Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Warning about a asset thief
Moderators: Global Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Stygs
Cyborg Cannon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject:  Warning about a asset thief
Subject description: Just incase you get any requests from Crystal Nova
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Since stealing assets from mods is generally frowned upon at PPM, I thought this might be of interest for some CnC3 modder:

Be careful when dealing with a german modder named Crystal Nova!  Rolling Eyes

About a year (or even more) ago I gave him an copy of my XML files (from Tiberium Wars Advanced) and told him how to use bibbers tools to extract models and other assets from mods (as he disagreed with some of the recent changes made in TWA, he wanted to make a private version to play with friends based on an older TWA release).
Initially, he seemed very friendly and for a while we had a lot of discussions about his ideas and suggestions.

However, at the beginning of this year, he suddenly released his mod on ModDB without asking us first, named it Tiberium Wars Advanced 1.8 and made it look like an official release despite no one from the original TWA team having worked on it (he also failed to mention the original mod makers in any way and then basically told me to ztype off since "you can't copyright a mod" as he put it).
He also often talked about things he liked in other mods, so I would not be supprised if he had stolen things from others too (he also uploaded a lot of maps and mods on ModDB, but he usually mentioned the creators).

We deleted all the mirrors of his mod that we found, but a while ago he uploaded the TWA XML files on ModDB and now it seems he is asking people to fix models he ripped from earlier TWA releases.

So yeah, if you ever get any messages from him, its best to just ignore him.  Wink

CrystalNova
Civilian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
he suddenly released his mod on ModDB without asking us first,

ok, stop, please.  We can't talk about a team. In fact, the Thundermods team dont exist anymore.
Golan left the team two years ago and the others are inactive or, at least, involved in other projects. (WrathEd)
So, you are the only one who works on this project - for several years already.

Due to this, i can imagine that you are glad about somebody who was interested in your work because the cumbersome method to create a cnc3 mod frightens many people from modding cnc3.

But I'm very thankful that you gave me source code to me, so I can finish your awesome project finally. What I don't understand is that you lose your focus on it. I proposed you to make two versions - a release and a test version, three-two years ago.

I can say that twa 1.73 is still far away to be a stable version and the cnc3 community become steadily smaller, year by year.
The people are waiting for the 1.73 release for a such long time and you dont care about them.

There are other great mods for cnc3 like mec or cnc fallout, of course. The point is, those mods takes cnc3 in an other universe.
The other mods which takes place in the tiberium universe or improve/enhance the original game are - i'm sry to say - ****.

Tib Apocalypse contains terrible models, KW reloaded is badly coded and i dont like the blocky unit design from Tiberium Essence.

As far you can see, there is not many possibilities to import new models for twa and i dont know somebody which can create good looking models like Golan. (except ES_Chrizz, but it seems, that he has his own plans with them)

So, my friends here in the forum, you can breathe a sigh of relief Wink

Hmm okay, there is an old model from golan that i much rather prefer than the slingshot - the centurion - and this why I requested megumi two-three days ago. I would like to know about what he/she think of my code that i made - maybe she/he can take a look into twa_1.52 with her/his latest wrathed version. But I get no answer. Rolling Eyes

Needless to say, it doesnt exist a copyright on overworked cnc3 models.

To come to conclusion, the word "rip-off" disturbs me. My TWA version is based on 1.73, okay. But stygs doesnt mention that twa 1.75 - not 1.8, by the way - includes new stuff from kanes wrath, is to be fully stable version without asyncs and the main thing - a fixed campaign. All things that he have planned for a release version.

Just my two cents.

Ah, here is the download link for the mod - TWA 1.75, have fun:

[link censoured]

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon
Quick Reply
Username:

If you are visually impaired or cannot otherwise answer the challenges below please contact the Administrator for help.

Write only two of the following words separated by a sharp: Brotherhood, unity, peace! 

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum