Project Perfect Mod Forums
:: Home :: Get Hosted :: PPM FAQ :: Forum FAQ :: Privacy Policy :: Search :: Memberlist :: Usergroups :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::

The time now is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am
All times are UTC + 0
This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays?
Moderators: Global Moderators, Offtopic Moderators
Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [42 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic
kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:  This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PM1.
Code:

To:   kenosis
Posted:   Today, at 07:57
Subject:   CNC3 & RA3 Voxels/SHPs/3D Models/Instructions   Quote message
Hi, i'm making a megamod for OpenRA featuring 9 sides, GDI, Nod, Scrin, Cabal, Forgotten, Allied, Soviet, Yuri and The Empire Of The Rising Sun.

It will take me some time to find a way to convert all of these units & buildings to shp & voxels, and i saw your thread and you have a working template.

So, what i'd want from you is instructions on how to convert all of these myself, and all of the resources you have already made.

If you could provide me with all of this, i'd be eternaly gratefull, and when i'd release the megamod i'd be sure to credit you!

Thanks for reading  

PM2.

Code:

Posted:   Today, at 19:11
Subject:   Re: CNC3 & RA3 Voxels/SHPs/3D Models/Instructions   Quote message
kenosis wrote:
ALL of the resources I have already made?

ALL?

You seriously mean ALL? Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked  Shocked Surprised
Search my threads and you will find some. But I won't bother to search through my HD to find and pack ALL.
Sorry, you are asking too much.  I wont give out this much work for actually nothing in return.
And if you checked my thread carefully you WILL find my shp tools, including template and instructions.

Well, all from the sides actually, buildings, units, vehicles ect ect. Not ALL as in everything you have ever done. If you want really specific, all robot units & cyborgs from Nod & pretty much everything scrin. Is this all still too much?

The end.
Code:

Posted:   Today, at 23:38
Subject:   Re: CNC3 & RA3 Voxels/SHPs/3D Models/Instructions   Quote message
Well, i tried to be nice, it's not often i find people like you, i was just asking you something, i wasn't forcing you to do anything, and now you're pissed off?

Go ztype yourself mate

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nothing new there, just another n00b who wants everything without any effort & then gets upset when they realize the world doesn't work that way >.>

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Similar to how i ask help from people. :p

but hey can't deny he have ambitious mod plan! that I'm not even dare to think about. Very Happy

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Was there no message from you between message #2 and #3? Why does he get aggressive like that? Nothing you said seemed very "pissed off", so I don't understand his accusation.

You should report it, and be done with it.

Our mission, unfinished, may take a thousand years.  

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mynameislol wrote:
Hi, i'm making a megamod for OpenRA featuring 9 sides, GDI, Nod, Scrin, Cabal, Forgotten, Allied, Soviet, Yuri and The Empire Of The Rising Sun.

Still boggles my mind some fools come up with ztyping garbage like this and don't get the idea to just CHANGE faction names.

You can just take the IDEA behind a faction and turn that in a brand-new TC faction without the remasticated EVERY-C&C-ARMY-VS-EVERY-C&C-ARMY concept.

Last edited by RatsInTheWalls on Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I said I'm pissed off.
Simple as that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Skype Account Yahoo Messenger Account
Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RatsInTheWalls wrote:
EVERY-C&C-ARMY-VS-EVERY-C&C-ARMY

No one ever bothers to include all of them, in fact I would play a skirmish with every army against every army (including the forgotten and CABAL and other's that were never playable) it would be interesting to watch such a mighty battle, much more take part in it.
But I won't do that.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Isaac_The_Madd wrote:
RatsInTheWalls wrote:
EVERY-C&C-ARMY-VS-EVERY-C&C-ARMY

No one ever bothers to include all of them, in fact I would play a skirmish with every army against every army (including the forgotten and CABAL and other's that were never playable) it would be interesting to watch such a mighty battle, much more take part in it.
But I won't do that.

Others? Like the FS Tiberium Cultists and Civilian Rioters factions? #Tongue
Seriously though, I think an allstars mod is interesting idea, but it wouldn't go beyond skirmish. Can't imagine how you could make a campaign involving... Scrin VS Yuri... or something like that.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:

Seriously though, I think an allstars mod is interesting idea.

Not interesting nor fresh idea. The fact is who want to make such thing can't create any asset for it on his own, but only to ask for ALL things he can use,like that n00b.

For those who can create assets, meh. Not interested. Too tiring.

ApolloTD
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
Millennium wrote:

Seriously though, I think an allstars mod is interesting idea.

Not interesting nor fresh idea. The fact is who want to make such thing can't create any asset for it on his own, but only to ask for ALL things he can use,like that n00b.

For those who can create assets, meh. Not interested. Too tiring.

There is certain similar mod in china and as expected, when you jam multiple universes in single mod, the balance is not working out as some factions are too diverse and others are more plain.

It's typical n00b idea to try put everything into one and also a shortcut method as lack any artistic skill to create something own and gladly would just slave some sucker to do the hard part (the assets).

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Even all star mod idea sound noob and nothing new but I never see anyone success to make such mod become reality. [only 5 factions in Tiberian Universe alone is hard hard enough]

to make that kind of mod look acceptable for me it need ton of work specialize graphic which everything need to remake in order to make all faction in the game fit together only just convert model from other game without make some by yourself is not enough to make it success anyway.

only closest all star mod that success to deliver I ever seen for now seem to be DTA.

for balance I still think it's possible it's depend on how modder manage it.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tons of work. nobody is willing or have the time to do that tons of work. even it is only import and render. if it is own model, then it means more tons of work.

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let me put this way it would be nice to see or partake in if you manage to balance it but who has the time for that, no one, even if you got someone else to make all the assets it would take at least 5 years and by then you will be sick of it.
It may be an okay-ish idea but that is all it ever will be.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And when you finish it, ra2 would already be a dead game. Nobody will still spend this much time (like modders do) playing it.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

truly 4-5 years to finish this kind of mod still very fast when compare with most mod we have here on PPM not mention if he decide to work on it alone... :p

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I meant 5-10 years but it is a little fast.

kenosis
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Actually, rendering official models isn't too hard. I can do a whole side in one day but.....it makes me mad.
Besides assets. C&P tons of art, units INI and then edit them is also annoying.

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

he said he plan to make mod for Openra I don't think only just all faction GFX is enough.

Last edited by Holy_Master on Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Isaac_The_Madd
AA Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This is how n00bs ask for things nowadays? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kenosis wrote:
Code:

So not only all the work mentioned earlier but instead of rules,art, and ai .ini we have the openra coding which from what hear is even more of a pain to do.

10 years sounds reasonable.

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Coding Openra is a pain only when you don't know what you're doing, or when you don't know the latests changes in the code.

Anyway, maybe the forum needs a FAQ or tutorial about how to ask stuff to modders  Laughing , it could have things  like, "don't ask people to do all your work", or... "do the menial task yourself and ask help only for important stuff", " show some progress before trying to recruit a team..."  "An image says more than walls of text" and so on... So, if something like this happens again the and person who is asking doesn't follow the procedure, you can just ignore the request, give him the link of the faq, and tell him to re write the request.

It would save some time at the very least.

Creator of Shattered Paradise .
ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Holy_Master
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My problem with OpenRA is more like I don't know where to start specialize something relate to game system like change how UI work also Multi production factory thingy...

If he want only just add units,buildings and new factions to the game I don't think he have another problem more than just graphic asset.

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, back when I was a nubcake i wanted to do an all stars mod but I at least asked how to do things instead of just asking for everything on a silver platter.

Kenosis you are a stronger person than I because I would have ripped into them. I mean to shreds....

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Zengar_Zombolt wrote:
Kenosis you are a stronger person than I because I would have ripped into them. I mean to shreds....

Mad This is a no-ripping modding community, we do not condone ripping or mods with ripped assets.  Mad

Laughing

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:
Even all star mod idea sound noob and nothing new but I never see anyone success to make such mod become reality. [only 5 factions in Tiberian Universe alone is hard hard enough]

to make that kind of mod look acceptable for me it need ton of work specialize graphic which everything need to remake in order to make all faction in the game fit together only just convert model from other game without make some by yourself is not enough to make it success anyway.

only closest all star mod that success to deliver I ever seen for now seem to be DTA.

Yes, that's what I meant. It's a totally overused idea and one that doesn't take alot of creativity to come up with, but I still like the concept for skirmish only AND I have never seen anyone actually pull it off. Usually, these mods run aground sometime into the development process (again probably because it's inexperienced modders who try them).

On that note, and at the risk of getting half a page full of facepalm memes (yeah, yeah), is there a documentation on OpenRA? I used to not care about that engine at all, but I'm getting more and more interested...

Zengar_Zombolt
Plasma Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RatsInTheWalls wrote:
Zengar_Zombolt wrote:

Mad This is a no-ripping modding community, we do not condone ripping or mods with ripped assets.  Mad

Laughing

[img=200x120]http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/690/574/21f.png[/img]

ohh you

There is Nothing I can not Cut!

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:

On that note, and at the risk of getting half a page full of facepalm memes (yeah, yeah), is there a documentation on OpenRA? I used to not care about that engine at all, but I'm getting more and more interested...

Most info comes from asking things, the engine isn't too hard to use, you just have to understand how it works, you can ask questions on their freenode chat -> #openra, and they also have some info on their wiki on github.

ORA Discord https://discordapp.com/invite/tuhp9m6 , SP Discord https://discord.gg/hk428Wk

Dutchygamer
President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Banshee
Supreme Banshee

Also Known As: banshee_revora (Steam)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nolt wrote:
Anyway, maybe the forum needs a FAQ or tutorial about how to ask stuff to modders  Laughing , it could have things  like, "don't ask people to do all your work", or... "do the menial task yourself and ask help only for important stuff", " show some progress before trying to recruit a team..."  "An image says more than walls of text" and so on... So, if something like this happens again the and person who is asking doesn't follow the procedure, you can just ignore the request, give him the link of the faq, and tell him to re write the request.

It would save some time at the very least.

We have a couple of things so far:

- "FAQ: Banshee, I have a TS, YR or ZH editing question!": http://www.ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8929

- "FAQ: The importance of a well written post.": http://www.ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=16724

- " Are you starting a mod public? Please, read this first...": http://www.ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7398

Maybe we need one of those topics specific for resources.

^Rampastein
Rampastring

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy_Master wrote:

Even I (as a part of DTA staff) dislike the idea of all-star mods. In DTA it only works because the factions already have graphics that look fitting compared to each other and because they're already part of the same story, and because we've spent an enormous amount of time on properly balancing each side while keeping them unique. Usually all-star mods just become a huge, graphically ugly mess with extremely poor balancing and no storyline.

Some people have asked us to include TS and RA2 tech in addition to TD and RA1 tech and factions, but that's never going to happen.

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So in the past I've often thought about these kinds of C&C Smash Bros mods, and how you could use that interestingly.

You don't need the actual factions in an all star mod to have it play like that.

You can just deconstruct the factions in their bare essentials and remake them in your own Total Conversion.

Let's look at the various factions that came across in WestWood's library.

Dune games:
Arteides: Nice guys relying on damage.
Harkonnen: Bad guys relying on armour.
Ordos: Bad guys relying on speed.

Tiberian games:
Nod: Bad guys relying on speed and outlawed technology.
GDI: Good guys relying on armour and military-industrial complex.
Mutants: Neutral guys with special powers.
CABAL: Bad guys relying on technology.
Scrin: Bad guys with special powers.

Red Alert games:
Allies: Nice guys relying on speed.
Soviets: Bad guys relying on armour.
Yuri: Bad guys relying on special powers.
Empire: Bad guys relying on technology.

Generals games:
USA: Nice guys relying on technology.
China: Neutral guys relying on armour.
GLA: Bad guys relying on speed.

Then you stuff all similar factions together, like how there's little difference between the Harkonnen, GDI, Soviets and China or the Ordos, Nod, Allies and GLA.

Eventually you'll get a number of barebone faction concepts that you can build upon to create an original fresh faction for a TC that feels reminicent of C&C factions, but in fact is, plays, behaves and looks different.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh gosh, a C&C crossover WITH DUNE. That _is_ a novelty, I think.

All the good/bad guys things don't really translate into gameplay mechanics, so you can strip those away pretty early, although they may affect some technology/weapon selections (ie chemical weapons and flamethrowers being obvious choices for "evil" factions).

Also I think WW (and later EA) might have intended Nod and GLA to play off speed and stealth factors, but the AI was never very proficient at making use of that - in Gen/ZH, the GLA is just a spammer (actually, I would argue it's the worst spammer of all the factions), and stealth/infiltration is only used in scripted things, like Ambush.
Maybe post-ZH games are different, I must admitt I've never played them.
And I think both Nod and GLA play off superior range to a large degree (GLA moreso than Nod). Not that they have a big selection of long-range units, but Artillery, Scud and Rocket Buggy are decisive units.

Also, thanks to those people who replied to my question on OpenRA documentation Smile

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's not that novel since that's what Yuri's Revenge basically is.

Dune in C&C.

Allies = Arteides
Soviets = Harkonnen
Yuri = Ordos

Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RatsInTheWalls wrote:
It's not that novel since that's what Yuri's Revenge basically is.

Dune in C&C.

Allies = Arteides
Soviets = Harkonnen
Yuri = Ordos

Nothing is new if you take it to their basics, and tbh, whether it's a innovative mod or not, doesn't depend on the factions, depends on how the modder(s) merges the whole thing.

Also, the Dune games can't match the books, they're just a small part of the whole universe, and the Ordos are not cannon.

Millennium
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just fluff-wise, anything in the main C&C universe would get terribly owned by the Dune factions, since they're technically several millennia ahead in technology...

Not so sure about the Scrin (or post-invasion GDI/Nod in general), but anything before that is doomed.

badbully
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Millennium wrote:
Just fluff-wise, anything in the main C&C universe would get terribly owned by the Dune factions, since they're technically several millennia ahead in technology...

Not so sure about the Scrin (or post-invasion GDI/Nod in general), but anything before that is doomed.

If the Dune factions were actually based on the Dune books, Nod vs. any Dune faction would be pretty... destructive.

The Dune faction would just have to send ONE soldier towards an Obelisk of Light and BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

OmegaBolt
President

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Except Dune is not exactly a high technology future.

Mig Eater
Defense Minister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The main Dune story isn't because complex technology was banned after an intergalactic war against robots that enslaved the human race.

I always thought that a Dune prequel mod with hi-tech weapons would be a lot more interesting then just another D2K/Emperor remake.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ModDB Profile ID YouTube User URL Facebook Profile URL Twitter Channel URL
Nolt
Cyborg Firebomber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The books never focused much on big scale war or high tech weapons, the first book has most details about that matter, after that, it becomes an adventure story, they focus about philosofy of the universe, survival skills, inhuman abilities of certain factions (like the Bene Gesserit, who are always present) or the tleilaxu face dancers, and excentric weapons for domination or assasination, but nothing on a big scale.

I can't remember of any doomsday superweapon or any overpowered gun, that's not how things work there. The only exception to that rule is lasers + shield, shoot a shield with a laser and you get an instant nuke, and also shields attract worms on arrakis, so both aren't meant to be used there.

The Tleilaxu of the book are not an Umbrella corp like on Emperor, they're master infiltrators. A RPG or a tactical game could show the potencial of the francise better imo. but again, the factions of Dune are not as trigger happy as our factions.

RatsInTheWalls
Rocket Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, nukes still exist in Dune.

Atomics.

DonutArnold
General

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting, his avatar looks utterly familiar... well because I made it. (Omgggripperzzzlololol, whatever, don't care, anyone can use it, it's an old asset... but I wonder where the heck did he get it?)

Matthias M.
Stealth Laser Trooper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We also get this mash everything in one mod requests a lot. Those people often don't have the endurance to finish anything. I now tend to ignore those crackpot ideas and try to help kickstart high quality total conversions and other more serious projects instead.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Page 1 of 1 [42 Posts] Mark the topic unread ::  View previous topic :: View next topic

Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on DiggShare on RedditShare on PInterestShare on Del.icio.usShare on Stumble Upon