fake websites and the abuse of trademark information. Brand authentication is to establish an effective protection mechanism for Internet brands. In order to improve customers' trust, prevent potential swindlers' and other infringers' illegal activities, our center's authentication can make your brand correspond to the only legitimate official website and let users know the corresponding main website of brand authentication they select to visit.

At last, I need to confirm that if you need apply for authentication by yourself, please contact me timely. I will send you relevant processes and forms of authentication for brand. If you think that company's authentication application won't affect your company's future benefits, your company can give up. Thus we can finish that company's application. Please tell me your company's decision about this question as soon as possible.

And it was followed by this one some days later:

Quote:
I'm very sorry for disturbing you. You haven't replied the email I sent you all the time. I think you know the importance of brand authentication. Brand authentication is open, so we don't have the right to reject their application. If you don't apply for brand authentication, the third-party company can apply for it. Once they pass the authentication, they will receive a relevant certificate. It has a legal basis. If there is something wrong with your brand and intellectual property in the future, it's none of my concern because I have informed you.

Please reply me after reading the email as soon as possible. If we don't receive your reply within 2 days, I will inform our audit department to pass the third-party company's authentication application for the brand authentication. Concerning the mentioned Brand Authentication, please confirm whether you need to authenticate by yourself. If yes, we can send you application form and procedures. I'm looking forward to your prompt reply. Thank you.

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scam. See how they keeps using 'PPMSITE' as the supposed "brand" name which is basically the domain, the only piece of information they have on you. Chinese spammer folk send a lot of fake e-mails the subject of which are always "brand" and domain issues in China and issues coming from brand name clashes, because it might supposedly already be registered in China. Shouldn't have replied, I'm surprised it didn't land in your spam folder.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Update: You're right, it is really a scam. If you see the Google results, the chinese TBS has a different URL.

G-E
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clever BS hah...

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Clever bullshit to make money alright, besides even if was true, paying for such is ridiculous consideration I wouldn't consider.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Replying them in chinese will be funny.....
Try this:
滚犊子,能滚多远滚多远

BTW. Nobody, no company can ban you in China. GFW won't let you pass even you pay some money.

And why you care about Chinese members' access? All Chinese users here are from RA2diy.  Very Happy

MOST STUPID THING I SAW: NO CHINESE VERSION OF THAT COMPANY'S SITE! Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Allied General
General

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace!