Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 pm
All times are UTC + 0
Windows 10
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [38 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:24 am    Post subject:  Windows 10 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well Windows 10 is out and about. Anybody else who upgraded to it?

Speeder
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's watching you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've heard it is a great spyware.

Steve_1993
Rocket Cyborg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It may be good,but I'll stick with Windows 7

Aro
Alcohol Fueled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using it and so far I love it (compared to Windows 8.1), there's quite a lot of settings you have to mess around with in order to prevent all the fore-mentioned "spyware" bullshit that is all switched on by default, though. Make sure you educate yourself on what you're installing before you actually do.

I did a post about Windows 10 with TI and the TS Engine here, if any of you are curious about how it functions.

Graion Dilach
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It froze on both of my best friend's PC in the second boot. Might be the autoupdater going full crazy.

Right now, I'm not convinced to switch back to Win.

=======================
WeiDU mods: Random Graion Tweaks | Graion's Soundsets
Maintainance: Extra Expanded Enhanced Encounters! | BGEESpawn
Contributions: EE Fixpack | Enhanced Edition Trilogy | DSotSC (Trilogy) | UB_IWD | SotSC & a lot more...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID
Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most of the extra privacy issues people are honking about seem to be in the Pro Versions though. Already disabled most of the common ones people are wary.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can force the update by just downloading it from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can choose to download it as ISO/Flash Drive/Direct Update

It's 6 Gig though but you can still do other stuff while it's downloading and you can't stop it. (If you fail halfway you have to start over again)

If you're stuck with Windows 8 at least its definitely a much better version of Windows to use.

BySc
Cyborg Artillery

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm using now but some programs (like as vxse 3) and some drivers doesnt work for me.

Algerian Major
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You need to know that Windows 7 x64bit is the best gaming OS for PC if you move to Windows 10 for instance there are some games/apps that were not designed to work with Win 10 (mainly old stuff) so Im sticking with Win 7
the only good thing in Windows 10 is its Flat minimistic Theme

Crimsonum
Seth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
You can force the update by just downloading it from here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You can choose to download it as ISO/Flash Drive/Direct Update

It's 6 Gig though but you can still do other stuff while it's downloading and you can't stop it. (If you fail halfway you have to start over again)

If you're stuck with Windows 8 at least its definitely a much better version of Windows to use.

I heard that they are deliberately delaying the update for some people because some hardware drivers have conflicted with Windows 10. So they are trying to solve those problems before releasing the update to said systems.

Aside from that it's the "oh no I'm afraid of change" mentality everywhere again. Sooner or not you're going to have to upgrade if you want to stick to Windows, as there won't be Windows >10. At least not according to Microsoft's current strategy. They're just going to keep updating Win 10 indefinitely while shifting to a subscription-like licensing model.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Crimsonum wrote:
They're just going to keep updating Win 10 indefinitely while shifting to a subscription-like licensing model.

At this point that assumption is another common piece of FUD. Currently it looks like Microsoft is trying to gather their Windows income from companies (the Enterprise version of Windows does not get the free upgrade), the Windows Store (they get a cut of each "app" sold) and from ads in search. If their current plan fails, then they might try to switch to a subscription-like model.

Another reason for delaying the update is the massive load that the upgrade is causing on their servers. They just can't distribute Windows 10 to everyone at once.

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm waiting for a bit so all the initial bugs and issues are fixed. If (or better said, when) I get it, I will take the opportunity to reinstall my PC and install Windows on an SSD.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, since I got the "Something Happened" problem on my upgrade, I had to do a clean install. Now, my activation key has been blocked. I cannot downgrade to windows 7 since I have long lost my discs and activation keys, and to activate my 10 I am forced to buy a key. I tried calling microsoft, but we all know how that is. Looks like I"m gonna be out 200 USD since I can't do anything. I had 7 Ultimate before so I have to buy a Pro Key. It's almost cheaper for me to buy 10 pro than it is for me to 7 Ultimate discs.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So does it still make non-Ares Red Alert 2 run like shit?
Will it still turn the TS/TI menus invisible half the time?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

TI, DTA and TS all come with a compatibility fix that fixes many performance issues. I personally require the TS-DDRAW renderer for the best performance however and this is most likely the case for most people.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You know daTS, it's perfectly legal to download the windows 7 ISO's, see http://bit.ly/1IZHwZN http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery and then burn them to a USB if needed.

I got forced into Windows 10 myself, and it's running smooth anyway, hardly crashes considering it's M$. Runs OpenRA, MO, and YR fine, haven't tested much else, but if it runs on Win8, it runs on 10 since it's the same damn OS Base...

BTW, I haven't seen anyone write a tutorial on this yet, but the only way to turn off User Account Control entirely in Windows 10 is by changing the Local Security Policy > Local Policies > Security Options > UAC: Run all Administrators in Admin Approval Mode to Disabled manually.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4SG, Unfortunately I don't have my Windows 7 Keys anymore, so I can't activate it. I'd be stuck in a perpetual loop of inactive upgrades #Tongue Honestly though, I don't mind buying a legit copy of 10 pro. It's only 200 USD. My car payment is 5 times that (997USD) #Tongue I make pretty good money so buying it isn't a problem, it's just that I got boned out of a perfectly legal free copy because microsoft pushed the release out too soon. I might just use a windows 10 activator out of purely principle.

EDIT: Used an activator. Saved 200 bucks. Gonna upgrade my PC #Tongue

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account
4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well if you ever need to get it otherwise, here's a great place to obtain said legal entities: http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap

I can attest for at least s5ean and javier as both being legitimate business, and prompt.

XxpeddyxX
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Upgraded today. Wasn't able to install RA2/YR at all but managed to get the current copy on my HDD working, geed to continue modding lol.

ayylmao on Discord

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

daTS did you download the appropriate equivalent of your Windows version? If you had Basic then upgraded to Premium Pro then yeah it would get messed up though.

daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had 7 Ultimate and upgraded to 10 pro. It seems most people don't know what happened. Here is the chain of events:

-Clicked "Upgrade to 10" in the notification bar of a fully legal and activated copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that I've had for years.
-Waited for Upgrade to install. Just had the default upgrade settings.
-"SOMETHING HAPPENED"
-Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro FAILED
-Had to go download a 10 Pro ISO to a flashdrive.
-Installed 10 Pro on another hard drive so that I could recover important files from primary.
-Talked to Microsoft because windows refused to activate. They were no help and said "Sorry we boned your computer. Pay us 200 USD and you can activate your pro.
-Said ztype that and used a third party activator.

Overall, I actually quite like it. Many of the games and programs run better on it. 3DS Max runs beautifully.

I actually just bought a 250GB SSD and installed Windows 10 on it using the previously mentioned activator. This thing boots up stupid fast. It takes longer for my BIOS to post than it does for windows to load. Smile I installed all the OS and Starmade on the HDD. Everything else that doesn't need fast access speeds to load is installed on my standard HDD. Smile

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You used a third party activator/crack for Windows 10? I think it would be better to do that for a downloaded Windows 7 build and then upgrading that to Windows 10, since it'll become a legit version then.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL
daTS
Mr. Moosey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't have my windows 7 discs anywhere near here.

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think you misunderstood me. What I was saying is that if you're gonna crack it anyhow, you're better off cracking Windows 7 (or downloading a cracked version) instead of cracking Windows 10 (which might end up giving you issues in the future, especially since updates can't be disabled or prevented).

Since most people in China use cracked versions of Windows and Microsoft wants them to upgrade to Windows 10 as well, Microsoft isn't particularly strict when you try to upgrade a cracked version of Windows 7 or Windows 8 to 10 and it'll become legit after the upgrade.

I'd say it's only fair to end up with a truly legit version of Windows 10 when you do own a legit version of Windows 7, even if it has to be done via such a method.

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Only issue with Windows 10 I'm having is, I have to set every damn program to 'run as admin' manually, otherwise it won't write on install or save or anything like that. Know of a fix?

Bittah Commander
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

While it is possible to completely disable User Account Control via Local Security Policy, doing that will completely prevent you from running any kind of app (meaning even something as simple as the calculator), so it's not really recommendable.

Just Selecting the lowest User Account Control strictness setting does allow most programs to properly install and function already, but for programs that do need to be always run as admin, you can enable "Run this program as an administrator" on the compatibility tab of properties.

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I turned off the stupid updater since I don't feel like updating right now. I still use a few things in 8.1 that don't come in 10 so I'm sticking with 8.1 on my tower, 7 on my laptop and OSX 10.6 on my Mac Mini. #Tongue

I do plan on getting a copy of Windows 10 eventually though. Probably snag a key for $25 and go from there. Wonder when the new server OS is coming...

Steam

badbully
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Don't update to windows 10 it is a spyware I just installed  the trial then uninstalled if you read the eula you won't even think in download it and you will be surprised if you know all my upload speed has gone once I installed it I thought it is uploading some sort of personal data and all my pirated games has stopped working and most of torrents doesn't work know and it will ban you from accessing hacking and piracy website I don't want to type a secret of mine about hacking windows basic codes on facebook then find my self arrested next day.

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/windows-10-watching-you-fans-6187498

EDIT: if you want it to test disable your internet connection first  Confused

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lol, no. It does not prevent you from playing pirated games or torrenting. What likely took your upload speed is the new P2P way of distributing updates. I agree that it's a stupid default, but it's easily turned off.

As for the EULA, it's not that different from the Win7/8 EULAs AFAIK. What's different is that this time they have a lot more services actually collecting data, like compatibility telemetry and such. A lot of them can be turned off too, although I am somewhat concerned of them. Then again, if you own any smartphone or use a Mac, your data has been getting collected for a while already.

UI wise, I think 10 > 7 > 8.1. I find the new start menu better than 7's, there's more space in it.

I've personally seen a few issues (system freezing for a while when TS is exited, window border graphics getting corrupted), so I wouldn't recommend it yet. The lack of control over Windows update and the privacy controls not allowing to disable all data mining (unless running the Enterprise version) is also bad. Otherwise I like it.

badbully
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

4StarGeneral
General

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could simply stop pirating.

badbully
Grenadier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

^Rampastein wrote:
And my answer is here: http://www.techpowerup.com/215297/license-agreement-confusion-causes-misinformation-over-windows-10-overreach.html

In other words, they might kill your pirated software, but only if you pirate Windows store apps.
. I don't care about license agreement but I hate when someone remote my computer without an agreement of me before it does anything. most of programs I download I just click next next next next install finish plus it is a great opportunity for hackers to hack the link that Microsoft use to remote my computer then they use it for other purposes plus why didn't Microsoft tell people that they edited the agreement "i know it would be harmful for business" and that they will remote their computer plus I don't trust Indians at anything "Satya Nadella" and 4SG well that is an ordinary you as..

Atomic_Noodles
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does anyone even buy stuff from the Windows Store anyway?

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

badbully wrote:
...but I hate when someone remote my computer without an agreement of me before it does anything.

You've agreed on it when you accepted the license agreement on installation. Plus MS certainly isn't remote controlling your computer, Win10 just collects some data and installs updates automatically.
badbully wrote:
...most of programs I download I just click next next next next install finish plus it is a great opportunity for hackers to hack the link that Microsoft use to remote my computer then they use it for other purposes

Maybe you should change that habit. Not MS' fault if you install malware. The most common issue with a computer (including Windows) is located between the monitor and the chair.
badbully wrote:
...plus I don't trust Indians at anything "Satya Nadella" and 4SG well that is an ordinary you as..

Maybe Linux would suit you better then.

4StarGeneral wrote:
You could simply stop pirating.

There's also this option. As a developer I wouldn't mind one bit if MS killed pirated software, especially pirated Windows Store apps/games. Not that they could disable all pirated desktop apps even if they wanted.

Atomic_Noodles wrote:
Does anyone even buy stuff from the Windows Store anyway?

I read somewhere that Windows 10 users use the Windows Store 6 times more often than Windows 8 users did. I don't think it's really significant right now, but as Windows 10 market share rises, so does the importance of the Windows Store. If I released an indie game today, I'd certainly put it on the Windows Store (in addition to all other platforms, of course).

FurryQueen
General

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

People complaining about Windows 10 "shutting off" pirated software again? I thought this shit was over a week ago. Goddamn people, learn how to comprehend. That applies only to Microsoft Services, of which... Windows is NOT.

Also, you don't need the Enterprise version to disable updates and the like. It just requires Pro.

Steam

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [38 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon